Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for beginner tour recommendations in Scotland

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 10:39 AM
rudymartini
cycling tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all,
I am planning to go on a tour on a road bike in Scotland this summer, departing from Edinburgh.
I do quite a bit of day-trips but it's my first time planning a multi-day trip, so I'm aiming for a 2-3 days ride to start with. Also I don't have a car so it'd be ideal if the start point is accessible by train.
I was thinking of taking the train and ferry to the Isle of Arran, but not sure how convenient it is. Do you have other good recommendations?
Looking forward to hear your opinions
Old 06-16-23, 12:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Liked 4,129 Times in 2,759 Posts
Well you have already started well because if it ain't Scottish, it's CRAAAP! I sadly have not been and really want to so I have nothing great to contribute other than have a great time, take loads of pictures and share with folks here.
Old 06-18-23, 06:15 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
You could do worse than the Five Ferries Route. Around 2 hours by train from Edinburgh to the start/finish. No need to book bikes on these services. Just turn up.

https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2016...ies-route.html

72 miles. But working round ferry times. And a few good hills. Doable from Edinburgh in two days. Or make it a 3 day by going round the south end of Arran. Good campside right at the south end.
Old 06-19-23, 03:49 AM
rudymartini
cycling tourist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Well you have already started well because if it ain't Scottish, it's CRAAAP! I sadly have not been and really want to so I have nothing great to contribute other than have a great time, take loads of pictures and share with folks here.
Haha thanks I'll make sure to post some pics!
Likes For rudymartini:
Old 06-19-23, 05:15 AM
rudymartini
cycling tourist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by irc
You could do worse than the Five Ferries Route. Around 2 hours by train from Edinburgh to the start/finish. No need to book bikes on these services. Just turn up.

72 miles. But working round ferry times. And a few good hills. Doable from Edinburgh in two days. Or make it a 3 day by going round the south end of Arran. Good campside right at the south end.
This looks like a really cool tour, thanks for the tip! I just got a touring bike this past weekend, I'll aim to do that next week

Last edited by rudymartini; 06-19-23 at 05:16 AM. Reason: quoting original message
Old 06-19-23, 05:25 AM
rudymartini
cycling tourist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I saw that it's possible to catch a train back to Edinburgh from Wemyss bay, so it's good to know that I can skip the last leg depending on how tired I am at the end of the 2 days.
Old 06-19-23, 05:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
Scotland is beautiful. One thing to keep in mind is that climbing with a fair amount of extra weight (depending on how much you bring) has its challenges. You may want to factor that into your daily mileage goal depending on how much climbing you plan on doing.
Old 06-20-23, 09:11 AM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rudymartini
I saw that it's possible to catch a train back to Edinburgh from Wemyss bay, so it's good to know that I can skip the last leg depending on how tired I am at the end of the 2 days.
It makes sense. That is the busiest road of the ride. It is there because most peole drive to the start so need to end in the same place. Not a problem for you.