Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Linear pull brake levers with caliper brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 04:13 PM
arupaka

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Is it ok to use linear pull brake levers with caliper brakes? I'm shopping for a pair of levers but can only find "v-brake compatible" stuff at my usual shop, at least it's what it says in the specifications section. In this case am talking about shimano deore bl-t610 levers.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-23, 06:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
Sure but your brake system will suffer. The lever pull will feel very firm at the point of pad/rim contact. But the linear pull levers will have less mechanical advantage then the calipers are likely intended for so the brakes won't have as much "power" as intended. Andy
Old 08-17-23, 07:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,569 Times in 3,060 Posts
You could sort of do it but really just get the correct levers. I see 8 short pull flat bar levers on QBP as of august 17th 2023. The BL-4700 would be the same as your Deore option but in short pull or if you want the better option Paul still makes the Canti Lever which is one of the nicest flat bar levers out there.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-17-23, 07:17 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Liked 633 Times in 436 Posts
I bought a pair of Shimano "SORA" levers and found that there is a choice of cable position to allow these levers to work with either short-pull or long-pull brakes. There may be other levers with this feature.

The SORA brake lever.

Close-up of the adjustable cable attachment.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 08-19-23, 11:01 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF, Specialized Sirrus Gravel convert '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 1,135 Times in 806 Posts
gonna need to know which levers you're wanting to buy.. Road/drop bar? MTB/flat bar? "Brifters"?
Old 08-25-23, 02:05 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Liked 1,496 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I bought a pair of Shimano "SORA" levers and found that there is a choice of cable position to allow these levers to work with either short-pull or long-pull brakes. There may be other levers with this feature.

The SORA brake lever.

Close-up of the adjustable cable attachment.
Claris flat-bar levers (BL-R2000) have that same feature, and so do some older Tektro Quartz levers, which are really nice, if you can find a NOS or decent used pair.

Two early model Trek FX I own came stock with Avid FR-5 levers (which, so far as I know, are long-pull) and Tektro "mini" V brakes (with 85mm brake arms, having a similar short-pull ratio to that of your typical road caliper) and they've been fine, with strong stooping power and the kind of solid contact feel that's almost like that of a nice mechanical disk brake.