Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help find brake calipers with more clearance (top)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-23, 11:12 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've got an older specialized roubaix elite and trying to fit 28c tires on her... up front there is plenty of room but out back I found a little clearance issue we have plenty of clearance to the brake arch with the sram red calipers it hits the arch of the calipers.

does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions of calipers that might clear?

thanks
Mark

Old 11-13-23, 03:13 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Liked 1,473 Times in 839 Posts
This subject come up frequently. You can try putting a washer, or two, on the mounting bolt, placed in between caliper and the bridge. I have done that with success on two bikes.
Old 11-13-23, 03:45 AM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
I had the same problem with a set of SRAM Force calipers - they're not great for height clearance.

I solved it by using Ultegra calipers. 6700/6800/8000 all have better clearance than the SRAM brakes. Or obviously 105 series would be the same as Ultegra, as an alternative.
Old 11-13-23, 06:42 AM
seypat

Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
What was SRAM selling to go on touring bikes at the time? Whatever it was is worth a shot.
Old 11-13-23, 10:01 AM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by delbiker1
This subject come up frequently. You can try putting a washer, or two, on the mounting bolt, placed in between caliper and the bridge. I have done that with success on two bikes.
good idea... I'll see if that does the trick... would be nice... I read a little bit on adjustment to get a little more clearance out of them as well so maybe between the two? thanks.

Originally Posted by Groasters
I had the same problem with a set of SRAM Force calipers - they're not great for height clearance.

I solved it by using Ultegra calipers. 6700/6800/8000 all have better clearance than the SRAM brakes. Or obviously 105 series would be the same as Ultegra, as an alternative.
when I thought about it at the exact terms I needed I had a number of folks say basically the same thing... time to stop at some older bikeshops and see if they have some things in the back room I can test lol.

thanks guys... getting this guy ready for a father/son ride of the BP ms150... going to be fun... even if I haven't ridden in 8 or so years haha

Mark
Likes For donalson:
Old 11-13-23, 10:23 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,249 Times in 2,842 Posts
I would suggest Cane Creek eeBrakes because they are fantastic in so many ways but they are a pricey upgrade however they clear 28s just fine and probably the newer ones could clear a little more.