Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone carry multiple tube sizes in case you have the opportunity to help someone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone carry multiple tube sizes in case you have the opportunity to help someone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 03:50 PM
cheapshades

Bikes: '23 Fuji Sportif 1.3 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I ran into a guy on my trail today who had a punctured tire. He is a college student and was commuting on a mountain bike. I have an extra tube for my bike, but unfortunately it wasn't something that I could offer him due to the size difference. If I would've had a few extra tubes of common sizes with me, there's a chance I could have helped him right there.

Anyone else do something like this? Also, if I decide to do it, what are 2 other very common tube sizes that would have the highest likelihood of being useful?

Thanks!

Edit: I am really new to biking, and the concept of a patch kit just didn't cross my mind.

Last edited by cheapshades; 08-21-23 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For cheapshades:
Old 08-21-23, 03:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3940 Post(s)
Liked 4,940 Times in 2,277 Posts
No!
What size should I carry? Stem length? Tubulars, too? TPU, Latex, surely not just Butyl! Stem extenders? Presta, Shrader?

edit: We live in the cell phone era. I also don't carry chains, cables, spare batteries, etc.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-21-23 at 04:08 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 08-21-23, 04:00 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,996 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by cheapshades
I ran into a guy on my trail today who had a punctured tire. He is a college student and was commuting on a mountain bike. I have an extra tube for my bike, but unfortunately it wasn't something that I could offer him due to the size difference. If I would've had a few extra tubes of common sizes with me, there's a chance I could have helped him right there.

Anyone else do something like this? Also, if I decide to do it, what are 2 other very common tube sizes that would have the highest likelihood of being useful?

Thanks!
well a good patch kit takes the place of multiple size tubes. I would help patch but I carry higher end tubes and when I ride it is usually long rides so I am not giving my tubes up to a stranger, a patch yes.
Old 08-21-23, 04:01 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Wildwood
No!
What size should I carry? Stem length? Tubulars, too? TPU, Latex, surely not just Butyl! Stem extenders?
yup, offer a patch but that is it for me.
Old 08-21-23, 04:03 PM
cheapshades

Bikes: '23 Fuji Sportif 1.3 Disc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
well a good patch kit takes the place of multiple size tubes. I would help patch but I carry higher end tubes and when I ride it is usually long rides so I am not giving my tubes up to a stranger, a patch yes.
Oh duh. Obviously. I feel dumb for even asking, now.
Old 08-21-23, 04:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

yup, offer a patch but that is it for me.
I don't carry a patch kit. Check the tire, Swap the tube and Go. Patch at home. But, in ~3 situations over 40 years of cycling I have given another cyclist my spare tube that would fit. I ride tubulars about 2/3 of the time and never had a request/need from those riders.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-21-23 at 04:20 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 08-21-23, 04:17 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I would be inclined to offer a stranger the use of my pump or tools, and would probably even give away my spare tube if that's what's needed and it happened to be the right size. No way am I carrying extra sizes.

I should say I'd let someone use my pump on the one condition that she's not an attractive female, when my wife is with me. I did that once and my wife didn't like it. We were riding together and encountered a small group stopped along the trail. One of these riders, who was very good looking, asked to borrow my pump. Of course I allowed it. Everyone in the group chatted for a few minutes while she pumped up her tire. Later, my wife claimed that she was flirting with me pretty hard. She stopped short of accusing me of flirting back, but she wasn't happy about it. I thought from now on I'd better be ready to say, "I'm sorry, I do have a pump and I see that you need it, but you are beautiful, so I cannot stop."
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-21-23, 04:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,932 Posts
I've had occasion to share quick links several times over the years. Carry what you would need and another one or two sizes. 9-11 would be a useful range.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-21-23, 05:08 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 482 Posts
I don't carry a patch kit anymore, only Park Tooks GP-2 patches (self-sticking patch, works on TPU also...)
They might be offered ! / ONE..
or offered one ph call, on my cell...
... not set in stone - one guy's sob story was so unique, Arabian nights - he got 2 patches...LOL!
ride on
Yuri
Old 08-21-23, 05:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I carry compressed air cylinders instead of a pump. I feel sorry for mini-pump users - and have filled a few tubes in a second. To the amazement of most pumpers.

edit in view of below comment - I carry multiple compressed air cylinders, not one or two. Small, but a bit heavy, I must confess. The frame pump comes along when I ride with everything in jersey pockets.

TBH - I almost never suffer flats - luck, tires replaced before worn out, mostly on roads not gravel, inspect for cuts, luck, etc.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-21-23 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-21-23, 05:37 PM
jadmt

I carry compressed air cylinders instead of a pump. I feel sorry for mini-pump users - and have filled a few tubes in a second. To the amazement of most pumpers.
while you would beat me for sure, I can pump up several flats on a ride. Yesterday I flatted a RH RTP and was pretty amazed how fast my little Silca Tattico had it pumped up to ~50psi. took about 2 minutes. there is so much crap on the roads here tubes, patches and pump get used way too often.
Old 08-21-23, 05:42 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by cyclezen
I don't carry a patch kit anymore, only Park Tooks GP-2 patches (self-sticking patch, works on TPU also...)
They might be offered ! / ONE..
or offered one ph call, on my cell...
... not set in stone - one guy's sob story was so unique, Arabian nights - he got 2 patches...LOL!
ride on
Yuri
I am not picky, I consider those a patch kit too .
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-21-23, 05:42 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9682 Post(s)
Liked 6,405 Times in 3,516 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I would be inclined to offer a stranger the use of my pump or tools, and would probably even give away my spare tube if that's what's needed and it happened to be the right size. No way am I carrying extra sizes.

I should say I'd let someone use my pump on the one condition that she's not an attractive female, when my wife is with me. I did that once and my wife didn't like it. We were riding together and encountered a small group stopped along the trail. One of these riders, who was very good looking, asked to borrow my pump. Of course I allowed it. Everyone in the group chatted for a few minutes while she pumped up her tire. Later, my wife claimed that she was flirting with me pretty hard. She stopped short of accusing me of flirting back, but she wasn't happy about it. I thought from now on I'd better be ready to say, "I'm sorry, I do have a pump and I see that you need it, but you are beautiful, so I cannot stop."
Your response to your wife could have been, “Other than you, my dear, why would I want to be with anyone who would want to be with me?”
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-21-23, 05:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 4,052 Times in 2,627 Posts
I've helped out both mini pumpers and cylinder users with my frame pump. And at least a couple of Silca pump users. (Zephal HPs or HPXs liver on all my bikes.)
Old 08-21-23, 08:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,582 Posts
My main bike has 650B wheels, but I often pack a 700x28-32C tube as well, just in case someone else needs one. It has come in handy a few times, and I figure it's good karma.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-21-23, 09:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8433 Post(s)
Liked 9,376 Times in 4,605 Posts
I rarely carry more than 1 tube. Friends have given me a tube when I have double-flatted or I have patched the second flat when alone.

I met my ex wife when she had a flat and I patched it for her.

I was riding my mountain bike on a hot day. I passed a young couple on the way up and she was struggling with the heat. I took a side trip to a fire station and refilled my Camelbak and when I got to the descent they were walking because she had a front flat. They had decided to make a loop and had never been there so they were basically lost with a flat and it was getting hotter.

She had 26" wheels and had no tube or any way to fix it. I offered to try and patch it and the guy wouldn't hear of it. I was concerned for her survival and really tried to help. The guy asked for directions and wanted me to leave after that. A 5+ mile walk in 100+ heat and she was already in trouble. At least he could have dropped the seat on his bike and given it to her, then rode hers down on the flat.
Old 08-22-23, 06:43 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 448 Posts
No. I don't carry anything aside from my wheel removing tool 90% of the time. For the remaining 10%, I only carry 1 TPU tube and a CO2 cartridge for longer rides (Anything longer than 3 hours basically or if I am not close to my house).

I am aware of the consequences of not carrying anything. It's a calculated risk I take. I don't expect others to provide me with tubes, levers and a pump, but I do rely on my girlfriend to come pick me up if that happens since I never ride very far from my place.

It's very kind of you though to think about others.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-22-23 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-22-23, 06:50 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,274 Posts
I've got a pack that I use when offroad riding that splits time between a 26 and 29er so I keep one of each. Not meant for a save but they have been used by fellow riders.
Old 08-22-23, 12:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,142 Times in 1,998 Posts
I dont have much room to carry extra stuff that wouldn't be a good fit for my potential needs.
With that said, if my patch/plug kit is a suitable solution for someone that I happen to see broke down along the way, I'll assist.

Lastly, I've had in the past stopped to help someone with a flat & the attitude that they gave me when my tube wouldn't fit, was a kick in my face. It's those types that make me really think twice helping out a cycling stranger in need.
Old 08-22-23, 12:15 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
If I'm riding alone, then I'm looking at one tube, glueless patches, two tire levers, and a CO2 canister in my saddle bag. No room for spare tubes, really.

If riding with a group, the CO2 canister will often be supplemented by my Topeak Road Morph (if I'm riding the bike that has the mount). Hoping others at least brought a spare tube.

If I come across someone else on the road, I'm happy to offer a patch or the use of the Road Morph (or other tools). Could offer the cell phone, too (if I have service).
Old 08-22-23, 12:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I met my ex wife when she had a flat and I patched it for her.
I can see why you'd be hesitant to help fix flats after that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-22-23, 12:56 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 182 Posts
I know from my days off having no money that I can make tubes work in several different sizes. 5 of my 8 bikes have Topeak quick track racks. I carry a 700c tube,presta valve stem and an adapter for presta to Schrader .tire levers , patches 2 CO2 cartridge a small crank Bros pump and multi-tool couple different quick links small adjustable wrench and small first aid kit in a Topeak trunk bag. With the exception of adjusting a seat or handlebars I have not to work on one of my bikes out riding for a long time. I have helped others several times. The bikes that don't have Topeak racks my Surly Steamroller has a 15 mm wrench that I cut the open end off, correct tube, small multi-tool patches CO2 inflator and cartridge in a saddle bag and a small frame mounted pump . My Gravity 29 plus has saddle bag with multi-tool, patch kit and a bigger frame mounted pump since I only run 20 psi my old specialized Hardrock has saddle bag with multi-tool, patch kit ,15mm stubby wrench , CO2 inflator and cartridge and a small pump on the frame . The multi-tools carried in the saddle bags have tire levers.
Edit : I didn't see this was road bike I'm an old fat guy so I'm not into Minimalist and go fast. Nothing wrong with that just not my thing. I've given road bikers CO2 cartridges a couple of times. I just search new post

Last edited by plumberroy; 08-22-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-22-23, 03:30 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 408 Posts
No, I do carry glueless patches and duct tape on longer or organized rides though. I also have tools in the car, it's amazing how many folks I see walking bikes when running errands and driving around
Old 08-22-23, 03:42 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 278 Posts
I have enough stuff in my get home bag. No room for extras on the off chance I might encounter someone who could use the extra tube in some size other than mine. I have never encountered a rider with a flat who was not in the process of dealing with it. I did once turn my SUV around and gave a guy and his bike a ride to his house after a mechanical.
Old 08-22-23, 04:05 PM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 23 Posts
In my saddle bag, I always carry tire levers, a tube, a patch kit, a set of allen wrenches, and a towelette. It is hard to say whether I would give someone my new tube for two reasons. What if I have a blowout? And, tubes are now $12. But I would be more than happy to patch someone's tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.