Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sodium Hydroxide to strip anodization off rims?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 02:37 AM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I know any removal of anodization will late a layer of material with it, but will the lye weaken the rim in any other way? I'm mainly worried about chemical reaction.
Old 06-19-23, 07:28 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 287 Posts
Sodium Hydroxide is what is used to strip off anodized car mags and motorcycle parts, so would also apply to your rims.

It might be a good idea to strip the wheel down to just the rim, hub and spokes removed.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-19-23, 07:34 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by trashbiker
I know any removal of anodization will late a layer of material with it, but will the lye weaken the rim in any other way? I'm mainly worried about chemical reaction.
Lye will eat anything right up to and including dental fillings. It is an alkali. I've used t a lot to remove ugly anno before polishing. After using, make sure you neutralize the lye before proceeding. Vinegar in a spray bottle followed with water works.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-19-23, 08:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,372 Posts
Having seen a number of home stripped anodizing results I will only add that don't be surprised if the rim looks pretty bad after. If the rim has eyelets take a lot of care rinsing the lye off there. Andy
Old 06-19-23, 08:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6296 Post(s)
Liked 4,333 Times in 2,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Having seen a number of home stripped anodizing results I will only add that don't be surprised if the rim looks pretty bad after. If the rim has eyelets take a lot of care rinsing the lye off there. Andy
Sodium hydroxide is more highly reactive with the aluminum than with the aluminum oxide layer that makes up the anodized surface. That is likely the cause of the poor results. Because of the higher reaction rate for aluminum, I would also be dubious about the strength of a thin aluminum part like a rim following treatment. There is no way to preferentially control the reaction.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-19-23, 09:00 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sodium hydroxide is more highly reactive with the aluminum than with the aluminum oxide layer that makes up the anodized surface. That is likely the cause of the poor results. Because of the higher reaction rate for aluminum, I would also be dubious about the strength of a thin aluminum part like a rim following treatment. There is no way to preferentially control the reaction.
Been doing this since the 70's. Done 15 or 20 rims with no issue.
Garbage bag and oven cleaner were the method used. Oven cleaner is lye based but not pure lye. Does the job without the scars of leaving it in too long. If you don't neutralize the lye, it will keep eating.
Your mileage may vary.

The wheel has to be dissembled.
Old 06-19-23, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6296 Post(s)
Liked 4,333 Times in 2,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Been doing this since the 70's. Done 15 or 20 rims with no issue.
Garbage bag and oven cleaner were the method used. Oven cleaner is lye based but not pure lye. Does the job without the scars of leaving it in too long. If you don't neutralize the lye, it will keep eating.
Your mileage may vary.

The wheel has to be dissembled.
The real question is why do you keep buying anodized rims? Lots of rims out there that aren’t anodized.

As to the process, no matter what the concentration of sodium hydroxide, it will react with the aluminum more readily and at a higher rate than with the aluminum oxide. The result will be an unknown change in the structure of the rim. Further, sodium hydroxide may not even be removing the anodized layer since conditions to form the sodium aluminate are quite severe. It’s more likely that the dye used on anodized rims is being decolored rather than the anodized layer is being removed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-19-23 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-19-23, 09:29 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
The real question is why do you keep buying anodized rims? Lots of rims out there that aren’t anodized.

As to the process, no matter what the concentration of sodium hydroxide, it will react with the aluminum more readily and at a higher rate than with the aluminum oxide. The result will be an unknown change in the structure of the rim. Further, sodium hydroxide may not even be removing the anodized layer since conditions to form the sodium aluminate are quite severe. It’s more likely that the dye used on anodized rims is being decolored rather than the anodized layer is being removed.
I am wondering that as well? You can get some excellent rims in raw or various anodizations or polished (or both) or painted from Velocity not sure why the need for harsh chemicals? I mean I have never had an issue finding a rim that will look good on a bike I am building there are so many options and some cheaper and some more expensive but there is always been something.
Old 06-19-23, 09:32 AM
Schweinhund

This is true.
It was mostly for friends. When you can get one blue outer and one green one, you make them both shiny.
Other times it was when could get one dark anno and one something else. mostly from need
Old 06-19-23, 09:38 AM
Schweinhund

I have an experiment going now. hard anno matrix in a clear bag doused in oven cleaner.
I'll check it in a couple of hours.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-19-23, 09:54 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
no matter what the concentration of sodium hydroxide, it will react with the aluminum more readily and at a higher rate than with the aluminum oxide.
It is almost as if they anodize aluminum to make the surface less reactive.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-19-23, 10:00 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
I ruined a centrifuge rotor (by accident) with a sodium hydroxide spill. I wouldn't take a chance on wheels I cared about (which is any wheel that I would ride).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-19-23, 10:14 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 407 Posts
If you don't neutralize the lye, it will keep eating.
It might seem that it keeps going, but the reaction will stop when all of one (or more) of the reactants has been consumed. The limiting factor is probably the NaOH.
Here's the reaction for aluminum and sodium hydroxide:
2NaOH+2Al+2H2O2NaAlO2+2H2
Notice that one of the products is hydrogen gas... maybe enough to burn.
Old 06-19-23, 10:27 AM
Schweinhund

I have an experiment going now. hard anno matrix in a clear bag doused in oven cleaner.
I'll check it in a couple of hours.
Just checked it, it's starting to go...
Old 06-19-23, 10:29 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by sweeks
It might seem that it keeps going, but the reaction will stop when all of one (or more) of the reactants has been consumed. The limiting factor is probably the NaOH.
Here's the reaction for aluminum and sodium hydroxide:
2NaOH+2Al+2H2O2NaAlO2+2H2
Notice that one of the products is hydrogen gas... maybe enough to burn.
Didn't know that, but that's not the reason I do it outside. It's a good reason to keep doing it outside though.
Thank you for the heads up.
Old 06-19-23, 10:33 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by sweeks
It might seem that it keeps going, but the reaction will stop when all of one
You mean eventually. It will keep eating because you will always use more than you need.
You will need to stop the reaction when your needs are complete.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-19-23, 12:22 PM
Schweinhund

Ok, so here goes.
Best guess is give it about 3 hours with the oven cleaner and I could polish this thing in an hour or so including sanding.

wheel is a matrox 550 out of the bin

wheel

wjeel with 1 minute of sanding with 1500 grit and no oven cleaner

2 hours in oven cleaner and about 1 minute with 1500grit