Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

girl on guys bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

girl on guys bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 07:39 PM
toomyus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
girl on guys bike?

my girl wants to get into riding. she bout 5 foot 6inches and is pretty well built being an ex swimmer and stuff. i figure i could throw her on the specialized allez elite size 50 or so. any advice?
Old 07-21-05, 07:42 PM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toomyus
my girl wants to get into riding. she bout 5 foot 6inches and is pretty well built being an ex swimmer and stuff. i figure i could throw her on the specialized allez elite size 50 or so. any advice?
who here would know? Have her go try one.
Old 07-21-05, 07:52 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since she is taller she can fit alot more bikes then most women, but just her height does not really tell you what size frame. Alot more to it then that.. some people have shorter legs adn longer torso's.. others complete opposite. Have her go to the LBS and test ride a few bikes.
Old 07-21-05, 07:52 PM

Get her a bike that she feels comfortable on. For me, all my bikes are male (I guess, though the last two are customs).

Take her to a knowledgeable bike shop that can check her fit. She'll be ok.

BTW, I'm 5' 1 1/2" and I have a 49 cm. But I believe my Specialized hybrid is a 50 cm. Talking size seems unnecessary, as a good bike fit will tell you what size will fit her frame for each bike maker.

Koffee

Old 07-21-05, 08:35 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you know, the bike will never know it's a girl in the saddle unless you tell it.
Old 07-21-05, 08:48 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'6" and ride bikes ranging from 50cm to 54cm, depending on the bike geometry. So she'll need to try a few models out for size and fit.
Old 07-21-05, 08:59 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velogirl
I am 5'6" and ride bikes ranging from 50cm to 54cm, depending on the bike geometry. So she'll need to try a few models out for size and fit.
You get your Sarthe yet velo?

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-21-05, 09:02 PM
Comatose51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velogirl
I'm 5'7" and ride a size 48. The LBS I got it from only did the top tube clearance test. But then I went to another LBS to have a fitting done, they didn't seem to find a problem with it either. My lower back still hurts somethings thought. It might be because my pedalling isn't as smooth as it needs to be. I do pedal quite fast at around 105 RPM though.
Old 07-22-05, 06:06 AM
woodboy
...and SnowDog

Bikes: 2015 Scott CR-1; 2013 Kona Jake the Snake; 2003 Scattante XRL; 1991 Raleigh Talon drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toomyus
i figure i could throw her on the specialized allez elite
... and put one of those scrungies in her hair.
Old 07-22-05, 07:52 AM
motomickey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take her to a good shop that does fitting, and let her pick out the bike. That way if she doesn't like it, you don't get the blame. Everyone fits differently!!! Let her try both the woman specific designs and the guys-incluiding compacts.
Old 07-22-05, 08:29 AM
coenan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>who here would know? Have her go try one.

I am often amazed at the number of rude posts on this board. kinda sad...
Old 07-22-05, 10:44 AM
toomyus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya there is always a bunch off *******s saying dumb stuff. one dumbass guy said, " dude, no women come here" . God, ignorant fool.
anyways , thanks ladies, i just feel putting her on a mans bike is infact cheaper and u get a better component group. so im sure we will be bike testing tomorrow. thanks again
Old 07-22-05, 11:48 AM
sjjone

Bikes: Raleigh 2003 Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 50cm Raleigh, but almost bought a 54 cm Trek. The sizes vary wildly by brand-I think the WSD is over-rated unless you're really small. I like the options buying "guys" bikes gives me. I doubt I'll ever get a WSD frame.

I'm 5'6.5" btw-32" inseam...
Old 07-22-05, 12:14 PM
H2OChick
One day at a time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'6 and mine's a 52, but with tri geometry - we put on a longer stem, though. I'll bet that with some tweaking and adjusting, you'll be able to make it work - your LBS will undoubtedly be able to help if you need it. Hooray on another ex-swimmer discovering cycling!
Old 07-22-05, 12:32 PM
jlin453

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coenan
>>who here would know? Have her go try one.

I am often amazed at the number of rude posts on this board. kinda sad...
Sydney's posts usually aren't rude, they're just straight forward. And what he said was true; you can't just consider height when asking about fitting. Let her try out a few bikes to see what she's comfortable with.

My girlfriend is 5'3" and rides a size 47 Satellite (traditional frame). She has a shorter upper torso so the bike fits her well after some adjustments to the stem and saddle position.
Old 07-22-05, 01:14 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 52cm Specialized Allez available.
Send me a PM if you are interested.

Enjoy
Old 07-22-05, 01:39 PM
toomyus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well jlin what i am saying is i know plenty about mens bikes and cycling in general. i see how tall my girlfriend is and i think she will be fine. but its good to get a womans opinion because after all im not one. i think she will be fine on a guys bike and i can set it up for her too but again wanted to make sure there was nothing overly special about womens bikes before i buy her one.
Old 07-27-05, 12:48 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
You get your Sarthe yet velo?
No. I'm having trouble justifying such a purchase. I don't race anymore. My only riding is commuting (28miles RT). I don't go for road rides anymore, but that's because I don't have a road bike...so I guess I need a road bike so that I can go out on rides. I have lots of opportunities with lots of nice folks. But do I really need one as nice as the Sarthe? On the one hand, no, because I'm a casual rider. On the other hand, yes, because I've been riding for several decades and I really do notice and appreciate nice bikes. I have a junky car because I don't really care about cars. But I care about bikes... this ramble goes on and on in my head. I'll have to act fast if I'm going to because bikes are on sale and next year's Sarthe may be different (not orange and not Campy). I've actually saved up the money for it, so that's not the issue. It's just...do I deserve such a machine?

Got any advice?
Old 07-27-05, 01:07 PM
DC_Emily
Headed to the Library...

Bikes: 2003 cherry red Bianchi Giro, Quattro Assi Team 2000 Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
please don't throw her