Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearings for SHIMANO DURA ACE WH-9000-C50-TUB Wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 06:53 AM
AvantGarden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I bought used SHIMANO DURA ACE WH-9000-C50-TU. At least... I think they are SHIMANO DURA ACE WH-9000-C50-TU because they looks the same as these seen on google and they are fully carbon made tubulars.
However, on the wheel itself I see the tagging :
Front : Dura Ace WH-9000 LC SP-13
Rear : Dura Ace WH-9000 KF SP-13
The wheels do not turn as smoothly as I think they should and the springs are rusty.

Can anybody (@gfk_velo :-)...) provide relevant part numbers for :
1. Front wheel bearings (preferably ceramic ?).
1. Rear wheel bearings (preferably ceramic ?).
3. Axle springs

Thanks

Last edited by AvantGarden; 11-01-23 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,020 Times in 3,454 Posts
See if one of these EV's (exploded views) matches what you have.

You'll probably find that the part numbers are the same for most of the bearings and sets with retainers. But I didn't look to compare.

https://si.shimano.com/en/manual/sea..._model=wh-9000

Other info on Shimano stuff can be found here... https://si.shimano.com/en/#/

Springs? In the free hub or the quick release?
Old 11-01-23, 08:45 AM
AvantGarden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks iride01
The following EVs have all the parts I need...

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/ev/WH...TU-F-3343A.pdf
https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/ev/WH...TU-R-3344A.pdf

Last edited by AvantGarden; 11-01-23 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 09:11 AM
KerryIrons

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by AvantGarden
Hi,
I bought used SHIMANO DURA ACE WH-9000-C50-TU. At least... I think they are SHIMANO DURA ACE WH-9000-C50-TU because they looks the same as these seen on google and they are fully carbon made tubulars.
The wheels do not turn as smoothly as I think they should and the springs are rusty.

3. Axle springs
Just for your reference, ceramic bearings are appropriate in very high speed, high temperature, and acidic environments. None of that applies to bicycles. Ceramic bearings on bicycles are marketing hype, not performance improvement. Once the bearings are properly lubricated and adjusted, that is as good as the hubs will get unless there is actual damage.

When you reference "axle springs" are you talking about the centering springs on quick release axles?
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-01-23, 09:34 AM
AvantGarden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Just for your reference, ceramic bearings are appropriate in very high speed, high temperature, and acidic environments. None of that applies to bicycles. Ceramic bearings on bicycles are marketing hype, not performance improvement. Once the bearings are properly lubricated and adjusted, that is as good as the hubs will get unless there is actual damage.

When you reference "axle springs" are you talking about the centering springs on quick release axles?
I am referring to the Volute Springs.

The EVs are a bit confusing...

Front wheel :

Part #3 Y23321000. Volute Spring. Does the part number include 2 springs for both sides ?

Part #6 Y4BN98030. Ball Retainer (5/32"). Does the part number include 2 bearing sets for both sides ? Does the "retainer" include the balls ?

Rear Wheel :

Part #3 Y23321000. Volute Spring. Does the part number include 2 springs for both sides ?

Part #6 Y00091270 "Stainless Ball (3/16") 22 pcs". The EV itself says "13 pcs" which does not correlate to the 22 pcs of the part#. I would expect 26...

Part #7 Y25R98080 Ball Retainer (3/16") Do I need this ? Do they get worn out ?

Last edited by AvantGarden; 11-04-23 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 09:50 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Liked 3,107 Times in 1,875 Posts
Ceramic bearings are far smoother. And far lighter than steel bearings. And don't rust.

I'll take 'em, no matter the "hype."
Old 11-01-23, 09:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,003 Times in 2,381 Posts
As to the springs- most all shops have a misc. parts box where they put bits that come off repairs but could still be used. QR springs are one of these items. If fact no springs are even needed, they are much like a threadless headset top cap. Once the QR (headset bearing adjustment) is set the springs (or top cap) are just going along for the ride while adding zilch to the system. Andy
Old 11-01-23, 10:20 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
I am referring to the Volute Springs.

The EVs are a bit confusing...

Front wheel :

If you look up that part # it shows one spring

Part #6 Y4BN98030. Does the part number include 2 bearing sets for both sides ? Does the "retainer" include the balls ?
Again look up the part # and it's one unit. All the ones on Ebay show the balls included.

Rear Wheel :

See above

Part #6 Y00091270 "Stainless Ball (3/16") 22 pcs". The EV itself says "13 pcs" which does not correlate to the 22 pcs of the part#. I would expect 26...
There is likely 9 balls in the retainer on the other side so 22. Or it's a typo as we see #11 says "freewheel body" when it's a freehub

Part #7 Y25R98080 Ball Retainer (3/16") Do I need this ? Do they get worn out ?
You don't "need" a retainer at all and most wheels are loose balls. In fact many people get rid of it and go to loose balls allowing more balls to be used.
You can pop out the old balls from the retainer and fill it with new ones.
See Above

Last edited by dedhed; 11-01-23 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 10:28 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Liked 492 Times in 287 Posts
Shimano produces high quality hubs. Holds true for the bearings, as well.
From my experience, I highly doubt rust exists, unless someone totally thrashed these.
Most likely, some grit got in there and these require a simple rebuild.
Old 11-01-23, 11:23 AM
Koyote

Liked 11,461 Times in 4,891 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Ceramic bearings are far smoother. And far lighter than steel bearings. And don't rust.

I guess someone's gotta believe the marketers...
Old 11-01-23, 11:29 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
I guess someone's gotta believe the marketers...
I guess someone has to believe steel is better in every instance.

But being lighter and smoother than steel isn't really "hype." They're more like...you know...facts. Pesky, no doubt.

Last edited by smd4; 11-01-23 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 11:56 AM
Koyote

I guess someone has to believe steel is better in every instance.
If you're referring to me, you are incorrect. I think that ceramic bearings are surely a better choice for high-speed (e.g., 10,000 rpm) applications in relatively clean environments.

​​​​​​
But being lighter and smoother than steel isn't really "hype." They're more like...you know...facts.
They're lighter by around 5 grams per wheel, depending on the specific bearings. So, yes, that's a fact. But once you pack all the bearings in grease, they're not smoother than steel. Oh, and they might actually be less durable than steel bearings, and they might also damage steel races. A little reading.

Here's a challenge: find a source, other than a company that sells ceramic bearings, that affirms their usefulness in bicycle parts.
Old 11-01-23, 12:05 PM
smd4

If you're referring to me, you are incorrect. I think that ceramic bearings are surely a better choice for high-speed (e.g., 10,000 rpm) applications in relatively clean environments.

​​​​​​

They're lighter by around 5 grams per wheel, depending on the specific bearings. So, yes, that's a fact. But once you pack all the bearings in grease, they're not smoother than steel. Oh, and they might actually be less durable than steel bearings, and they might also damage steel races. A little reading.

Here's a challenge: find a source, other than a company that sells ceramic bearings, that affirms their usefulness in bicycle parts.
I didn't read any company's marketing materials. Ten grams is ten grams. Adding grease doesn't make ceramic bearings rougher than steel. And by the time I "dent" my races using ceramic bearings, my bike will likely be in the landfill somewhere.

Not worries. Will continue to run them to no appreciable detriment. Have fun.
Old 11-01-23, 12:17 PM
Koyote

I didn't read any company's marketing materials. Ten grams is ten grams. Adding grease doesn't make ceramic bearings rougher than steel. And by the time I "dent" my races using ceramic bearings, my bike will likely be in the landfill somewhere.

Not worries. Will continue to run them to no appreciable detriment. Have fun.
It seems weird to worry about ten grams when you're on an old steel-framed bike...If weight is a concern, you might want to put your money toward a frame that's a few pounds lighter.

And I never claimed that adding grease would make ceramic bearings "rougher" than steel...Rather, it eliminates any (theoretical or measurable) advantage of ceramic bearings in the friction measurements, as explained by an authority in the linked article that you didn't read.

Ceramic bearings won't necessarily create "appreciable detriment" on a bike; they're just pointless, like tits on a bull.
Old 11-01-23, 12:39 PM
smd4

It seems weird to worry about ten grams when you're on an old steel-framed bike...If weight is a concern, you might want to put your money toward a frame that's a few pounds lighter.
I could buy a unicycle that is many pounds lighter. You don't get the point. Typical.

The point is making MY CUERRENT BIKE as light as I CAN MAKE IT. Simply, really. For most people.

And I never claimed that adding grease would make ceramic bearings "rougher" than steel...Rather, it eliminates any (theoretical or measurable) advantage of ceramic bearings in the friction measurements, as explained by an authority in the linked article that you didn't read.
I read it. Shocking that I'm not convinced by one article. I also read where you stated, "once you pack all the bearings in grease, they're not smoother than steel," which obviously implies that they become less smooth than steel once greased. Which isn't true. Whether or not they have grease does not affect their smoothness or roundness, which is inherent in the material itself.

Ceramic bearings won't necessarily create "appreciable detriment" on a bike; they're just pointless, like tits on a bull.
Nice Glory reference.
Old 11-01-23, 12:56 PM
Koyote

Nice Glory reference.
You mean the movie? Never saw it. "Useless as tits on a bull" is a pretty old and common simile.
Old 11-01-23, 01:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
Every has to figure out their own cost/benefit ratio of grams to dollars
Old 11-01-23, 02:37 PM
Dave Mayer

Liked 493 Times in 287 Posts
Buy yourself a package of the same-size Grade 25 steel balls. Stainless not required. If the inside of your hubs is such a watery mess that you need rust-resistant balls, then you have much bigger problems. Such as using a pressure washer to clean your bike, or driving at highway speeds in a rainstorm with the bike on a rack.

Pop the old balls out of the plastic retainer and press in the new ones.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 11-03-23, 10:00 AM
KerryIrons

Liked 672 Times in 377 Posts

If your steel ball bearings are rusting, then there is something seriously wrong with your maintenance procedures. Ceramic bearings will save maybe 10 grams per hub, which is meaningless. Ceramic bearings are "smoother" than steel bearings only if they are higher grade than the steel bearings. You clearly have bought the hype.
Old 11-03-23, 10:21 AM
smd4

If your steel ball bearings are rusting, then there is something seriously wrong with your maintenance procedures. Ceramic bearings will save maybe 10 grams per hub, which is meaningless. Ceramic bearings are "smoother" than steel bearings only if they are higher grade than the steel bearings. You clearly have bought the hype.
Then my bike is 20 grams lighter than a similarly-spec'ed bike. Whether you like it or not, it all adds up. And I didn't say my bearing were rusting. Nothing on my bike is ever rusty.
Old 11-03-23, 01:45 PM
davidad

Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
[QUOTE=AvantGarden;23058595]Hi,

3. Axle springs

Thanks[/
Ceramics are a waste of money for our use. You can replace the balls in the retainers if they show excessive wear. If the balls have their factory finish, they can be reused.
Old 11-03-23, 02:09 PM
AvantGarden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anybody recommend an online shop in Europe that has a large stock of Shimano part numbers and good pricing ?
Old 11-03-23, 02:27 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by davidad
Ceramics are a waste of money for our use. You can replace the balls in the retainers if they show excessive wear. If the balls have their factory finish, they can be reused.
A waste for you, perhaps. Do the 9000 series hubs use retainers??
Old 11-03-23, 02:27 PM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,125 Times in 777 Posts
Can anybody recommend an online shop in Europe that has a large stock of Shimano part numbers and good pricing ?
Where are you located? I believe Shimano has different agreements with sellers doing business outside different countries and/or the EU.
Old 11-03-23, 02:30 PM
AvantGarden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Where are you located? I believe Shimano has different agreements with sellers doing business outside different countries and/or the EU.
In my country the importer has very poor stock so I need to rely on shops in Europe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.