Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike route 3 n of Urbana, OH

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 05:44 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

2 questions:

1. What is the correlation to the bike route 3 signs for this route? They do not correlate to Adventure Cycling as far as I can find like route 50 does - part of the Ohio to Erie route - which is also route 1 in places.

Off topic a bit - but I seem to recall route 1 going from Iowa somewhere on the west to DC on the east. What organization did that routing? And is that the same organization that marked the route 3 above I am asking about?

2. It appears route 3 n of Urbana was recently chip-and-seal coated. How far does this go? From google maps this shows as an unpaved trail to Bellefontaine, OH. Is it chip-and-seal the whole way? Or does it switch to crushed limestone somewhere?
Old 02-27-22, 07:45 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Liked 543 Times in 372 Posts
It appears to be a state bike route, not one of the national routes.
I did find this Ohio map:
https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/...-bike-path-map
It's called SBR-23 on the pdf, but the Street View shows "3" on the small green bike sign -- street view link

from the Ohio bike and walk page: (and bike.ohio.gov goes here too)
https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/...sources#page=1

I'm not familiar with the bike route numbers. But a google search link goes directly to the two page pdf of national and state routes in Ohio, listing the routes with numbers. I don't know why there's not a web page link with the pdf download on it?

Do a google search:
ohio bike route descriptions pdf

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-27-22 at 07:59 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 02-27-22, 07:52 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

bike trails and routes on Google Maps
Some of the trails now have Street View, including parts of the Little Miami Trail. (From a bicycle towed camera, I think)

Select bicycle map overlay, zoom in to part of a state, and see the solid (paved) or dashed (unpaved) green lines.
Then zoom way in, and the name of the trail is repeated down the green line.

I see that the Simon Kenton Trail to Urbana is shown partially paved. And there's a 2016 Street view too.

Oh, it gets more complicated! The intersection road's street view is "Image capture Nov 2021", showing a paved trail. clicking onto the trail and showing Street view, it's quite unimproved, with rough gravel, dated "image capture Aug 2016" In this street view from the road, it's likely paved to the left, but not to the right. Street view link.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-27-22 at 08:07 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 02-27-22, 09:21 PM
robow

Liked 292 Times in 200 Posts
This link shows Ohio's Bike route/trail maps numbered

https://www.miamivalleytrails.org/trail-map

Btw, an outstanding trail system worthy of touring for sure
Likes For robow:
Old 02-28-22, 09:26 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by robow
Oh yes.

The first time I rode any of this network was the Creekside Trail about 6-7 years ago with a group from all over the country. We were at a convention/conference in the area and one of the days they gather for a group ride. I want to say it was only 15-20 miles. Not sure if it was that first year we were on that trail, but one of the rides we did we terminated at Youngs Dairy for a bit then went back. That was a "treat" (no pun intended - if anyone is ever in the area that is a "must stop" - its a local, and national, legend).

In '20 I did the Ohio to Erie - which passes through Xenia.

I've done a fair amount of riding in other areas of the country and none of the trail networks I've been on (they may exist, just not that I've been on) really hold a candle - both on the trail surface/rideability and the amenities.

I have a 4 day loop I mapped out last year that I didn't get to do before the season ended. I am thinking of trying to go for that this spring some time. That doesn't hit the chip-and-seal - I duck off the trail in Urbana to head back east. I'll have to route plan up to/through Bellefontaine another time.

Seeing the chip-and-seal really got me excited - that is very ridable for touring tires under load, no matter the weather. Crushed gravel/limestone isn't the same - when its wet it softens and can soften too much to ride. The canal towpath and rail trails around Akron are good examples. Its easier to get off the trail and weave around the roads than stick to the trail. Chip-and-seal you can keep on riding.
Old 02-28-22, 06:31 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Originally Posted by robow
This link shows Ohio's Bike route/trail maps numbered

https://www.miamivalleytrails.org/trail-map

The Beechmont Bridge connector at the current southern end of Route-1, the Little Miami Trail, will allow a direct ride to downtown Cincinnati on trails and street bike lanes. $7.9 million! It's tunnel under the highway is done, and the bridge itself is halfway across the Little Miami River right now, should open in the fall of 2022. The whole Little Miami Trail from the Cincinnati end up to at least Spring Valley is nice: lots of woods, running along the river valley.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 02-28-22, 06:34 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by rm -rf
The Beechmont Bridge connector at the current southern end of Route-1, the Little Miami Trail, will allow a direct ride to downtown Cincinnati on trails and street bike lanes. $7.9 million! It's half extended across the Little Miami River right now, should open in the fall of 2022. The whole Little Miami Trail from the Cincinnati end up to at least Spring Valley is nice: lots of woods, running along the river valley.
When I was down there on my Ohio to Erie trek I took the route that passes in front of Sunken Lunken (Lunken Airport) - the connector you mention, obviously since its still mentioned, was not completed. There is a lot of city road weaving that this trail segment will take off from this route. I'm sure it will be very nice when it is done.
Old 02-28-22, 09:25 PM
robow

Liked 292 Times in 200 Posts
We first rode from Cincinnati to Cleveland and then last year, we reversed the trip direction. We have also driven over there, parked, and done a few day trips and then drove to another area and ridden some small loops and out and backs for another few days. Lots of ways to make use of this really nice trail system. I only live a few hours west so it's awfully convenient for a spur of the moment, sneak in a little touring in not a lot of time thing. Kudos to the state of Ohio for constantly enlarging and improving the trail system. Btw, a nice place for day tour is over to the Dayton National Air Force Museum right off the trail. I'm not a plane enthusiast at all but even I have found it really interesting for an afternoon on two occasions.