Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any Verve+ 4s owners?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Any Verve+ 4s owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-23, 10:53 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Any Verve+ 4s owners?

I'm very interested in the Verve+ 4s and would like to hear opinions from owners or shops that sell them. I want a class 3 bike so the +2s and +3s Verves don't interest me. At the moment, other brands don't interest me either.

A brief forum search didn't produce anything useful.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-23, 06:42 AM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,870 Times in 875 Posts
I purchased one for my friend. Years ago (a LOT of years ago) she rode with me bikepacking through Nova Scotia. Now she's retiring, (it's her retirement gift from me) moving south, and wants to ride again.
The bike is HEAVY. Heavier than my neighbors Specialized e-bikes. But, that could be in part due to the huge battery. It comes with Schrader valve tubes. I already changed those out to Presta tubes with hole adapters.
The 'cockpit' is very adjustable. Bar height, angle of grips (useful, since she had broken her wrist in a car accident years ago and still has screws in it) brake levers, etc. Shifting is simple and intuitive. The seat is comfortable for her, and mounted on a shock absorbing seatpost with quick release adjuster for height. Hydraulic disc brakes (Shimano) work well. It didn't come with a tool to remove the wheels (don't know if that was an oversight from the bike shop or not) so have a 5mm allen ready for wheel removal if needed.
Now, on to the power system. Bosch mid drive motor has plenty of oomph, and the control system has 4 modes (5 if you count OFF): Eco, Tour, Sport, and Turbo. The control system is Bosch Purion. Hmmm. The documentation that came with the bike didn't cover the Purion controller or operation on the 4s. I did find a manual online that tells you how to change modes for range, MPH, etc on the display. It does have a Walk mode as well. But, it doesn't connect to the Bosch Flow app you can download to your smartphone, nor will it connect to a Garmin bike computer. Why, Bosch, why? Hopefully, this will be corrected in a software/firmware update sometime soon.
With the weight of the bike, I bought a RockyMounts hitch rack for my car (my bike weighs 17 lbs and goes on my roof mounted rack easily) that will support the weight and makes it much easier to lift the bike onto it. However, I did have to modify the front fender to end just at the front of the fork so the arm of the mount wouldn't clamp on a plastic fender. Just didn't seem secure to me. And the headlamp mounts low, so the arm of the mount was a very tight fit between the fender and lamp. The tail light on the bike is hard wired as well, and mounts on the rear of the rack.
If there's any other info you want, just ask and I'll do what I can to help.
Old 07-05-23, 08:21 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 519 Times in 278 Posts
I stopped looking when I saw the price. They're motorcycle money or nice used car money.

I think if I was going to spend that amount of money, I would either get a lightweight road bike (Domane+) or an eMoped. (Ride1Up Revv1)
Old 07-06-23, 07:08 PM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,870 Times in 875 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I stopped looking when I saw the price. They're motorcycle money or nice used car money.
What market are you talking about? "Nice used car money"

Old 07-07-23, 02:14 AM
adlai

Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Just looked it up.

not at all impressed. It’s a mid drive with a chain and derailleur and costs around 3.5 to 4k

I also do not like hybrid/upright e-bikes very much. Granted, I own one, but the upright position actually hurts my lower back compared to my road bikes.

you could get a priority current for less and it will have a belt drive and an igh and mid drive.
Likes For adlai:
Old 07-07-23, 09:41 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 519 Times in 278 Posts
I have a Verve 3; it's a very nice bike. Consider it a gravel bike with flat bars and you won't be far off. 45 size tires with a bit of knobby action on the edges. I added fenders and a rack to mine.

If it were motorized, it would have replaced my "need" for an Aventon Level.2 commuter eBike. However, we should also note that I got the Level.2 AND Verve 3 for WELL under the price of the Verve 4+! (and that's bike shop new prices, not used)

adlai, if you don't like upright eBikes, how about the Domane+ instead? They're big bucks too though; starting at $5k and going up over $10k. (new)
Likes For Smaug1: