Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is chainbrite (Park Tool CB-4) bad for chrome?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-23, 10:27 PM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts

I am restoring a very nice bike with chrome lugs. The bike is very dirty and has probably sat for 30 years. The lugs looked a bit pitted but not much more than surface blemishes.

I had been using a water and dawn mixture to clean it up, but there was some caked on grease on the bb shell. I rubbed a little Park chain cleaner/degreaser (cb-4 chainbrite) to help soften the caked on grease, and it did absolute wonders for the chrome in the bb shell. It was wild. Almost like it's some crazy liquid polish.

My question is: is there any reason I can't clean the lugs with this cb-4? Is it harmful to chrome? Park says it is biodegradable, plant based degreaser, safe on aluminum, plastic, and carbon, but makes no mention of chrome or steel.

Pictures below of the BB after cb-4 was applied, and a before photo to show what it looked like before.

Last edited by J_Climacus; 10-09-23 at 06:43 AM.
Likes For J_Climacus:
Old 10-08-23, 10:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,654 Times in 3,294 Posts
Interesting bike. Windsor?
Old 10-08-23, 11:02 PM
soyabean

Liked 436 Times in 287 Posts
Biodegradable doesn't make it mild.

I'd be more concerned if it had anything caustic like Brasso, which cleans by "etching".

I've never used chainbrite, but it may work similarly because a chain's wear and tear will really come from mileage, not a chemical.
Old 10-09-23, 02:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
Odds are it's very safe for chrome. But realistically, it wouldn't matter unless it were extremely corrosive.

That's because, whatever harm it MIGHT conceivably cause, it won't be there long enough.

That's true for all solvents and cleaners. Leave them on only long enough to do their jobs, then wipe of rinse them off.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-09-23, 06:32 AM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Interesting bike. Windsor?
Rene herse. Probably the coolest bike I'll ever own.
Likes For J_Climacus:
Old 10-09-23, 09:58 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Liked 331 Times in 195 Posts
Pretty frame!

The material data sheet is available here:
https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/..._SDS_en-NA.pdf

It lists 2-Propanol, 1-(2-butoxy-1-methylethoxy)- 2 as the active ingredients. I'll leave it to any resident chemist to delve into what those many be and what plant they come from.