Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubes on Gravel bikes??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tubes on Gravel bikes??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 01:05 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Tubes on Gravel bikes??

Is anyone still riding with tubes on their gravel bike? Since jumping into gravel riding and bikepacking several years ago, I've ridden only tubeless. However, I thought it would be a good thing to clean out all the old Stans sealant and add new. Now, I cannot get the tire to seat properly, and I've tried everything I know. It's crazy. Instead of continuing to fight it, I thought I could just install tubes, since the TWI show lots of tread still on the tire. Thus, I'm curious; is anyone riding their gravel bikes with tubes?
Old 11-16-23, 01:08 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Liked 493 Times in 339 Posts
Yes, while I also like tubeless, I've gone back to tubes (TPU) because they're light/supple and I tend to switch out tires often so tubes are less messy.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 11-16-23, 01:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,001 Times in 2,379 Posts
Of course there are. Perhaps we just don't feel the need to post about it Andy
Old 11-16-23, 01:26 PM
choddo

Liked 480 Times in 357 Posts
What are you using to inflate them ?
Old 11-16-23, 01:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
I have 2 mt. bikes that are tubeless, yet kept the gravel and road bikes tubed. I just find tubes easier to deal with, I've been riding 35 years and am pretty proficient at changing a flat, as well I rarely get flats.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-16-23, 01:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,001 Times in 2,379 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
What are you using to inflate them ?
An air pump when at home. A frame pump and a CO2 when on the ride. Andy
Old 11-16-23, 02:10 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I have 2 mt. bikes that are tubeless, yet kept the gravel and road bikes tubed. I just find tubes easier to deal with, I've been riding 35 years and am pretty proficient at changing a flat, as well I rarely get flats.
the latter matters the most really.
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-16-23, 04:13 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
A little soapy water around the bead will help the tire to fully seat. Also an air compressor or a floor pump that can introduce a lot of air at one time can help.
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-16-23, 04:24 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
An air pump when at home. A frame pump and a CO2 when on the ride. Andy
What’s an air pump? Like an air line on a compressor?

edit: Sorry just realised I didn’t quote the OP originally. That’s who I meant to ask.
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-16-23, 04:25 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by frdfandc
A little soapy water around the bead will help the tire to fully seat. Also an air compressor or a floor pump that can introduce a lot of air at one time can help.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was going to suggest. A bit of soap and a track pump with a reservoir (or a compressor) usually do the trick.
Likes For choddo:
Old 11-16-23, 04:43 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,605 Times in 1,250 Posts
Gravel and tubes works for me.
Never had a flat on gravel,either.
Old 11-16-23, 05:00 PM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Liked 91 Times in 37 Posts
also cross posted in the thread "Do tires (tubeless) not hold air as well as they age?"

i've heard and read this to be a problem with tubeless. the handful of my friends who have at least one bike tubeless wheelset have discussed the pros and cons. one con being : if they have to remove the tire for some reason - they can't get the tire to seal again well enough and end up tossing the tire and having to buy a new one . seems like one of the bigger potential downside to tubeless
Likes For brooklyn_bike:
Old 11-16-23, 05:02 PM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Liked 91 Times in 37 Posts
OP describes same problem you're having : https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-they-age.html

Just curious - I recently swapped in some used tires I had that still had some life left in the tread on my gravel bike. Same rims the tires were originally on. I'm used to tubeless tires going through phases where they seem to fluctuate in how well they maintain pressure when new (at least this has been my experience) as the sealant does its thing, but these tires just aren't settling back in and stabilizing. I've gone over them and I don't think there's any leaks at the valve stems, and the bead is seated all the way round. I don't see sealant coming out anywhere. I've put in a double dose of sealant too. Could it be that older rubber gets more porous as it's more dried out? These have been sitting in a hot garage for the better part of a year.
Likes For brooklyn_bike:
Old 11-16-23, 06:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Having ridden for 4 years on tubeless mt. bikes, I certainly see the advantages for a gravel riding situation. I run much less air on my mt. bikes, around 15-20 psi and the ride is terrific. I’m just too lazy to bother setting up my gravel wheels for tubeless.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-16-23, 06:56 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Until the sealant creates a thick enough layer on the inside of the tire, air will leak out. Takes several days of riding to get the sealant evenly distributed around the inside of the tire/rim. As long as everything is mounted up properly, and the right amount of sealant used, the tire will eventually seal. Been tubeless on my MTB for years. Some tires leak more than others. Especially old used tires.
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-16-23, 07:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,054 Times in 1,646 Posts
Jan Heine of Rene Herse fame or infamy often uses tubes depending here is a pretty good write up on tubelss https://www.renehersecycles.com/tubeless-faq/

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-17-23, 10:35 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
I use an air compressor with a presta valve air guage attachment.