Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could you please recommend a road bike that I can purchase within a budget of $1000?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Could you please recommend a road bike that I can purchase within a budget of $1000?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 07:27 PM
Kayla Celmer
Outdoor landscape enthusi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Last month, I realized that I needed to engage in some physical activity to maintain my overall health. After exploring various sports options, I believe cycling is suitable for me. I now have a budget of $1000 to purchase a road bike. Can anyone recommend anything?

It's also possible to increase the budget to $1500, but that means I'll have to wait until next month to purchase the bicycle.
Old 05-22-23, 07:34 PM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayla Celmer
Last month, I realized that I needed to engage in some physical activity to maintain my overall health. After exploring various sports options, I believe cycling is suitable for me. I now have a budget of $1000 to purchase a road bike. Can anyone recommend anything?

It's also possible to increase the budget to $1500, but that means I'll have to wait until next month to purchase the bicycle.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

I swear to all that is holy, I'm not affiliated with them I've purchased 2 mountain bike from them and will purchase my next mountain bike from them.
Old 05-22-23, 07:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2658 Post(s)
Liked 5,848 Times in 3,011 Posts
https://biketestreviews.com/best-road-bike-under-1000/
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-...er-1000-345105

Go out and ride as many as you can and see what feels best to you

Old 05-22-23, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,112 Times in 2,745 Posts
Probably would look at a entry level hybrid for that price. Generally they start around the $900 mark but are typically $1000-1500 these days. Ideally look for 10 speed an above and ride a bunch of different stuff. Also keep in mind your local shop might do financing so you can easily get a higher dollar bike without putting the money down right away. My old shop did that and when I purchased my last bike I used it and it was interest free so long as I paid it every month and paid it off in the 12 months I had so in the end I didn't spend extra money (aside from a small processing fee) and got the bike I really wanted (or as close to it as they sold)
Old 05-22-23, 07:46 PM
Kayla Celmer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Alright, I will try out more options. I plan to visit a bicycle shop this weekend to test ride some bikes.
Likes For Kayla Celmer:
Old 05-22-23, 07:50 PM
Kayla Celmer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Probably would look at a entry level hybrid for that price. Generally they start around the $900 mark but are typically $1000-1500 these days. Ideally look for 10 speed an above and ride a bunch of different stuff. Also keep in mind your local shop might do financing so you can easily get a higher dollar bike without putting the money down right away. My old shop did that and when I purchased my last bike I used it and it was interest free so long as I paid it every month and paid it off in the 12 months I had so in the end I didn't spend extra money (aside from a small processing fee) and got the bike I really wanted (or as close to it as they sold)
I don't intend to buy a hybrid bike. I don't consider it as a form of exercise if I rely heavily on electric power.
Old 05-22-23, 07:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10529 Post(s)
Liked 12,106 Times in 6,195 Posts
I don't intend to buy a hybrid bike. I don't consider it as a form of exercise if I rely heavily on electric power.
Hybrid in this case doesn't mean electric. That's E-bikes.

Hybrid bikes were originally meant to be a hybrid of mountain bike and road bike features. They have straight bars and a more upright position than road bikes, and are intended for riding on roads and bike paths. They're often a good choice for beginning cyclists for whom the more aerodynamic position of a road bike is not yet comfortable. You might also see them referred to as "Fitness Bikes"
re

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-22-23, 08:07 PM
Kayla Celmer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genejockey
Hybrid in this case doesn't mean electric. That's E-bikes.

Hybrid bikes were originally meant to be a hybrid of mountain bike and road bike features. They have straight bars and a more upright position than road bikes, and are intended for riding on roads and bike paths. They're often a good choice for beginning cyclists for whom the more aerodynamic position of a road bike is not yet comfortable. You might also see them referred to as "Fitness Bikes"
re
I see, I misunderstood. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I will look into this type of bike.
Old 05-22-23, 09:18 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
I don't know where you are, but the if you have an outlet to look at used bikes I'd recommend you consider that. You can get a very nice used bike for $1,000. You can get a new bike that's average at best.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-22-23, 11:09 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Have you considered used? There are a lot of people who have already been where you are now. Many people send good money on a nice bike, thinking they're going to change habits and get in shape. Many do, but many don't. Those that don't present buying opportunities for the rest of us. $1000 will buy a very nice previously owned bike. Sometimes a bike that may only have a few hundred miles (or less) on it for a fraction of new. Certainly wouldn't hurt to befriend one or two knowledgeable people in your area for assistance.
Old 05-22-23, 11:37 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Welcome to Cycling forum. As others befor me have mentioned: You can find very good used road bikes on craigslist or bike shops or other used sale outlets, My daily commuter is a 2005 Aluminum frame with carbon fiber fork i found it used and purchased it for less than 1/2 of $1000 6 years ago. I ride it every day weekdays and love it. Sart small and cheap and learn what you like and what works for you and what doesn't work and then come up with a much bettter smart educated decision for yourself of what you'd like to buy and ride for yourself down the road.

Last edited by Eds0123; 05-22-23 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-23-23, 10:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,112 Times in 2,745 Posts
No a hybrid is generally a sort of cross between a road bike and a mountain bike usually favoring more on the road side but you do find occasional mountain or gravel hybrids and the gravel end is becoming more popular though many standard hybrids can fit wider tires and handle gravel. There are electric bikes of all sorts including drop bar road bikes but to get one will be way out of your price range or absolute garbage. However it is important to note that electric bikes are a pedal assist so they will give you assistance as you pedal as much or as little or none as you desire. The throttled vehicles you might be thinking of that do sometimes get misclassified as e-bikes are just mopeds even if they share a good deal of stuff in common with a bottom end bike.
Old 05-23-23, 11:33 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked 2,893 Times in 1,578 Posts
Rei is a good base to compare as it is availably nationally

https://www.rei.com/product/159858/c...es-adv-21-bike

https://www.rei.com/product/189126/c...ra-womens-bike

https://www.rei.com/c/road-bikes?ir=...sort=min-price

Old 05-23-23, 11:35 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked 2,893 Times in 1,578 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

I swear to all that is holy, I'm not affiliated with them I've purchased 2 mountain bike from them and will purchase my next mountain bike from them.
IMHO this is not a good option if you don't know how to mechanic on bikes.

there are also hidden cost, like paying to have the bike tuned and checked after riding

Old 05-23-23, 11:55 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1,653 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
imho this is not a good option if you don't know how to mechanic on bikes.

There are also hidden cost, like paying to have the bike tuned and checked after riding
+1
Old 05-23-23, 10:21 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Have you considered used? There are a lot of people who have already been where you are now. Many people send good money on a nice bike, thinking they're going to change habits and get in shape. Many do, but many don't. Those that don't present buying opportunities for the rest of us. $1000 will buy a very nice previously owned bike. Sometimes a bike that may only have a few hundred miles (or less) on it for a fraction of new. Certainly wouldn't hurt to befriend one or two knowledgeable people in your area for assistance.
Of course you can get into a used for $500 or so, the problem I see as a beginner you don't have a feel for sizing/ what's good and what's not so good and also getting some "after the sale" help from a bike shop can't be entirely discounted. I do see these "only ridden twice" bikes on Craigslist, not so sure about that but they seem to typically be fairly good spec carbon bikes and they aren't giving them away. No knock on VegasJen but they seem to be folks wanting to get into Tri but deciding it wasn't for them.

The problem for me out here in Hawaii is the "average" size seems like 48/50 and I'm 6'1".

scott s.
Old 05-23-23, 10:41 PM
Canker

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...synapse-tiagra
is on sale for $1200
Old 05-23-23, 11:22 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Of course you can get into a used for $500 or so, the problem I see as a beginner you don't have a feel for sizing/ what's good and what's not so good and also getting some "after the sale" help from a bike shop can't be entirely discounted. I do see these "only ridden twice" bikes on Craigslist, not so sure about that but they seem to typically be fairly good spec carbon bikes and they aren't giving them away. No knock on VegasJen but they seem to be folks wanting to get into Tri but deciding it wasn't for them.

The problem for me out here in Hawaii is the "average" size seems like 48/50 and I'm 6'1".

scott s.
Oh, absolutely. That's why I suggested befriending someone or a couple someones that know a bit about bikes. It does sound like the OP is pretty new to the bike game. There are a lot of buying opportunities out there but without some background or some knowledgeable assistance, it's a lot like sailing in uncharted territory.

And if you find some good deals on 48/50cm tri bikes, let me know!
Old 05-24-23, 06:43 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3598 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,824 Posts
There's also some good info in this thread:

How to Buy a Bike

I'd definitely recommend visiting a shop or two, and doing some test rides, talking to the personnel, and asking a lot of questions. If shop personnel seem intimidating or unwilling to be helpful, go somewhere else. A full-blown road bike can put you into some awkward riding positions and feel strange if you're new, whereas a hybrid may be a little more comfortable.

Unless you or a friend are very knowledgeable about bikes, I'd stay away from used. You don't want to pay for someone else's problems. Don't get me wrong--for some here, who have decades of experience, know exactly what size bike fits them for any scenario/style, and know all about the various component levels, that's a great option--but probably not for a beginner. Developing a good relationship with a good shop will keep you on the road and motivated.

Last edited by smd4; 05-24-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-24-23, 04:14 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
First go to a bike shop and determine what size frame will work the best for you. Then you can scan the Craigslist postings for used bikes in your size range. Bikes listed are usually in excellent condition and selling for less than half what their owners paid for them when new. I would only be sure that the bike has the combination brake and gear shifters as it makes it a lot easier when riding to get into the best gear for the terrain.

Stay with the $1000 budget to allow for changing the saddle or the pedals on the bike.
Old 05-24-23, 05:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I don't know where you are, but the if you have an outlet to look at used bikes I'd recommend you consider that. You can get a very nice used bike for $1,000. You can get a new bike that's average at best.
I picked up a 8 month old Trek FX4 Carbon Sport for 1000 for my wife a couple of years ago and that was in the middle of the pandemic when bikes were going for stupid prices. It's an awesome bike and outside of some sand that was in the drive chain, it was in perfect condition. The woman bought a CheckPoint and did not want this bike anymore. So I happily took it from her. She wanted $1100, I offered 900, she countered with 1K and I took it.

Old 05-25-23, 06:53 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 270 Posts
Visit the local bike shops. They will be more than happy to help. Test rides are fun. Most offer a quick basic tune up later. Inventory is better than a year ago but you may have to order the exact bike you want. Most shops will have similar models for a test ride to see if you like the fit.

Don’t forget to budget for a helmet and any other stuff you may want. Get a bike. Ride it and come back and ask more questions. People here like to help others spend money. Ride some more and before you know it you pass that hybrid on and get a Checkpoint.
Old 05-25-23, 08:57 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 790 Posts
All of the major manufacturers offer an aluminum road bike around $1000-$1500

Word of advice...Ignore the Bikes Direct link above.
Old 06-05-23, 09:32 PM
Kayla Celmer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thank you for your recommendations. I will take your comments into consideration. I'm going to buy it next month, and I'm going to have to raise my budget to $2000 because I have to buy riding gear.
Old 06-05-23, 09:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8372 Post(s)
Liked 9,222 Times in 4,545 Posts
Thank you for your recommendations. I will take your comments into consideration. I'm going to buy it next month, and I'm going to have to raise my budget to $2000 because I have to buy riding gear.
You really don't need a lot of gear to get started. Helmet, maybe some gloves. You can use flat pedals and wear any shoes. You can also wear any clothes.
Definitely want to carry some water and a spare tube with some tools and a pump or some way to inflate the tire after you put the tube in. I also carry a patch kit.

Practice fixing a flat at home, unless you have someone to pick you up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.