Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

STI Shifters(MicroNew) and RD(LTWOO) Compatibility

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 05:07 PM
cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good day guys,

I was wondering if I could get some help with building a budget drivetrain. I currently use Micronew 3x7 STI Shifters with Tourney FD & RD which is 3x7 speed.

I plan on upgrading for a 3x10 drivetrain.

i would still use a 3x10 STI shifters from Micronew since it is the cheapest in my country. Wouldnt need to change my FD, but for the RD, would the LTWOO A7/A7 Elite RD be compatible with these shifters? (since its the cheaper option for most 10speed RDs)

I'm worried about the pull ratio since it might be different. I have read somewhere that you can mix and match Shimano STIs and MTB RDs up until 9 speed, but anything higher would not be compatible. I know both LTWOO and MicroNew are not Shimano, Im thinking if that same rule applies to both of these being 10speed.

Any thoughts on this one?
Old 08-26-21, 09:09 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Liked 1,056 Times in 743 Posts
I can't speak directly to this but I've dealt with Microshift which micronew seems to be copying. With Microshift their shifters would not work with the newest shimano 10sp or 11sp shifters but would work with 4600 series 10 sp shimano or a 9sp rear der which will shift fairly decently. Microshift also offered an r10 long cage rear derailleur for 3x10, perhaps micronew has the same and its worth looking.
I'd be careful matching with LTWOO, I looked over their stuff on aliexpress which is where I assume you are looking. Their road group doesn't make mention of what the shift ratios are, the 10 speed mtb derailleur says it is Deore compatible, this won't be 10sp road compatible. I also looked at the 9 speed rear der and it claimed to work with both shimano and sram, maybe they mean the cassettes and not the shifters but the two systems have completely different ratios so who knows which it really works with. The LTWOO was cheap enough for a 10sp group that I would buy that to make sure it works or I would buy the micronew and use it with a 9sp shimano altus rear derailleur. I do have the 10sp miscroshift on my kid's bike matched with an altus rear derailleur and that works fine.
Old 08-26-21, 11:07 PM
cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I can't speak directly to this but I've dealt with Microshift which micronew seems to be copying. With Microshift their shifters would not work with the newest shimano 10sp or 11sp shifters but would work with 4600 series 10 sp shimano or a 9sp rear der which will shift fairly decently. Microshift also offered an r10 long cage rear derailleur for 3x10, perhaps micronew has the same and its worth looking.
I'd be careful matching with LTWOO, I looked over their stuff on aliexpress which is where I assume you are looking. Their road group doesn't make mention of what the shift ratios are, the 10 speed mtb derailleur says it is Deore compatible, this won't be 10sp road compatible. I also looked at the 9 speed rear der and it claimed to work with both shimano and sram, maybe they mean the cassettes and not the shifters but the two systems have completely different ratios so who knows which it really works with. The LTWOO was cheap enough for a 10sp group that I would buy that to make sure it works or I would buy the micronew and use it with a 9sp shimano altus rear derailleur. I do have the 10sp miscroshift on my kid's bike matched with an altus rear derailleur and that works fine.

Good day and thank you for the reply kind Sir.

Grateful for the onhand experience and information. I do agree with LTWOO not stating their pull ratios, havent found anything on the internet to be honest.

Yes apparently MicroNew is copying what MicroShift does.

I also planned on doing that other option by going 9speed instead in case the 10speed RD from LTWOO wouldn't be compatible.

Mind if I ask Sir whats the smallest and biggest cog on your cassette you used on your 9speed Altus RD setup?

And if for example I went with 10speed Micronew STIs, would I be able to use the Shimano Altus as an alternative RD instead? (seems to be the safest option to run the 10speed), since I plan on having to use at least 11-42T cassette, would I still need a goatlink or will the Shimano Altus RD suffice?

If not I would end up doing the 9speed STIs paired with the Altus 9speed RD, hopefully good enough to run an 11-42T cassette.