Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brake Lever Conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 03:15 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

I have a cheap pandemic era hybrid with Shimano 3x8. It came with Shimano ST-EF505 levers, which are a combination lever/trigger shifter unit, on BR-MT200 brake calipers. I am changing a few things around, one of them the brakes. I have the correct MT200 levers and a few questions:

-Can I just unscrew the hollow bolt-type members on the combo lever hoses, leave the olives and barbs as they are, and then screw the hoses into the new levers? Is it that simple, or would I need to clip the ends of the hoses with the old barbs in them and then install new barbs and olives with a barb pressing tool? Do you have to have the pressing tool or can you install the new barb and new olive without specialized equipment?

-If I can just unscrew and then screw the holding members/hollow nuts into the new levers with the existing barbs and olives in place, do I absolutely have to inject mineral oil from the bottom of the system at the caliper? Or can I just put it into the reservoir with one of the oil cups, squeezing the lever to get rid of air bubbles? Could you potentially just remove the faceplate of the reservoir
even, and squirt oil directly into the space?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-02-23, 11:20 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,167 Times in 2,012 Posts
Unscrewing & reusing the hose as is can work, but if you notice that the lever over time bottoms out, & you performed a good bleeding, then it might be allowing air in.
I've installed the barb by hand before having the tool, but it takes a steady hand to accomplish it.
Make sure that the hose it cut square & is clean/free of obstruction. I mainly obtained the tooling just for that later purpose.
It is almost necessary to back feed bleed the system. It may be possible doing it the other way, but it probably will take less time to do it the aforementioned way.
Old 08-02-23, 10:52 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Unscrewing & reusing the hose as is can work, but if you notice that the lever over time bottoms out, & you performed a good bleeding, then it might be allowing air in.
I've installed the barb by hand before having the tool, but it takes a steady hand to accomplish it.
Make sure that the hose it cut square & is clean/free of obstruction. I mainly obtained the tooling just for that later purpose.
It is almost necessary to back feed bleed the system. It may be possible doing it the other way, but it probably will take less time to do it the aforementioned way.
Thanks for that. I have been watching brake bleeding tutorial videos at the University of Youtube, and I think it should be okay. I've been doing my own wrenching this year, after relying on shops for the longest time, but I have been avoiding hydraulic brakes. Time to bite the bullet I guess!
Likes For PDKL45: