Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Question of Iverson Bicycles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22, 06:27 PM
MacMorrighan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys, a regional bike seller has a vintage Iverson "grand touring" bike for sale. I was wondering if this is an authentic "touring" bike, or if it's just being called by that title? It's only $40.00!
Old 03-20-22, 06:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,245 Times in 2,840 Posts
You can tour on anything but without seeing the bike it doesn't tell us much. From what I know about Iverson which ain't much they weren't anything high end maybe not the absolute bottom of the barrel bike boom stuff but nothing that special.

In terms of touring bikes for actual carrying a lot of stuff, vintage bikes may not be what you want. You want a little stiffer tubing and rack mounts front and rear and maybe a few more gears.
Old 03-20-22, 06:46 PM
Koyote

Liked 11,438 Times in 4,882 Posts
If it looks like this one, you should run -- AWAY.
Old 03-20-22, 07:31 PM
MacMorrighan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koyote
If it looks like this one, you should run -- AWAY.
Nope, the bike is green and was apparently put in working order by the owner/ repairman of a regional bike shop.
Old 03-20-22, 08:34 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 941 Times in 622 Posts
As I recall, Iverson's are low end, heavy bikes. If you want an "around town" bike, it's probably worth $40 if roadworthy as you say.

As far as "vintage" and "touring" ...No

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-21-22, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,012 Times in 3,448 Posts
You need to consider what you want to do with it. For real bicycle touring with fully loaded paniers for a week or two, I'd probably want something more modern with a very wide rang of gearing. If it's still a 27" tire, then those can be hard to find and little choice of what you get.

Also, old components will be harder to get fixed or replaced at random shops you might encounter while on your touring route.

If you just want something to tool around on, it might be a good choice since it's inexpensive. And then after you've ridden a year or so, you'll know more about what you really want.
Old 03-21-22, 03:37 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,443 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by MacMorrighan
Nope, the bike is green and was apparently put in working order by the owner/ repairman of a regional bike shop.
What sort of bike is it?

If don't get results from just Googling, it's not likely you should be interested in.
Old 03-21-22, 08:35 PM
MacMorrighan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
You need to consider what you want to do with it. For real bicycle touring with fully loaded paniers for a week or two, I'd probably want something more modern with a very wide rang of gearing. If it's still a 27" tire, then those can be hard to find and little choice of what you get.

Also, old components will be harder to get fixed or replaced at random shops you might encounter while on your touring route.

If you just want something to tool around on, it might be a good choice since it's inexpensive. And then after you've ridden a year or so, you'll know more about what you really want.
Thanks! I'm not wanting a touring bike at the moment. I just want something to get around town and run errands, plus exercise and recreation.