Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I am deciding to buy my first road bike.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 08:02 AM
thisizmamy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm entirely new to the world of road bikes. I've been pedaling my cube acid 2018 MTB for the past four years and have had decent adventures with it. Now, I want to add a road bike to my arsenal.
Finding quality and up-to-date bikes is super rare in my country, and there's only one guy who smuggles these to my country, so I have limited choices.
Is buying a road bike from 2016 at 2500$ sensible in that matter?
To be exact, its 2016 Cube Agree C:62 SL will be sold to me at around 2500$.

Here are the specs on this bike :
Frame C:62 Advanced Twin Mold Technology Aero Frame, Direct Mount Caliper Brake, Road Sport Geometry
Fork CUBE CSL Evo C:62 Technology, Aerodynamic Direct Mount Caliper Brake, 1 1/8 / 1 1/4" Tapered
Headset FSA I-t, Top Integrated 1 1/8", Bottom Integrated 1 1/4"
Stem FSA ST-OS-97, 31.8mm
Handlebars FSA Energy Compact
Grips/Bar Tape CUBE Grip Control
Seatpost FSA SL-K, 20mm Setback, 27.2mm
Saddle Selle Italia X1 Road
Pedals This bike does not come with pedals.
Front Brake Shimano Ultegra BR-6810, Direct Mount
Rear Brake Shimano Ultegra BR-6810, Direct Mount
Brake Levers Shimano Dura-Ace ST-9000
Front Derailleur Shimano Dura Ace FD-9000, Braze-On
Rear Derailleur Not Specified
Shifters Shimano Dura-Ace ST-9000
Cassette Shimano Ultegra CS-6800, 11-28
Chain Shimano CN-HG700-11
Chainrings 50x34T
Chainset Shimano Dura-Ace FC-9000, Hollowtech II, 170mm (50/53cm), 172,5mm (56/58/60), 175mm (62cm)
Cranks Not Specified
Front Hub Fulcrum Racing 44 Aero
Rear Hub Fulcrum Racing 44 Aero
Rims Fulcrum Racing 44 Aero
Front Tyre Schwalbe One, Kevlar, 25x622
Rear Tyre Schwalbe One, Kevlar, 25x622
Old 07-26-23, 08:28 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Liked 142 Times in 54 Posts
The bike looks high end and $2500 is pretty steep. It depends on your taste. If I was just getting into it I would pick a bike with 105 group set its cheaper but still quality. I've been riding since 1990 and still ride 105. If you want race then that's a different animal.
Old 07-26-23, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,019 Times in 3,453 Posts
I wouldn't spend that much on a more 6 year old used bike.

Get something that you can easily afford that is newer or new. Don't worry if it doesn't have the top of the line components on it. The difference between them is mostly weight savings. From Tiagra to Dura-Ace today, they all shift well enough. Probably the same for Sora and Claris, but I've not used one in quite a long time.

Do you know for sure if you will like the aero position that bike will give you? If you will want a more relaxed position then that's not the bike. It might look sexy now, but after you mess it up with stuff to get the bars higher it'll look like a hag.

Don't try to buy your forever bike if you are young. Get something inexpensive enough so you can afford to get another with a slightly different geometry and then see what that does for you. And then after you know what that is, then get another bike. If you only ride one bike, then you'll miss out on the truly fun bike to ride.
Old 07-26-23, 08:45 AM
thisizmamy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't spend that much on a more 6 year old used bike.

Get something that you can easily afford that is newer or new. Don't worry if it doesn't have the top of the line components on it. The difference between them is mostly weight savings. From Tiagra to Dura-Ace today, they all shift well enough. Probably the same for Sora and Claris, but I've not used one in quite a long time.

Do you know for sure if you will like the aero position that bike will give you? If you will want a more relaxed position then that's not the bike. It might look sexy now, but after you mess it up with stuff to get the bars higher it'll look like a hag.

Don't try to buy your forever bike if you are young. Get something inexpensive enough so you can afford to get another with a slightly different geometry and then see what that does for you. And then after you know what that is, then get another bike. If you only ride one bike, then you'll miss out on the truly fun bike to ride.
I just forgot to mention that its all new and not used. does it make a difference on your opinion ?
Old 07-26-23, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I see you are still trying to figure out how to word your response/question....

But yes, even if NOS in the box my advice remains the same. Remember, the components on the bike are several versions old already. Don't you want to start out with stuff that is more current?

But also this is only my opinion. You and others don't have to be of the same opinion. Your circumstances and reasons for what you ultimately decide are what matters. Not what I or others would do.

Oh, by the way... Welcome to BF!

Last edited by Iride01; 07-26-23 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-26-23, 09:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,532 Times in 4,034 Posts
Considering that your options are limited, and pricing may not be favorable compared to places with a more open market, I don't think the Cube is a bad choice. In 2016, it would have been considered a high-end road race bike. If all the parts are in good condition, you can expect it to give you many years of good service. It's the latest and greatest in bike technology, but it will get you down the road efficiently and reliably for a long time.
Old 07-26-23, 09:55 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 728 Times in 487 Posts
2016 Cube Agree c62 seems to get all round great reviews and writeups, The SL certainly has high level components and seems to bridge the modern race geometry with some 'endurance' aspects, prolly a very nice allrounder.
CUBE bikes are all great quality stuff. This model had a list price of 4200 euros, so 2500 dollars (2250 euros) seems a very good price for a 'New' , but older model bike.
I don't see any Huge difference between the upper end bikes from that model year and the newer stuff.
if the bike fits you, and you like the 'ride' quality of it; I think it's a good deal. Check that the wheel specs for width are most current standard - 142 width in the rear.
if it's a mostly un-used , but not new... I would think around 2000 euros would still be a good price, for both parties...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-30-23, 05:56 AM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,704 Times in 803 Posts
Originally Posted by thisizmamy
Finding quality and up-to-date bikes is super rare in my country, and there's only one guy who smuggles these to my country, so I have limited choices.
Your profile says your country of residence is US. Last time I checked, finding a quality and up to date bike in the US isn't that difficult.
The Cube website lists stores in 11 states. Is there some reason your particular bike has to be 'smuggled in'? Is the frame packed with illegal drugs?
Old 07-30-23, 06:05 AM
thisizmamy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Your profile says your country of residence is US. Last time I checked, finding a quality and up to date bike in the US isn't that difficult.
The Cube website lists stores in 11 states. Is there some reason your particular bike has to be 'smuggled in'? Is the frame packed with illegal drugs?
Unfortunately, I don't live in the US. I just Opted for the US because I couldn't find Iran on the list, so chose the US. (my next destination, hopefully)
and yes, it's rare to find an official dealership in my country because of all the sanctions against my country governed by your officials!
I have minimal choices as people smuggle these things into the border.
Old 07-30-23, 06:09 AM
thisizmamy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I see you are still trying to figure out how to word your response/question....

But yes, even if NOS in the box my advice remains the same. Remember, the components on the bike are several versions old already. Don't you want to start out with stuff that is more current?

But also this is only my opinion. You and others don't have to be of the same opinion. Your circumstances and reasons for what you ultimately decide are what matters. Not what I or others would do.

Oh, by the way... Welcome to BF!
I see your point, but as I mentioned before, it's not very common to see more current stuff on the market.
It's used bikes from 2012-2018 (and they're not cheap, almost prices as they were new back in time), and some new bikes that are significantly overpriced because of all the interest people involved in smuggling will get out of that bike.
Thanks mate, I'm glad that can get advice from professionals.
Old 07-30-23, 07:36 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
what country?
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-30-23, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I see your point, but as I mentioned before, it's not very common to see more current stuff on the market.
It's used bikes from 2012-2018 (and they're not cheap, almost prices as they were new back in time), and some new bikes that are significantly overpriced because of all the interest people involved in smuggling will get out of that bike.
Thanks mate, I'm glad that can get advice from professionals.
Even the old stuff here, people ask a fortune for. I see the same bikes listed over and over and over, never selling to my knowledge. If you watch the listings, ask around everywhere, then eventually you can find a reasonable price. If $2500 is reasonable to your pocketbook and it doesn't strain your finances to the point that this has to be your one and only bike for years to come, then go for it. If everything works correctly and the bike fits you.

But if this has to be the perfect bike for you and last for some time, then I'd actually recommend a less expensive bike either older or not as well equipped. Then ride it till you know what you like and dislike and can make a better informed decision on your next bike.
Old 07-30-23, 11:17 AM
thisizmamy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Originally Posted by jadmt
what country?
sry for the miss information, I live in Iran, and when I Registered, I couldn't find it in the list.
And yes, it's very rare to find any official retail store for any legit brand here (there are just some Giant stores that are official, I guess), and it's because of all the sanctions put against Iran by the US xD (I'm the biggest critic of Iran's international policy tbh)
Old 07-30-23, 12:13 PM
thisizmamy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why I can't post something that has some sort of words in it ?
I can't even name my country
Old 07-30-23, 12:17 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
why I can't post something that has some sort of words in it ?
I can't even name my country
I saw it for a second. Iran...wonder if it will disappear on my post.
Likes For jadmt: