Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frame with dropout wheel question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 12:10 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts

Every bike I have ever owned has drop out wheels with quick release levers. This has never, every been an issue. But, this older bike I have just feels "wrong" when I put on the wheel and I'm afraid one of these days when I ride a bike, the front wheel will fall out and I'll die.

I've watched videos on how to properly close to close the quick release hinge (tight enough so that you should feel some resistance and there is a bit of pressure on the palm of the hand. But I swear, with this bike, I have to leave it pretty loose or else the tire rubs and can't spin. The wheel has the spring. I "think the spring is the right way. I just figure I'm doing something wrong - even though I've done this many times with other bikes for transporting them. It's been in the shop and the bike shop had it properly secure without it rubbing, so what noob stupid thing am I doing?

I got this new to see Surly Ogre, but it's a quick release wheel - which has me concerned. (Is that possible to change to a thru axel?)
Old 07-31-23, 12:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6334 Post(s)
Liked 4,929 Times in 3,392 Posts
How old is the Surly Ogre? There have been some skewers that didn't hold well enough. But that was long ago. Perhaps you just need to go to a shop or two and get them to show you how to properly adjust and close the skewer. Possible there is something wrong with that skewer and you just need a new one. In fact since you say that something rubs when you tighten it, then there is something wrong somewhere. Again, best to go to a shop if you can't see the actual cause of the problem yourself.

You won't easily change from a QR/Skewer to a thru-axle. They have to cut the drops off and fit others into place. And you'd need a new hub or entirely new wheel. Not a inexpensive thing.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-31-23 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 12:26 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Originally Posted by Iride01
How old is the Surly Ogre? There have been some skewers that didn't hold well enough. But that was long ago. Perhaps you just need to go to a shop or two and get them to show you how to properly adjust and close the skewer. Possible there is something wrong with that skewer and you just need a new one.

You won't easily change from a QR/Skewer to a thru-axle. They have to cut the drops off and fit others into place. And you'd need a new hub or entirely new wheel. Not a inexpensive thing.

I should have been clearer. I just got a new to me Surly. I haven't even used it yet, but it has a quick release wheel and I'm now leery because of this other bike (Bianchi Advantage 1993) I have that just doesn't seem right I'm just being stupid.
Old 07-31-23, 12:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5058 Post(s)
Liked 8,334 Times in 3,935 Posts
If the axle is properly seated in the dropouts, and the tire rubs when you tighten the skewer, it sounds like there is an alignment issue. Riding with a loose skewer is never the right answer.
Old 07-31-23, 12:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6334 Post(s)
Liked 4,929 Times in 3,392 Posts
It's still not clear to me. Which bike is it that you are having the issue of something rubbing and you've loosened the skewer to keep it from not rubbing? If that's the older bike, then what issue are you having with your new Surly? You said you were use to riding bikes with skewers (QR), so what happened to make you skittish?

If the new Surly is the one giving you issues with rub, then go back to the shop you bought it from or take it to a authorized Surly dealer/repair center. They need to know if they messed something up in the assembly or missed something during their checks before they sold it to you. There might be warranty issues in play that you might mess up if you futz with it yourself.

Is this what your rear looks like on your Surly? If so, then while that is technically a QR as Surly calls it in their specs, it might not adjust quite like we use to do our QR's back in the days before Thru-Axles. But I don't know, never seen or used one like that till I saw these pics on Surly's site.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre

Last edited by Iride01; 07-31-23 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 12:43 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by Iride01
How old is the Surly Ogre? There have been some skewers that didn't hold well enough. But that was long ago. Perhaps you just need to go to a shop or two and get them to show you how to properly adjust and close the skewer. Possible there is something wrong with that skewer and you just need a new one. In fact since you say that something rubs when you tighten it, then there is something wrong somewhere. Again, best to go to a shop if you can't see the actual cause of the problem yourself.

Thanks! That bike (The old one) will now be on the bike trainer, so I don't have to worry about the front wheel any more. Just don't want to EVER worry about a wheel falling out.

I'll go play with the Ogre - I just got home from running errands and I need to put the wheel on (it was in the trunk). It will be a moment of truth to see if I'm just dumb or there is something not quite right with that skewer/quick-release thing.)

And Thanks for the info on switching to thru-axel. That is a big nope then!
Old 07-31-23, 01:31 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 435 Posts
Check the conical springs. They should be pointing in. If not, you'll have problems.
Old 07-31-23, 01:41 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 349 Posts
Have the wheel inspected by a shop that knows what it's doing. There is no legitimate or safe reason to ride with a loose QR skewer.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 07-31-23, 03:37 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 679 Posts
some good advice here. Get this thing looked at by an expert. We cannot diagnose it here.

you may have a dropout that is bent. this is fixable, but get a shop to look at it. A front wheel dropping out is a bad wipe out. have seen it happen

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-31-23, 04:19 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,841 Posts
A front wheel properly installed using a quick release that has been adjusted correctly won’t rub or fall out.

There are two possibilities: something is wrong with your bike/wheel/quick release, or you’re doing something wrong. No way near enough information to determine which it is.
Old 07-31-23, 04:20 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 768 Posts
Agree with the other posters. Take it to a shop for inspection as there are a few things that would cause this and knowing what to look for can save many headaches. Things such as broken or bent axle, axle cones are loose or spacing is wrong, springs reversed, bent fork or ends, poor technique, etc., etc., are all possibilities.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 07-31-23 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 04:42 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked 6,581 Times in 3,261 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Get this thing looked at by an expert. We cannot diagnose it here.
Sorta difficult to diagnose anything without a simple photograph.

Spoiler

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-31-23, 05:52 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 538 Posts
the QR wheels are held in the dropouts by GRAVITY when you ride.
The only force trying to Remove them is also GRAVITY, if you wheelie or jump the bike.
If you even lightly tighten the QR, the Wheel WILL NOT "FALL OUT"...
unless the bike has disc brakes... then brake force TORQUE will try to rotate the Axle out of the dropouts.

and i concur with the others,., take the bike to a Bike shop and have them inspect it and Teach You How to Install the Wheel Correctly.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-01-23, 07:28 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 243 Posts
Are you inserting the wheel with the bike up on a workstand or otherwise off the ground? I have found that it is way easier to center it when both wheels are on the ground. Too many things to juggle otherwise. Probably something simple like that.

Or maybe your rim brake is out of alignment. Also an easy fix.
Old 08-01-23, 08:17 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
(Is that possible to change to a thru axel?
I remove almost all of the quick releases from my wheels and install these things
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ewer&_osacat=0
Old 08-01-23, 08:52 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Front wheel? If the fork doesn't come with lawyer tabs, try this https://www.amazon.com/HUB-RETAINING.../dp/B000AO5KQK. Not sure how the rear wheel can fall out given it's not a "dropout" design. I would learn how to use a quick release (ask a friend, YouTube, LBS, etc). Those clips are just stupid but keeps the suppliers and seller from financial ruin by ambulance chasers.
Old 08-02-23, 02:57 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 373 Posts
Every bike I have ever owned has drop out wheels with quick release levers. This has never, every been an issue. But, this older bike I have just feels "wrong" when I put on the wheel and I'm afraid one of these days when I ride a bike, the front wheel will fall out and I'll die.
That's what lawyer lips and retention washers are for, you can buy or make washers if they're not already fitted. Some people like to fit zip ties, more as an anti-tamper measure or reminder than to actually hold the wheel on.
I've watched videos on how to properly close to close the quick release hinge (tight enough so that you should feel some resistance and there is a bit of pressure on the palm of the hand.
I hope you've been doing them tighter than that - guidance usually says tight enough to make a dent in your hand.
But I swear, with this bike, I have to leave it pretty loose or else the tire rubs and can't spin. The wheel has the spring. I "think the spring is the right way. I just figure I'm doing something wrong - even though I've done this many times with other bikes for transporting them. It's been in the shop and the bike shop had it properly secure without it rubbing, so what noob stupid thing am I doing?
There should be two springs, one on each side, with the small end against the axle, but one missing wouldn't cause your problem. It sounds like the cones are loose on the axle or the axle is broken - take the wheel off, remove the skewer and feel the bearings, also check cones/locknuts for tightness.
I got this new to see Surly Ogre, but it's a quick release wheel - which has me concerned. (Is that possible to change to a thru axel?)
You should be able to find a solid axle and nuts that will fit in your hub, but many people use QR wheels without a problem. You occasionally hear about problems, but that's usually people who don't understand how a QR works. There is a potential issue with QR and disc brakes, but it shouldn't be a problem with a steel fork.
Old 08-07-23, 08:19 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
There should be two springs, one on each side, with the small end against the axle, but one missing wouldn't cause your problem. It sounds like the cones are loose on the axle or the axle is broken - take the wheel off, remove the skewer and feel the bearings, also check cones/locknuts for tightness.
The springs are cone-shaped. The narrow end of the cone goes to the inside. If not, the axle doesn't seat in the dropout properly, which might be part of your problem.
Old 08-07-23, 10:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 790 Posts
post pictures of your quick release and the empty drop outs.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-08-23, 10:52 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,045 Times in 1,841 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I remove almost all of the quick releases from my wheels and install these things
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ewer&_osacat=0
You replace alll your quick releases with PITA releases? Unquick Releases?? Why??
Old 08-08-23, 01:24 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by smd4
You replace alll your quick releases with PITA releases? Unquick Releases?? Why??
possibly to slow down wheel thieves.... or maybe pighound enjoys fighting with buggered up allen holes or thin-wrench slots in aluminum nuts...?

i've considered using them on my ALAN... it wears Mavic Open Elites, DT double butted spokes, Dura-Ace 7400 Hubs, DA Titanium Cassette, a pair of Gatorskins and lightweight tubes...... add lacing labor, x2..... !$!

Last edited by maddog34; 08-08-23 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-08-23, 01:48 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
The springs are cone-shaped. The narrow end of the cone goes to the inside. If not, the axle doesn't seat in the dropout properly, which might be part of your problem.
I recall having to RIP a rear wheel out of a frame because of a pair of backwards cone springs...
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-08-23, 02:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4866 Post(s)
Liked 4,016 Times in 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
the QR wheels are held in the dropouts by GRAVITY when you ride.
The only force trying to Remove them is also GRAVITY, if you wheelie or jump the bike.
If you even lightly tighten the QR, the Wheel WILL NOT "FALL OUT"...
unless the bike has disc brakes... then brake force TORQUE will try to rotate the Axle out of the dropouts.

and i concur with the others,., take the bike to a Bike shop and have them inspect it and Teach You How to Install the Wheel Correctly.
Not my experience. I had a front wheel come out on a very gentle descent on perfect pavement going straight. 30 miles into the ride. My post race years and I was a smooth rider. Campy Record or NR QR. Rim brakes (and my hands were nowhere near the levers). Hadn't checked it for a while but I'd been using QRs for 17 years (and all my racing) when it happened. Logically pulling the lever out completely on that stretch of road should have been no big deal. Instead, I got to experience the wheel coming out of the dropouts completely, twisting around, then bending that blade back a lot and tossing me over the bars. At probably 25 mph.

So, yes, all of what you say makes sense. Just happens I've seen otherwise. (And now tighten my front QRs as tight as in back with horizontal dropouts.)
Old 08-08-23, 04:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 1,569 Posts
Stop obsessing over every possibility, or things that vaguely MIGHT or COULD happen and learn to trust your bike and your basic skill in setting it up safely.

An easy way to know if your front wheel is secure is to pick up the front end and give the front wheel a solid karate chop or punch at the top. It will not move.
A QR system, properly used is secure enough that if you were to repeat the above test with a sledge hammer you'd dent the rim before the wheel would move in the fork.

Also, know that bikes have highly evolved designs refined by people who imagine every possible "what if". The fork and dropouts are designed so that gravity and road impacts keep the wheel on even if the axle isn't properly secured.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-08-23, 08:10 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Not my experience. I had a front wheel come out on a very gentle descent on perfect pavement going straight. 30 miles into the ride. My post race years and I was a smooth rider. Campy Record or NR QR. Rim brakes (and my hands were nowhere near the levers). Hadn't checked it for a while but I'd been using QRs for 17 years (and all my racing) when it happened. Logically pulling the lever out completely on that stretch of road should have been no big deal. Instead, I got to experience the wheel coming out of the dropouts completely, twisting around, then bending that blade back a lot and tossing me over the bars. At probably 25 mph.

So, yes, all of what you say makes sense. Just happens I've seen otherwise. (And now tighten my front QRs as tight as in back with horizontal dropouts.)
(*** note to self.. Never trust campy QRs.)

should mention this.. i've watched a kid reach down and open a QR on a bike chained in front of a supermarket... i walked over and Closed it.. then chased the stupid trickster for a block while yelling obscentities at the top of my large lungs.. then tripped him and Laughed as i walked away... he was wearing shorts that hung too low, and his expensive BB shoes were untied.. not the hot setup when trying to escape a fat old bald guy with attitude and massive thigh muscles, eh?... I hope he bled all over those nikes...

Last edited by maddog34; 08-11-23 at 07:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.