Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Get off the road, fool!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Get off the road, fool!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-05, 08:21 PM
cantdrv55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That was the advice I got from my fellow auto enthusiasts when I started a thread on a car BBS about sharing the road with cyclists. I can't believe how many thought bikes are to be ridden on the sidewalk! Most are fed up with cyclists riding in a cluster blocking traffic and want us off the road, period. I guess I can't blame them for getting pissed if their local club rides like that often but the club I belong to only do so on lonely country roads. And, we all yell CAR BACK then try move to the side single file.

I told a story about how a car tried to push my wife and I off the street when we were on the left lane waiting for the left turn light to turn green. The old guy driving was in a Cadillac and kept inching up almost touching my rear wheel and when we got the green light, we turned left but stayed as close to the right as possible. The old guy peeled out, yelling something and flipped us off. I thought for sure my fellow auto enthusiasts would side with me and be very understanding. Man, was I wrong.

Folks, watch yourselves out there. Not only do they make fun of us in our spandex, they want to run us over too.
Old 08-06-05, 08:25 PM
Toxanadu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just curious, what kind of car bbs?
Old 08-06-05, 08:33 PM
cantdrv55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Porsche. Before anyone begins spouting off about Porsche owners, I just have to tell you that most of us do not fit the stereotype. The guys and gals I hang with are pretty cool and down to earth. Just really serious about their cars and driving
Old 08-06-05, 08:36 PM
No Exit

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
er... its not just against cyclists. I ride a motorcycle and drive a truck as well... people will try to own the road no matter what you're in or on. It's mostly ignorance, they dont stop to think that maybe EVERYONE'S taxes go to pay for these roads, not just theirs.
Old 08-06-05, 08:40 PM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Porsche driver pass me and my six year old daughter today more carefully than anyone. Porsche drivers don't need nearly as much of the road - except for the portly and poorly named Cayanne - and they are generally happy to share the road in my experience. Porsche actually sold bikes for a number of years. Oh yeah, I own one too that likes bikes 'cause it shares a garage with a bunch of 'em.

Which BB by the way so I can go play?
Old 08-06-05, 08:52 PM
cantdrv55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wannaride
Which BB by the way so I can go play?
Go to www.pelicanparts.com. Great technical articles and people.
Old 08-06-05, 09:13 PM
glassman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there are always going to be jerks out there. On my evening ride, a redneck passes me really close, maybe 2 feet and blows the horn as he does so and yells. I am sure he was proud of himself. I am sure the guy who gave you the advice thought he was a genuis too.
Old 08-06-05, 09:37 PM
skelly
anarchy burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't understand where the animosity towards bikers comes from?

I don't feel safe at all where I live since it seems like most of the drivers are either 16 year olds going 80mph, or 80 year olds who can't even see over the dashboard let alone stay in a lane. I honestly feel more safe riding in the flow of city traffic, it's more predictable.
Old 08-06-05, 09:49 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skelly
In a nutshell: They're paying massive prices for gasoline to continue using their vehicle, you are not. You are the enemy because of that. Its the always look to blame others for your misery mentality.
Old 08-06-05, 10:08 PM
boyRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skelly

I don't feel safe at all where I live since it seems like most of the drivers are either 16 year olds going 80mph, or 80 year olds who can't even see over the dashboard let alone stay in a lane. I honestly feel more safe riding in the flow of city traffic, it's more predictable.
You're slower. They're faster. Apparently they have somewhere very important to go to that they can't be held up at all... funny thing though, they have no problem waiting for red lights.
Old 08-06-05, 10:15 PM
skelly
anarchy burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boyRacer
funny thing though, they have no problem waiting for red lights.
Sometimes they have problems with those, too.
Old 08-06-05, 10:34 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Get off the road, fool!"

Sounds like Mr. T was giving the advice!
Old 08-06-05, 10:53 PM
Booger

Bikes: KHS Flite 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They come in all shapes and sizes. I once generalized roadies as arrogant, annoying yuppie types. People on bikes are easy prey for the generally disgruntled.

Exhibit A: Todd and Margo.
Old 08-06-05, 11:55 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Nice to know that you can be hated at any time anywhere by anybody for doing something as simple as riding your bike.
Old 08-07-05, 06:51 AM
matamoris
Some Guy

Bikes: '05 Cannondale R700, '93 Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Christmas Vacation!
Old 08-07-05, 07:02 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been engaged in similar discussions in places as innocuous as band forums, and the majority reaction always seems to be..."get off the road."
Old 08-07-05, 07:09 AM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people who exercise regularly understand and are very accommodating. I've found that a lot of the people who honk and yell probably get winded on the walk from their vehicle to their house. It must really suck to go through life like that only to die young from congestive heart failure. You guys should have more sympathy for the dopey bastards.
Old 08-07-05, 08:10 AM
jamiegoesbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've asked around, and it seems like most people get really mad about the big groups that won't get over to the right a bit. Of course, having to slow down in any manner makes drivers mad.

Where I live right now is odd. The country roads are normally empty but they have high speeds. I do a big loop and a large part of it doesn't have a shoulder, so I'm in the lane, and cars love to pass by as close and as fast as they can, which is annoying to me just because 90% of the time there is no one in sight, so they could have taken the entire lane.

But it's not just bikes. I drive a car too, and drivers are constantly trying to run me off the road! They get really close and act like I should speed up past the limit or they play chicken merging on the highway. Here's the most dangerous example I've seen recently. There is a two-lane, two-way road that is basically a residential road through neighborhoods. It's got enough traffic that it's sort of impossible to see in front of the car that's in front of you. It's one of those roads that you basically deal with driving however slow everyone else is. The speed limit is 40, so I normally drive that speed or slightly slower (I think that speed is too fast for a neighborhood) when traffic is light because there are a lot of casual bike riders, skateboarders, rollerbladers, walkers, etc. I'm weird, so everyone else drives probably 45 or 50. Anyway, twice this week I got tailed and then passed on this road. One driver even yelled something as he went by. I was ticked because I was just going the speed the people ahead were going (who he got stuck behind putting him 20 feet ahead of me). There easily could have been a cyclist or car in the lane when they passed.

I hate driving my car anymore because I feel like I'm going into a destruction derby.
Old 08-07-05, 08:43 AM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I never understood why people get upset over a cyclist slowing them down a little. Usually, once they pass you, they find themselves stuck behind other traffic going at a slower speed. Its not like your presence will make much of a difference in their travel time. Perhaps, its just the stress from driving that makes these people so irritable.
Old 08-07-05, 08:55 AM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is our society at work, everyone doing their own thing and don't get in the way or there will be hell to pay. Just walking down a busy sidewalk can be a interesting trip with some people on your side of the walk refusing to yield.
Old 08-07-05, 10:30 AM
skelly
anarchy burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabloink
Usually, once they pass you, they find themselves stuck behind other traffic going at a slower speed. Its not like your presence will make much of a difference in their travel time. Perhaps, its just the stress from driving that makes these people so irritable.
You mean like when they speed past you only to have you catch up to them at the next red light, repeating this exchange block after block? haha.

I'm pretty sure the stress from driving is a big factor. My job is far right now so I have to drive about an hour each way, every day. The commute is more stressful/tiring than my whole day at work.
Old 08-07-05, 12:05 PM
ZappCatt
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you are driving on a 40 mph street and you get stuck behind a driver going 20 mph how do you feel? I usually am frustrated that they are not going the speed limit.

Why are you so surprised that people get frustrated behind a bike going 20 mph(if that...) on a 40 mph road?
Old 08-07-05, 12:13 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZappCatt
When you are driving on a 40 mph street and you get stuck behind a driver going 20 mph how do you feel? I usually am frustrated that they are not going the speed limit.

Why are you so surprised that people get frustrated behind a bike going 20 mph(if that...) on a 40 mph road?

Yes that is true, but some times even if they aren't being slowed down cagers still feel the need to be hostile towards cyclists.

Elvish
Old 08-07-05, 12:17 PM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZappCatt

I don't think idiots suprise anyone, they just annoy everyone.

The difference in your example is most likely a driver going 20 in a 40 has the capability of going 40 and won't. Do you get frustrated when you're behind a snow plow, or a trash truck, or a tractor? People share the road with all sorts of things that go slower without yelling obscenities, honking, and trying to run them off the road. They shouldn't behave any differently with someone on a bike unless they are a mouth-breathing, simian bastid.
Old 08-07-05, 12:20 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Santaria
In a nutshell: They're paying massive prices for gasoline to continue using their vehicle, you are not. You are the enemy because of that. Its the always look to blame others for your misery mentality.
Get out of that shell and smell the coffee. That's NOT even close. The answer is that cyclists are generally slower than a motorized vehicle. We're holding them back. If I were driving (out of the city) on a nice 45MPH two lane blacktop (one lane in each direction) and come up on a handful of cyclists that are not riding single file, I would be pretty pissed that they're holding me up.

I don't think these feelings aren't aimed at cyclists alone. Nowadays, there are more & more little scooters running around with 50 - 100cc motors. I bet those guys get the same crap. Wouldn't you be pissed off if you're driving at 40MPH and you come up to some smuck who's driving his/her car at 20MPH? Wouldn't you want to PASS him/her?

The hate has nothing to do with "you're not paying for gas like me, you shouldn't be on the road".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.