Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown Kuwahara Restomod

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 04:25 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Liked 223 Times in 68 Posts

I think this bike may either be a Newport or Pacer but when I received it the stickers were removed and powder coating completed.

I raced in the Paris to Ancaster 70km event this spring which was excellent however after inspecting the bike when I got home I realized everything needed to be regreased, replaced, or rebuilt. I broke the fork steerer tube, cracked the headset lower race, my bottom bracket was seized, and my wheels need attention badly.

If you’re unfamiliar with the P2A it’s a spring classic in Canada and this year was also the inaugural Canadian Gravel Championship.

Here’s a photo of my bike at the 60km rest station

and a glimpse into the mud that racers we blessed with

and after some notes made during the race I decided I would take the opportunity to rebuild the bike.

New parts include:

FSA Duron X 1” threaded headset
New steel fork
Tektro CR720 cantilever brakes
Axiom micro adjustable seat post
Bassi 100mm -7 deg stem
GT Sakae 44cm drop bars
KMC X10 chain
Grepp Lilac handlebar tape
Jagwire Pro Brake and Shift kit in Celeste
Shimano BBR60 bottom bracket

It was a good race and a great lesson in rebuilding and revamping a treasured bike. I’ll never get what I put into it, especially the Tiagra 4600 groupset but it’s by far my favourite for long days in the saddle.
Old 06-11-23, 11:08 AM
Mr. 66

Liked 1,864 Times in 1,013 Posts
Cleans up nicely, with what was needed I'm glad you didn't run into any injuries.

Thats not over-build, well done.
Old 06-11-23, 12:05 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Cleans up nicely, with what was needed I'm glad you didn't run into any injuries.

Thats not over-build, well done.
Thanks, it was great learning experience.
Old 06-11-23, 07:39 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Liked 193 Times in 141 Posts
Two things stand out to me about this frame set: uni-crown fork and the placement of the water bottle cage bolts. I assume that the fork is original.

The one Kuwahara model that I have seen that matches this is the Super Tour. I have not seen a Newport or Pacer model that match, but they could well exist.
Old 06-11-23, 08:20 PM
Tango1

Originally Posted by Hummer
Two things stand out to me about this frame set: uni-crown fork and the placement of the water bottle cage bolts. I assume that the fork is original.

The one Kuwahara model that I have seen that matches this is the Super Tour. I have not seen a Newport or Pacer model that match, but they could well exist.
The fork is 100% aftermarket, but the rest is good to know! Not a lot of information on Kuwahara in North America and I’d love to figure out this model so I could try and get decals made up for it.
Old 06-11-23, 08:28 PM
Hummer

Originally Posted by Tango1
The fork is 100% aftermarket, but the rest is good to know! Not a lot of information on Kuwahara in North America and I’d love to figure out this model so I could try and get decals made up for it.
If you have the serial number then that can be used to determine the year of frame manufacture. Knowing the year can narrow down which possible model the frame may be.
Old 06-11-23, 08:48 PM
Tango1

If you have the serial number then that can be used to determine the year of frame manufacture. Knowing the year can narrow down which possible model the frame may be.
Luckily the powder coating didn’t completely fill in the serial number I found on the seat tube above the bottom bracket.

It looks like it reads 88 02 25438

After doing some simple searches I’m led to believe it could be the Sport Tour or Ranger models.

Last edited by Tango1; 06-11-23 at 09:52 PM.
Likes For Tango1:
Old 06-12-23, 10:22 AM
Hummer

For 1988 another possibility is the Caravan model.
Old 06-12-23, 10:48 AM
Tango1

For 1988 another possibility is the Caravan model.
I thought so too but from what I can tell the Caravan had a spoke holder on the chainstay which this bike lacks.