Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any Info on This 1970s Beaut?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 06:17 PM
twm182

Bikes: 89 Trek 660, 94 Rockhopper Grocery-Getter, No Name Carbon Franken[road]bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hi folks, could anyone help me ID and provide any other info on this bike I picked up the other day? No "make" decal or head badge has made things quite frustrating. I'm planning a full overhaul/resto.

I'm fairly new to the C&V scene so please correct any info I already have if needed but go easy on me: )

I can't find any exact matches on the frame anywhere. Perhaps it was made by an individual frame builder? I picked up another bike from the same seller also without any decals or badge (I'll likely post pictures of it later. It was his wife's from the same time period but 531 tubes with campy dropouts and 600 Arabasque groupset).

Thanks!

Tange Champion tubes. Sakae handlebar.

Seems like the shape and polished fork crown is unique. Can't find any exact matches.

The lugs seen on the inside of the fork look just like pictures of Nishiki Pro ONP but some of the other lugs don't match

This serial number looks like some Centurions I have seen, but I can't match the frame to any models. I would assume this indicated 1977?

First generation DA. The pedals are Lyotard. That "Professional" decal is the only identifying decal.

The dropouts are Shimano

Ideale 80 Type Record
Likes For twm182:
Old 12-09-20, 06:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,826 Times in 3,898 Posts
Originally Posted by twm182
Hi folks, could anyone help me ID and provide any other info on this bike I picked up the other day? No "make" decal or head badge has made things quite frustrating. I'm planning a full overhaul/resto.

I'm fairly new to the C&V scene so please correct any info I already have if needed but go easy on me: )

I can't find any exact matches on the frame anywhere. Perhaps it was made by an individual frame builder? I picked up another bike from the same seller also without any decals or badge (I'll likely post pictures of it later. It was his wife's from the same time period but 531 tubes with campy dropouts and 600 Arabasque groupset).

Thanks!

Tange Champion tubes. Sakae handlebar.

Seems like the shape and polished fork crown is unique. Can't find any exact matches.

The lugs seen on the inside of the fork look just like pictures of Nishiki Pro ONP but some of the other lugs don't match

This serial number looks like some Centurions I have seen, but I can't match the frame to any models. I would assume this indicated 1977?

First generation DA. The pedals are Lyotard. That "Professional" decal is the only identifying decal.

I have no idea but from the seat stay/lug, RDO and fork crown/tang treatment it seems like there should be a really good story here.

Looks very well made for having very production looking S/N.

What do I know?

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-10-20 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Edited redundant pictures
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-09-20, 06:34 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Liked 3,596 Times in 2,259 Posts
Reminds me of a Fuji build at the top end, but the fork throws me off.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 12-09-20, 06:39 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1,114 Times in 719 Posts
Nice bike. The chrome accents on only the dropout and the fork crown are quite nice touches. Also interesting is that it has a "Professional" decal, the Tange tubing decals but no others. I am not an expert here, however, since you got me to respond with seeing this bike, I will speculate that it was bought as a frame only. This is based on the mix of Japanese and European parts. I noticed a Huret cable guide. I will further guess that it is Japanese made frame. Let's see what the real experts say.

The detail of the chainstay and seatstay on the rear dropout is done well and I haven't seen that look before. Then again, I'm not at the level of others around here.
It looks like Imron or high quality paint too.
Old 12-09-20, 06:56 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Liked 2,790 Times in 960 Posts
Fork may be a Tange 124

Old 12-09-20, 06:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

[MENTION=502994]twm182[/MENTION]

After another look, the outline of or painted over sticker at the bottom of the ST looks like the IMO crappy "made in Japan" sticker that I have always thought looked like an afterthought.
Old 12-09-20, 07:01 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Liked 1,285 Times in 736 Posts
I think this is a Miki-produced Centurion Professional from 1977, based on recent posts about this era Centurion Pro and T-Mar's serial number guide. Sweet bike, and I love the color!

It's quickly becoming a bike I want to find in my size (which yours is not).
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 12-09-20, 07:12 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Well, there is this reference, which seems to tell a corroborating story, but that seat cluster is different.

Centurion Professional

Edit: I dunno — the more I see online, the less confident I am that I’m right.

Last edited by noobinsf; 12-09-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-09-20, 09:38 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
I agree

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I think this is a Miki-produced Centurion Professional from 1977, based on recent posts about this era Centurion Pro and T-Mar's serial number guide. Sweet bike, and I love the color!

It's quickly becoming a bike I want to find in my size (which yours is not).
Having owned three models of Centurion (no Pro) and original catalogs I agree.
And like you still watching for a Pro in my size!
Likes For grayEZrider:
Old 12-10-20, 02:46 AM
Addamsmith

Liked 71 Times in 20 Posts
love it beautiful colour
Old 12-10-20, 03:16 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,999 Times in 3,448 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
What do I know?
How to make me scroll a lot more in every thread with a bunch of redundant pics?

I mean, c'mon, man!

Old 12-10-20, 10:03 AM
twm182

Bikes: 89 Trek 660, 94 Rockhopper Grocery-Getter, No Name Carbon Franken[road]bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've got a few other questions too...

noobinsf ive seen a couple 1977 Professionals online but they differ from my bike in that either the fork, lugs, or decal are different. Is it possible that what I saw online were just not made in Miki and therefore slightly different? I figure regardless it was likely sold as just the frame?

When overhauling, if the bottom bracket is smooth and in good shape is there any reason to service? Possible servicing regardless may help with longevity? Or should I not try to fix what's not broken?

Any tips on reviving that saddle? Or is it just as easy as liberally applying conditioner? Favorite brands?

Lastly, any ideas on how much something like this would be worth? eBay or locally in a metro area? (I may very well keep it and ride it, but it'd be good to have a rough idea).

Thanks!

Last edited by twm182; 12-10-20 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-10-20, 11:15 AM
noobinsf 

noobinsf ive seen a couple 1977 Professionals online but they differ from my bike in that either the fork, lugs, or decal are different. Is it possible that what I saw online were just not made in Miki and therefore slightly different? I figure regardless it was likely sold as just the frame?

When overhauling, if the bottom bracket is smooth and in good shape is there any reason to service? Possible servicing regardless may help with longevity? Or should I not try to fix what's not broken?

Any tips on reviving that saddle? Or is it just as easy as liberally applying conditioner? Favorite brands?

Lastly, any ideas on how much something like this would be worth? eBay or locally in a metro area? (I may very well keep it and ride it, but it'd be good to have a rough idea).

Thanks!
That reference I linked to says production moved from Mexico to Japan in 1977, so I suppose it's possible the first year of production used different lugs, but I'm by no means an expert on these bikes. The seat cluster and lugs look different to me, though the fork crown looks the same. This is why I said the more I look online, the less certain I am. Whatever it is, it's a very nice bike, and I look forward to what more informed folks have to say. Maybe Miki produced for other brands? I know there are folks on these forums who can answer that definitively.

As for the bottom bracket -- yes, you should service it if you don't when it was last done. With the right tools, it's pretty straightforward, and there is a lot of advice online if you need it.
Old 12-10-20, 11:25 AM
merziac

Thanks!
What ever conditioner you use, go easy with. You don't want to over do it, it can cause them to lose shape.

I would encourage you to overhaul the BB, then you will know its good for sure.
Old 12-10-20, 11:30 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
How to make me scroll a lot more in every thread with a bunch of redundant pics?

I mean, c'mon, man!

Then my work is done here, oh wait a minute, no its not.
Old 12-10-20, 02:10 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 5,266 Times in 1,939 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
(...) Maybe Miki produced for other brands? (...)
Yes they did. One of those brands was Union (Dutch). Their Sapporo model was made by Miki:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-10-20, 02:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,338 Times in 2,792 Posts
The saddle - don't use neatsfoot oil or mink oil unless you absolutely have to . Use Proofhide or Snowseal. Those first two can cause permanent stretching and weakining of the leather.

The bottom bracket - I would service it from the non-drive side and leave the drive cup in place until I felt justified in taking on a challenge of unknown proportions. (Let sleeping dogs be until there is a reason to wake them.)

Nice bike! Enjoy it. I raced a Fuji Pro of roughly the era and quality and loved it.
Old 12-10-20, 06:05 PM
twm182

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
79pmooney I've got some Proofhide I'll use

thinktubes that fork looks spot on!

Seems like most people think it's a 1977 Centurion Professional. I know Sekai made a "Professional" model that year, but not sure if they made any in Miki.

I guess it's not always possible to perfectly ID a frame from this era?
Old 12-10-20, 09:09 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts
Wow - you guys are GOOD. My best guess was made in Japan because of the Shimano dropouts and the circles cut into the inside of the fork lugs - I've seen that on Makino and Nagasawas too.