Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Choosing a new road pedal

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-05, 04:29 AM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been using crankbrothers candy SL's pedals and have been very satisfied. I now want to make the jump to a road pedal. My choices have been narrowed down to 3.

Crank Brothers quattro pro SL.

Look Keo

and the Shimano SPD SL

I for some reason eliminated a campy pedal....**********?

I love the crankbrothers pedals and how easy they are to clip and out. The Keo is just sexy and the Shimano gets great reviews. With the quattro I could keep bike at same current set up as stack height is the same. The 2 other pedals may mean adjustments. The keo gets really great reviews. I have never used a Look pedal system before. I am looking for a larger platform to spin on. I would like any input on the 3 choices. I am set to purchase. Thanks/
Old 07-17-05, 05:20 AM
Fritz
Not much to say

Bikes: Slew o'Cannondales and a bunch of others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just changed to Ultegra SPD-SLs this past week after years of SPDs and MTB shoes. My daughter's gave me a pair of road shoes for Fathers Day, I used the SPDs for a week or so but I couldn’t stand that cleat sticking out. I love the SLs; I wish I changed years ago. I can’t speak to your other choices but I’m in for the SLs. I 'stole' mine on ebay.
Old 07-17-05, 06:41 AM
adam18

Bikes: '05 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I woul also take a serious look at the Speedplay X/2 pedal. I am very happy with these pedals on my 2005 Specialized Roubaix. The "free float" design has been a wonderful benefit for my knees, and the stability of the pedal -- cleat platform is perfect for all types of riding conditions that I've encountered. Easy clip-in and
release, full ride comfort, overall, a great pedal--cleat system.
Good Luck, and Happy Riding !!
Old 07-17-05, 07:35 AM
hmai18
Cannondale Shill

Bikes: '06 CAAD8, SRAM Rival/Force and fixie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had ridden on Eggbeater SLs for about 700km. Found that there wasn't enough platform and that sometimes my foot would slip off trying to clip in and clear an intersection.

Switched to the Quattro SLs and have reduced the hotspots I feel, have more platform to push on while sprinting and climbing, and haven't slipped the foot at an intersection.

Do you have to get the Pro SLs with the fancy colours? They basic black SL can be had for $92 at https://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...roducts_id/285
Old 07-17-05, 07:44 AM
mjdwyer23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have speedplay x/2 pedals. They really make your knees feel great because of the amount of float, and i have never had them come unclipped when i didn't want them to.
Old 07-17-05, 08:03 AM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choices would be 1. Quattro. 2cnd Look Keo and 3rd Simano SPD-SL. No the quattro don't have to be a team color. I may habe perfromance match that price and then they are always returnable.Quattro are first choice b/c I really like the in/out release of the CB products.When I was fitted for bike the fitter said a little float is good for me b/c knees tend to point inwards. I don't know if free float of the sppedplays woud be a good idea or not????
Old 07-17-05, 10:20 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I think the new Time RXS look like the bomb (or a Klingon battle cruiser):

Old 07-17-05, 03:16 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My knees like my Speedplay X-1's for sure.
Old 07-17-05, 03:31 PM
sjjone

Bikes: Raleigh 2003 Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the RXS carbons ($70 on ebay!) and I love them, but they are MUCH harder to get into than look style. They are also very sharp-as the nice tattoo on my lower leg shows.
Old 07-17-05, 03:49 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started off with look pedals then moved on to Campy Pedals. Which have been working great for me. Now if you have a shimano gear on your'e bike dont' go for campy, they will not get along Constantly fighting and after a while they will just unscrew themselves and walk away.
Old 07-17-05, 03:55 PM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
campy man here. Might have to take another look at them. Need to check out float,stack height ect..........
Old 07-17-05, 04:20 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THey have been my favorite pedals on my bikes, I have the record, chorus pedals. Almost exactly the same basicaly finish is a bit different. They have a larger cleat which is part metal very light and easy to click in and out of but hold very securely. And considering my one track bike has a campy drive train and my road bike fits nicely And they look good
Old 07-17-05, 04:22 PM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any issues with the dreaded Look Squeak?? How is the basic cleat wear? I like the ideea that it is easy to engage and disengage. That why I like the CB pedals so much.
Old 07-17-05, 06:00 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not had that issue to date, I have to replace them every 6-9 months. The plastic part of the cleat hooks on the front of the pedal. The metal part clips into the back of the pedal. Cleats are about same cost as look's.