Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tube shifter mount options?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 02:27 PM
FlatKitten

Bikes: 1981 Shogun 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have a mid-80s road bike frame, and prefer to run handlebar shifters. Are there any creative options anyone can suggest to put on the tube shifter mounts aside from just a cap? I tried doing some Google and Etsy searches, but I must not be using the right keywords.

I'm thinking of possibly getting them removed at the local metal shop since I got the frame sand blasted, and it's now or never... that is unless someone has a decent suggestion, because I'd rather not.

I'd attach a photo, but I don't have 10 posts yet

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-23, 02:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,592 Posts
Give us some hints. Bike model and year. Brand of derailleurs and shifters. There are cable housing stops that mount on down tube shift bosses. If these can be had for your bike, an easy fix. (Not totally perfect. The housings will bang the head tube and do a number on the paint. There are fixes and thousands have just lived with it.
Old 05-26-23, 02:51 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
I have wondered about this solution as well to unused downtube shifter bosses, though in this case it was due to running Shimano Di2 electronic shifting.

If you are planning on running handlebar shifters, KEEP THE DOWNTUBE BOSSES! Handlebar shifters will run their cables to those bosses (via a downtube cable stop) which will then run to the derailleurs. The cable stops also have provisions to add or release cable tension--another great tool for tuning your shifting.

The cable stops will look like this, generally. They are also pretty cheap and still available.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-26-23, 02:57 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 3,405 Times in 2,219 Posts
-----

a company in Concord, California offered a product termed a Diablo Kit which accomplished the same goal as seen in the image posted above

-----
Old 05-26-23, 03:05 PM
FlatKitten

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Give us some hints. Bike model and year. Brand of derailleurs and shifters. There are cable housing stops that mount on down tube shift bosses. If these can be had for your bike, an easy fix. (Not totally perfect. The housings will bang the head tube and do a number on the paint. There are fixes and thousands have just lived with it.
Shimano bar end friction shifters on an early/mid 80s Shogun 2001. What I currently have are cable housing stops on them, but as you mentioned, I still had a piece of electrical tape further up the tube to keep the cable in place, haha.
Old 05-26-23, 03:09 PM
FlatKitten

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I have wondered about this solution as well to unused downtube shifter bosses, though in this case it was due to running Shimano Di2 electronic shifting.

If you are planning on running handlebar shifters, KEEP THE DOWNTUBE BOSSES! Handlebar shifters will run their cables to those bosses (via a downtube cable stop) which will then run to the derailleurs. The cable stops also have provisions to add or release cable tension--another great tool for tuning your shifting.

The cable stops will look like this, generally. They are also pretty cheap and still available.
I'm in agreement that this is probably the best solution. I'm playing with the idea of getting two cable stops welded directly under and further up the tube instead.
Old 05-26-23, 03:17 PM
FlatKitten

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

a company in Concord, California offered a product termed a Diablo Kit which accomplished the same goal as seen in the image posted above

-----
Not finding much about that specific kit.
Old 05-26-23, 03:23 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatKitten
I'm in agreement that this is probably the best solution. I'm playing with the idea of getting two cable stops welded directly under and further up the tube instead.
if you get indexed shifting you're going to wish you had bolt on cable stops with built in adjusters
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 05-26-23, 03:27 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 3,023 Times in 1,638 Posts
When STI first came out, the upgrade kits all came with these things.
Lots of suppliers if you use the right key words.

Shimano STI Downtube Cable Stop and Adjuster
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-26-23, 03:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
Ah, that is a good idea as well. I've seen a lot of this on Waterford (the later Schwinn Paramount folks) bikes as they built for handlebar-only shifting setups. Keeps the cables and housings clear of the frame, so no paint rubbing.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 05-26-23, 07:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,592 Posts
I'm an outlier. I've had one bike in all my years with DT bosses and didn't care for them. Much, much prefer the clean under the DT simple plate stop for a clamp. Ordered that for the Mooney, used the clamp-on SunTour shifters I already had, then moved to the SunTours that sit on the box on top of the DT after it came out. My geared TiCycles came with the HT braze-ons which are still sitting there unused and a mount for the Superbe shifters in that box. Bike is now fix gear with a wonderfully clean DT.

That simple plate boss/stop? Clean, invisible when not in use, versatile as heck and never snags expensive tights. (Light, aero, cheap, strong and reliable - I thought that was impossible in the world of bicycle reality.)
Old 05-27-23, 08:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3616 Post(s)
Liked 3,446 Times in 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
Unless they've changed over the years, the Diablo pieces don't have a barrel adjuster, if that's important to you.
Old 05-27-23, 03:54 PM
FlatKitten

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I really wish there was a better option for the bosses rather than a cable stop or a cap. Looks more than likely that I'll be getting them removed, and ordering some cable stops from FrameBuilder to match very similarly what RiddleOfSteel posted. It has me thinking of doing the same with the rear brake line to clean things up while I'm at it.

Anyway, thanks all for the input and advice! I definitely learned a bit. I'll be starting a build thread when I get past the 10 post mark. I'm feeling pretty excited about where I'm taking this bit by bit.
Likes For FlatKitten:
Old 05-28-23, 12:45 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,768 Times in 948 Posts
Not sure that I understand the concern, but if I do, I solved that little problem years ago. Though Mr. Mouse, some people just call him Micky, suggested just putting an inner tube valve cover over the mount. I do not have a picture of this (actually, I probably do but it is a PAIN to find) but you get the idea...
Old 05-28-23, 12:51 PM
FlatKitten

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Not sure that I understand the concern, but if I do, I solved that little problem years ago. Though Mr. Mouse, some people just call him Micky, suggested just putting an inner tube valve cover over the mount. I do not have a picture of this (actually, I probably do but it is a PAIN to find) but you get the idea...
It wasn't concern, but curiosity about if there was something useful that could be attached to the bosses.
Old 05-28-23, 03:34 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 3,023 Times in 1,638 Posts
It wasn't concern, but curiosity about if there was something useful that could be attached to the bosses.
I've seen blinky lights, and electronic device mounts that screw into the bosses. They're not a good place to be putting anything big though because your knees will hit them... just like when I upshift because my knee hits the DT shift lever when I'm out of the saddle climbing.

The Problem Solver caps work well to keep the sharp edges away from your pants though, so that's useful.