Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fell Down the Trek Rabbit Hole!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 09:13 AM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts

About 10 years ago, I built up a Surly Pacer with 105 components, rode it a few years, life happened (kids) and it was hung up in the garage for another day. Well, another day is here.

My coworker that originally got me into cycling a decade ago was downsizing his home and wanted to know if I wanted his son's old rode bike. Always up for a free deal, I took it and ended up with a 56cm '96 Trek 2300, sans wheels, tires & saddle but otherwise in great shape.

Found a wheelset with tires on OfferUp and a saddle in a parts bin at the LBS.

And, the finished product with a happy 13 year old. For proper fit, we changed to a shorter stem and shallow drop, narrower handlebars.

I was then after a proper fitting bicycle for my 10 year old. He has always had hand me downs and was on my wife's tank of a MTB that was too big and heavy for him. I wanted something specific that was only his, fit him well and was lighter weight. Searching OfferUp, I found a '94 Trek Singletrack 930 that appeared to be in great shape. The seller said the shifters were bad among other small problems.

After purchasing it, putting a few hours of cleaning, rehabbing the shifter & tuning, the 930 worked perfect as new. I was able to surprise him with it and he was beyond belief.

In all, I've got a out $265 total into both bikes, two very happy kiddos that will get years of use out of them and riding partners with endless energy!

With rehabbing both bicycles, it also got me thinking about getting a mid '90's rigid MTB for myself. It's what I had a teenager and loved it. The search was on and found a '96 Trek Singletrack 930. It's not perfect but will be a fun project. My plan is to keep this one period correct.

​​​​​​
Old 08-05-23, 10:54 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Liked 1,596 Times in 949 Posts
Nice! I have a 930 myself and love it to bits. Good on you for getting your kids into bikes; as the saying goes, teach them the love of bikes and they'll never have money for drugs.
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-05-23, 11:21 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,027 Times in 683 Posts
That is excellentI am myself bulding two trek project MTBs, one 6500slr and one 6700slr. The single track930 was an entirely US made product as was the Trek 2300. Older Treks made before 2017 were high quality products.
Likes For georges1:
Old 08-05-23, 12:15 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Originally Posted by georges1
That is excellentI am myself bulding two trek project MTBs, one 6500slr and one 6700slr. The single track930 was an entirely US made product as was the Trek 2300. Older Treks made before 2017 were high quality products.
Agreed! I'm really impressed with the availability of tech manuals and documentation for each year provided by Trek. I'm sure there will be more acquired.
Old 08-05-23, 12:53 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Liked 3,839 Times in 1,551 Posts
You are just starting to peek around the rabbit hole, staring down into it. Just wait till you truly fall in! You are in good company!

I have more Treks in my garage than any other bike, and I didn't intend it to be that way, just sort of happened.

You've found some excellent examples so far! I have a '98 Trek 930 Singletrack as a frame right now, saving for a rainy day.

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend pouring over the late 80s and 90s Trek catalogs and studying the differences between the years and models. Lots of fun, and will keep you entertained for hours.

Prior to 1994, the Trek 9xx mtb lineup were lugged frames, and these bikes are sought after as do-it-all bikepacking rigs and commuters. In '94, they swtiched to tig welded frames, and the 930 and 950 I believe were double butted (OX Comp II True Temper) tubing and the 970 and 990 were the OXIII triple butted tubing. In 1998 they changed the seatstay design to a wishbone style, and I believe '99 was the last year for the USA-made Trek steel mtbs. I had a 1990 Trek 990 (lugged) mtb that I sold for a non-profit bike program and was probably my fastest sale ever! I tend to think the zenith of these mtb frames were the '94-'97 970 and 990 OXIII triple butted frames w/ the added gusset under the top tube. One of my favorite bikes, that is sort of in perpetual 'project' status is a mid-90s Trek 990 that I picked up w/ a boat anchor Rock Shox fork unoriginal to the frame. The whole thing was a mongrel, but the frame was a gem. When I had it built up and converted to 700c and straight bars, it was a super light, fast commuter, a really fun bike. The Trek MultiTracks are also a fantastic bike. My MT 750 defies all the odds - such a fantastic bike. They were ahead of their time, and only in the last 10 years or so starting to become appreciated for their geometry and flexibility. You can still find them cheap.

Some real Trek gems:

- Early lugged 9xx lugged mtbs
-'94-'97 970/990 triple butted mtbs
- steel MultiTracks, 750 and above, from all years
- Trek 400/Elance road bike, punches above its weight class
- Early 1980s Trek 7xx and 9xx series road bikes
- Trek 720 road bike, a legendary touring bike
- Of course, the hand built Reynolds 753 '170' racing bike

I will always sing the praises of the Singletrack / MultiTrack. Get them while they are still dirt cheap.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 08-05-23, 10:05 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1,059 Times in 686 Posts
You did good [MENTION=313652]clarkbre[/MENTION]. I love those old Treks. I'm guessing the shifter on the 930 are Rapid Fire and just needed to work in some lubrication to get the tiny internals moving again. Let's see where your kids take this.

It is funny sometimes, because you now are a Trek family. And I am thinking that you didn't intend it that way. I have a garage (and basement) full of Schwinn's and Treks even though that was not my plan. Oh, I have a Cannondale. Still an American brand.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-05-23, 10:32 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Liked 700 Times in 344 Posts
I don't have too much interest in whatever Trek is doing nowadays, just sad for all the small town bike shops out there that mostly sell Chinese Treks.

But Trek sure did have some interesting bikes back in the day. My 1979 710 that I acquired this year is my current favorite all-around road bike.
Likes For albrt:
Old 08-05-23, 11:40 PM
clarkbre

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
You did good [MENTION=313652]clarkbre[/MENTION]. I love those old Treks. I'm guessing the shifter on the 930 are Rapid Fire and just needed to work in some lubrication to get the tiny internals moving again. Let's see where your kids take this.

It is funny sometimes, because you now are a Trek family. And I am thinking that you didn't intend it that way. I have a garage (and basement) full of Schwinn's and Treks even though that was not my plan. Oh, I have a Cannondale. Still an American brand.
Yes. You guessed the Rapidfire shifters correctly. Both sides were gummed up, after cleaning and lubing, they are crisp and feel new. My son was so excited to ride this morning and we went on a 5 miler for his first ride. We both smiled the whole time.

Yep, we are totally shifting to the Trek side. I have a '13 Surly Pacer and '94 Giant Innova hybrid that both work great and fit me well. They will stay for functionality and sentimental value. My littlest guy is 4 years old and is on a 16" wheel Trek and he will have his brothers' 24" Trek precaliber.

Um....my garage is looking like a bike shop!!!
Likes For clarkbre:
Old 08-06-23, 07:57 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Liked 463 Times in 170 Posts
Nice Trek’s! I’m currently avoiding the Trek rabbit hole. I’ve only recently got back into biking and fell down the Cannondale rabbit hole.

That said, I keep thinking about that Trek road bike I owned 32 years ago when I was a wee lad. Many a good mile were pedaled. The bike and I parted ways long ago when it was stolen outside the officers club on Edwards AFB. But as I contemplate my return to biking I’ve only done the MTB thing. If I do a road bike I must find another Trek. And it must be the same model. But I’ll be damned if I can recall it. Maybe I should look through some old catalogs (85-87) to see if I can jog my memory……
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 08-06-23, 01:15 PM
Smokinapankake

Liked 710 Times in 269 Posts
This is awesome. I, too, have fallen down the Trek-hole. And I, too, never intended to. When I worked at Fishers Cyclery (gone now) in Salt Lake City back in the mid 90's, our closest competitors was Guthrie's Cycles who sold Trek. We often would joke about them: "Trek? You know what they say? Ride a Trek, ride a wreck" or commenting on the Trek Y bikes that would come in for repair occasionally: "Y bike? Why'd ya buy that bike?" and stuff like that.

Then, several years ago, the 1st Trek came into my life, a 2008 7300 hybrid.
And I fixed it up and rode the crap out of it. I toured on it many overnight trips. I commuted on it almost exclusively for a couple years. I added a dynamo hub and dynamo light. It was, admittedly, my favorite bike. I then stumbled onto a 2014 Trek Allant 7 that I did lots of work to and rode for lots of miles. Commuted, mainly on it. Then bought a 96 Trek Multitrack 720 that I handed down to my daughter as a replacement for her aluminum framed Schwinn hybrid. She likes the Trek much better. Then I bought a pair of 96 Singletrack 930's. One to flip, one to keep. I changed the suspension fork to a rigid, added upright bars and a rack, and it is now among my favorites, along with the 7300 and my Kona Smoke. Somewhere in there I was fortunate enough to score a like new 95 Trek MultiTrack 7900, the top end carbon fiber hybrid. A sweet bike but I just didn't like the noodley feel of the frame. So I moved it on. I'd love to find a nice 96 750multitrack in my size, at a reasonable price, and reasonably near to me. I'd be on it like a fly on a turd!

In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep on riding these old wrecks!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 08-06-23, 06:42 PM
clarkbre

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
....Then I bought a pair of 96 Singletrack 930's. One to flip, one to keep. I changed the suspension fork to a rigid, added upright bars and a rack, and it is now among my favorites, along with the 7300 and my Kona Smoke. ...
I saw your thread on the dual '96's. Mine is very similar. Love it! I'll probably try to track down a 20" frame for my oldest son.

Today, we pulled the training wheels off my 4 year old's bike. Yep, you guessed it, he learned on the Trek his older brothers rode!
Likes For clarkbre:
Old 08-06-23, 07:39 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Liked 463 Times in 170 Posts
Uh oh a 1989 1100 in nice shape came into my cross hairs......
Likes For IdahoBrett: