Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me anything abt this bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-21, 08:59 AM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I’m looking at an mtb.. LaPierre Edge XM527. Its a 27.5 full sus which I think will suit my short standover height.
Thing is I can’t find much information or reviews about it..apart from the fact that I know La Pierre makes decent mtbs.

I’m coming from a self restored project GT XCR5000 26’er which is a size too large for me so I’m thinking I should cut my losses and move on.

Anyone know much about La Pierre mtb’s?
Old 06-06-21, 01:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,412 Times in 3,735 Posts
Are you going to ride it as a proper mountain bike off the pavement? If so, then it might be a good bike for that.

If you are going to ride on pavement, even going up the side of a mountain, it's really not the proper bike.

But depending on how intense you ride and other things, it might be okay. So tell us how you plan to use it and how long and often you are going to ride.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-06-21, 07:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,569 Times in 3,060 Posts
That particular bike I probably wouldn't buy. When the main photo is the stock photo and the ad says Half the original price. Something is a little off on that one. But if the bike fits and is a decent price and works for your riding go for it, if you so choose.

LaPiere makes decent stuff from wha ti hear and the bike looks to be at least semi-decent.
Old 06-06-21, 08:19 PM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yea I will be using it for mountain biking, light trail riding (no 6 ft drops) maybe some small jumps only.
Thing is a friend just bought a Polygon d5, and another few are riding on 29’ers im beginning to feel outpedaled especially when i keep getting pedal strikes on the trails they’re riding.
Also I am actually riding a restomodded GT hardtail 26’er to go with them as that fits me more, rather than this XCR..

My dream bike would actually be a 2019 GT Sensor 27.5 but we know how difficult buying one is now due to the pandemic...

Thoughts? Is it my skill level or am i “underbiking”?
Old 06-06-21, 09:07 PM
cobba

Liked 70 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by spikyone
Thing is I can’t find much information or reviews about it..apart from the fact that I know La Pierre makes decent mtbs.
It's a 2017 Lapierre Edge XM 327

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod148738

Can you physically inspect the bike or is this a online only purchace where you send money and hopefully they send you a bike?
Old 06-06-21, 10:36 PM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Actually I can physically inspect the bike, there are some photos. Im just wondering if its worth the asking price money, or am I buying something that might be going obsolete soon? (Well I am riding an obsolete bike already anyway) So apparently another of my friend asked and his last price is $800..
And basically I’m just looking for reviews from anyone who knows or has ridden these bikes..are they good framewise, reliability, any oddities like weird bb specs..

Last edited by spikyone; 06-06-21 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-06-21, 10:50 PM
alcjphil

Liked 1,901 Times in 1,111 Posts
Lapierre is a large bicycle brand in France. They are not well known in the USA however, especially their mountain bikes. This has nothing to do with quality, much more to do with the difficulty establishing a North American distribution and dealer network. I worked for a Canadian distributor for Lapierre years ago and we had trouble finding dealers. The quality of their products was very good, several of my friends bought Lapierre mountain bikes and still ride them to this day. The only downside to a Lapierre is service and warranty support, not the quality of their bicycles
Old 06-07-21, 03:16 AM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh jeez..it sold before I could enquire about arranging to look at it gosh
Old 06-07-21, 07:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,412 Times in 3,735 Posts
There are other bikes. Even bikes just like that bike.
Old 06-07-21, 07:50 AM
spikyone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah true..thanks though I really appreciate the quick responses and information download. At least I know the origin and some info about La Pierre bikes