Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front disc brake rub issue when under load

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 12:47 PM
marbles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

I'm building up a monstercross type bike. I have an issue with the front disc rubbing when i'm sat on the bike. When there is no load there is no disc rub. Just wondered if someone here could diagnose and help me resolve this. I am beginning to wonder if the lower fork bearing race might be out of alignment forcing the wheel out of of true or the wheel? The problem happens in both laternal and forwards movement.

Parts
160mm rotor, SRAM road Rival caliper on a 160-180 adapter plate. Hydraulic hose as yet unattached. 2.6" tyre, 29er mtb wheel rim, carbon mtb fork with QR drop outs. The front wheel bearings feel tight and both the wheel and the rotor are true.

Any ideas?

Last edited by marbles; 08-16-23 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-16-23, 05:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5919 Post(s)
Liked 2,794 Times in 1,562 Posts
To diagnose this you have to focus or possible movement between the disc brake mounts and the disc itself. Anything not within those "boundries" doesn't factor.

I'd consider fork flex near the ends, hub bearing play, movement of the axle in the dropouts, etc.

For starters I'd pull the rim across toward a fork blade while watching for movement of the disc in the brake.

FWIW my prime suspect would be axle play, which is easy to confirm and fix or rule out.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-17-23, 02:10 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
To diagnose this you have to focus or possible movement between the disc brake mounts and the disc itself. Anything not within those "boundaries" doesn't factor.

I'd consider fork flex near the ends, hub bearing play, movement of the axle in the dropouts, etc.

For starters I'd pull the rim across toward a fork blade while watching for movement of the disc in the brake.

FWIW my prime suspect would be axle play, which is easy to confirm and fix or rule out.
This ^^^^^

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 08-17-23, 08:51 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 3,950 Times in 2,352 Posts
The first thing I think of is fork slop between the uppers and lowers. Andy
Old 08-17-23, 11:39 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5919 Post(s)
Liked 2,794 Times in 1,562 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The first thing I think of is fork slop between the uppers and lowers. Andy
Interesting.

I would have thought that the brake bridge at the top would have provided enough rigidity to the lower fork/wheel assembly.

But, you work on far more suspension bikes than I ever have or will, so I defer to your experience.
Old 08-17-23, 05:24 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Interesting.

I would have thought that the brake bridge at the top would have provided enough rigidity to the lower fork/wheel assembly.

But, you work on far more suspension bikes than I ever have or will, so I defer to your experience.
"monstercross" bikes are rigid fork.
i've seen only a couple "carbon suspension forks" EVER... two Super-high dollar Lefty Cannondales... they were MTBs.

As to the issue the OP is having.. i'd be looking at the Dropouts REAL CLOSE, and also the triple clamp/tube junctions...

there's a strong chance that the Quick Release is bottoming out on the axle before the thing can clamp solidly, too......

OR The AXLE IS BROKEN.

Carbon tubes fitted into aluminum Triple clamp and dropouts, right? Brand? Model?

Last edited by maddog34; 08-17-23 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-17-23, 07:41 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 239 Posts
The first thing I’d do is replace the skewer with a closed cam design if you can’ haven’t already. It can be hard to get the skewer tight enough to work well with a disc otherwise.

Also check the alignment of caliper carefully. If the disc tabs aren’t machined perfectly perpendicular to the disc you may be able to get it to not rub in the stand, but not have enough clearance in real world conditions. Having the mount faced at a shop with appropriate tooling isn’t a bad idea.
Likes For cpach: