Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Number of Your fault MVA accidents over last 10 years

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: How many at fault car accidents have you had in 10 years?
None
84.44%
None that were my fault
8.89%
4.44%
2-3
0%
4 or more
0%
None of your dang business
2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 09:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 6,037 Times in 3,083 Posts

Whether right or wrong, my assumption is that cyclists tend to be more cautious drivers since they have to much to lose when on their bikes. I see a lot of cross pollination between road biking and driving a motor vehicle. Did some internet research before posting this and could not find any conclusive stats on the average or median number of accidents per driver in the US over a decade. But thought it would be interesting to see nonetheless.

Old 06-09-23, 03:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18583 Post(s)
Liked 16,058 Times in 7,537 Posts
I’m an excellent driver.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-09-23, 04:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Was this guy a bicyclist?

https://abc7.com/gas-station-pump-fi...ment/12531041/
Old 06-09-23, 04:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,147 Times in 3,181 Posts
I have had no car accidents in the last 38 years, ever since I had my one and only (so far) minor bump when I was 17. I honestly don't think in my case it has much to do with cycling or even being a cautious driver - which I am certainly not! I put it down to good spatial awareness, quick reactions and good hand-eye co-ordination. I have always been good at sports like football (soccer) and tennis, which generally require these skills. I also don't tend crash my bike very often for the same reasons. I'm also a very good skier FWIW.

So I think it's more a case of genetics vs whether or not you happen to ride bikes. But perhaps people who struggle more with balance, co-ordination, reactions etc are less inclined to take up cycling, which could then give you a secondary correlation between cyclists and number of car accidents.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-23, 05:18 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I find that when I drive a car, I scan the road like I would if I were riding a bike. This causes me to drive a little slower and have better "situational awareness." I think all of us have experienced those moments on a bike when you just get a feeling that something bad is about to happen, and you back off, slow down, move to a safer spot, etc. I really think this translates into driving a car where I always try not to get myself into dangerous situations. (And it's not like I'm just some old fogey who drives around with the left turn signal on all the time; I used to own two race cars).
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 06-09-23, 06:17 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 771 Posts
I've remained lucky with crashes. I've devolved into a not-so-good driver, seems like I'm less attentive as more things are surprising me on the road. So I drive like an old fart, much slower than I used to, and really, less aggressively than I used to in my yoot.
Old 06-09-23, 06:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7143 Post(s)
Liked 11,326 Times in 4,839 Posts
Why bother with a completely unscientific bf poll, which will generate zero reliable conclusions, when professionals have actually studied this?
Old 06-09-23, 06:53 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 916 Times in 458 Posts
Zero crashes...

And I've been driving my son's driving simulator a bunch - training with the top GT3 and supercars, taking laps in F1 cars...

I can feel the difference when weaving and bobbing thru heavy traffic in my 2500 pick em up. My commute times have been significantly reduced - I can fit that truck into all sorts of situations now and recover when I get loose in the shoulder.
Old 06-09-23, 09:02 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,305 Times in 690 Posts
slightly OT I have had TWO close encounters with Teslas that I beleive were on FSD.

They came up VERY aggressive, much more so than if they were under the control of a conscientious driver.

in my mirror I could see the woman behind the wheel doing... something ... on the touch screen

this thing is much worse than a bad driver. it simply does not recognize a cyclist until very close... if at all

and it has no provision in the code for the consequences of it's actions.

/markp
Old 06-09-23, 09:13 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 1,611 Posts
what does this have to do with cycling?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-09-23, 12:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Absolutely nothing. Thank you for being suckered-in. And situational awareness, like in cycling, is totally irrelevant; just in case you put more thought into it than required.

Old 06-09-23, 01:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have had no car accidents in the last 38 years, ever since I had my one and only (so far) minor bump when I was 17. I honestly don't think in my case it has much to do with cycling or even being a cautious driver - which I am certainly not! I put it down to good spatial awareness, quick reactions and good hand-eye co-ordination. I have always been good at sports like football (soccer) and tennis, which generally require these skills. I also don't tend crash my bike very often for the same reasons. I'm also a very good skier FWIW.

So I think it's more a case of genetics vs whether or not you happen to ride bikes. But perhaps people who struggle more with balance, co-ordination, reactions etc are less inclined to take up cycling, which could then give you a secondary correlation between cyclists and number of car accidents.
Interesting comment/s. Had not thought about it quite like that. I too played on a tennis team, was a competitive slalom skier, played soccer, but did crash my mountain bike for the first two years testing my limits and skill building. Also have taken performance driving courses and raced on a track, if that matters. However, I would rate my reaction speed as average.

It may be a combination of reaction speed, (like the pothole I narrowly swerved around at the last minute yesterday while riding at 21 MPH), situational awareness honed through cycling and coordination.

Like others have pointed out, there is nothing in the least scientific about the survey and any conclusions would be sketchy at best. But my underlying bias was that the count of accidents would be very low.

NHTSA for 202o reported a total of 5,250,837 collisions happened over the course of a single year. There were 228,195,802 licensed drivers in the US in 2020, which yields 2.3% of drivers had accidents or multiple. Crudely extrapolating over ten years would yield 23%. So, if this poll result was far less than 23%, say, 10% it might still might have slight significance.

Old 06-09-23, 02:00 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
I find that when I drive a car, I scan the road like I would if I were riding a bike. This causes me to drive a little slower and have better "situational awareness." I think all of us have experienced those moments on a bike when you just get a feeling that something bad is about to happen, and you back off, slow down, move to a safer spot, etc. I really think this translates into driving a car where I always try not to get myself into dangerous situations. (And it's not like I'm just some old fogey who drives around with the left turn signal on all the time; I used to own two race cars).
Riding a bicycle has definitely changed how I drive. Not that I drive a whole lot lately, but when I do, I always look out for other, non-driving road users to make sure I don't compromise their safety. That includes stopping for people at or in an crosswalk, passing people on bike with enough clearance, etc.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 06-09-23, 02:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,239 Posts
One MVA in ‘91, not my fault. Zero before that since I got my license in 1972. So total of 1 in 51 years. 800,000 plus miles driven as well.
Old 06-09-23, 02:15 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I provided a link in post #7 which will take you to a list of actual studies about the connection between cycling and incidence of motor vehicle accidents. No one has acknowledged it, though, since most people on bf would rather hear themselves chatter about anecdotal experience than actually put in the work to learn things.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-09-23, 02:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10632 Post(s)
Liked 12,255 Times in 6,283 Posts
Some guy backed into me in the parking lot at Costco - I backed out, he backed out of a space on the other side of the lane. We call them "accidents", but pretty much always somebody did something wrong.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-09-23, 02:30 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rsbob
NHTSA for 202o reported a total of 5,250,837 collisions happened over the course of a single year. There were 228,195,802 licensed drivers in the US in 2020, which yields 2.3% of drivers had accidents or multiple. Crudely extrapolating over ten years would yield 23%. So, if this poll result was far less than 23%, say, 10% it might still might have slight significance.
oof. So much wrongness.

Think more carefully about these numbers and get back to us.
Old 06-09-23, 03:28 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 288 Posts
I disagree and I noticed that I might be bothered by motorists when out on the road but when I got in my car my mindset switched and I was in a hurry for no reason at all. People get into accidents from driving too fast or from being distracted (smoking, drinking, eating, texting, putting on makeup, etc.) while driving.
Old 06-09-23, 03:37 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
None cause the cop ****ed up in court thankfully. Youth act also saved my ass once.
Old 06-09-23, 03:38 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 803 Times in 392 Posts
Ummm... no.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 06-09-23, 03:57 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 882 Times in 436 Posts
I live in Japan, there is no such thing as an "accident" here. Any collision here is regarded as "negligence." Any collision resulting in an injury is considered a crime, with serious consequences, any collision resulting in death will result in a mandatory prison sentence for the driver, regardless of the circumstances. Because of these, I drive carefully, as does everyone else, and it’s much safer to ride a bike in Japan than other places.
Old 06-09-23, 06:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Ummm... no.
Happy to liven up the conversation, even at my expense. I have no stake in the numbers or my outrageous unverifiable conclusion. Just generating some stories and conversation.

Koyote did provide a good link quantifying that cyclists make better drivers. Thanks

Last edited by rsbob; 06-09-23 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-09-23, 06:41 PM
Koyote

Happy to liven up the conversation, even at my expense. I have no stake in the numbers or my outrageous unverifiable conclusion. Just generating some stories and conversation.
Okay, then.

Your calculations implicitly assume that each of those "collisions" are single car accidents...But I would expect that most involve multiple (two or more) drivers. (This could be confirmed by reading the fine print at the NHTSA website.) If so, you are already grossly underestimating the number of individual drivers who are involved in accidents in a given time period.

​​​​​​
Now you are implicitly assuming that each of these drivers is involved in just ONE accident in a ten-year period, which is assuredly incorrect. Some of those drivers account for multiple accidents in any ten-year period. So, you are now overestimating the number of individual drivers who are involved in accidents in a given period.

​​​​​​
Given that the NHTSA's dataset is huge, and your bf sample is necessarily tiny and (likely) heavily biased, the results would have no significance. None, as in zero.

Let's also remember that, in any auto accident involving multiple (two or more) vehicles, typically one party is over 50% at fault -- sometimes 100% at fault. Hence, using raw accident stats to draw some conclusion about people's driving abilities is specious.

Once again, I will mention that actual citations to properly done studies were provided in post #7.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-09-23 at 06:45 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-09-23, 08:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Koyote
Okay, then.

Your calculations implicitly assume that each of those "collisions" are single car accidents...But I would expect that most involve multiple (two or more) drivers. (This could be confirmed by reading the fine print at the NHTSA website.) If so, you are already grossly underestimating the number of individual drivers who are involved in accidents in a given time period.

​​​​​​

Now you are implicitly assuming that each of these drivers is involved in just ONE accident in a ten-year period, which is assuredly incorrect. Some of those drivers account for multiple accidents in any ten-year period. So, you are now overestimating the number of individual drivers who are involved in accidents in a given period.

​​​​​​

Given that the NHTSA's dataset is huge, and your bf sample is necessarily tiny and (likely) heavily biased, the results would have no significance. None, as in zero.

Let's also remember that, in any auto accident involving multiple (two or more) vehicles, typically one party is over 50% at fault -- sometimes 100% at fault. Hence, using raw accident stats to draw some conclusion about people's driving abilities is specious.

Once again, I will mention that actual citations to properly done studies were provided in post #7.
Gee I hope you feel better getting that off your chest. And I DID mention the study you cited in my last post. Have a good evening.

Old 06-09-23, 09:51 PM
Koyote

And I DID mention the study you cited in my last post.
Seems like you must've added that line while I was typing...But you aren't interested in discussing it(?) So what was the point of the thread, if you're not interested in actual reliable info about the topic?