Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike-fitting mystery

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike-fitting mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 10:30 PM
Jenifer
Rides a red bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike-fitting mystery

I'm looking to buy a bike -- my first "real" road bike, though I have several thousand miles' experience on my current 17-year-old bike -- and I'm trying to understand something about bike geometry and fit.

The first new bike I tried was a Specialized Dolce Comp, 51 cm. I loved it! It fit well and was incredibly fun to ride, but it was the first; any modern road bike would have been an eye-opener. Subsequent bikes at that shop did not feel as good.

But the owner of my local LBS wanted me to try some of the bikes he had. A Schwinn Fast Track Comp, XS, seemed like it would fit. I prefer Specialized to Schwinn based on personal experience, but to humor him, I tried it on the trainer. Did not like it. He said it looked like it fit, but no matter how we adjusted it -- seat, stem, handlebars -- it didn't feel right. My upper body felt too stretched out. (Yet on each upstroke, it felt like my diaphragm was being compressed too much, which can't be good for breathing.)

So we looked up the specs. In almost every relevant measurement, the Schwinn is smaller! TT length is shorter, and of a comparable angle. Why did I feel more stretched out? Is my brain playing tricks on me because I'd rather have the Dolce? If I get the Dolce, and find out that I only thought it fit, that's an $1800 mistake.

This frame-fitting thing feels like black magic. I know, I know -- go with the one that feels best. But our minds can fool us when we're already biased towards a particular outcome, so I'm suspicious of my own judgment... Call me a geek, but I want to be able to explain this.
Old 08-07-05, 10:36 PM
SadieKate
Hills, more hills please!

Bikes: Spectrum, Lippy, Litespeed, Titus, Kelly, Marin, Bob Jackson, Mercian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious. Did you actually measure the reach to the hoods? The bars and the brake hoods could make the reach longer also. Or having more of a drop from the seat to the hoods will effectly lengthen the reach. And then sometimes, it just doesn't feel right so it isn't right.

Did you actually get the ride each bike or just use it on the trainer?
Old 08-07-05, 10:48 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no need to rush into it...go back and ride it on the road. find a hill close by and take them up and down. be sure to put it through the paces...shifting, braking, spining, hard accelleration, etc. put your hands on the tops, hoods and drops and see how it feels.
Old 08-07-05, 11:31 PM
AnthonyG

Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Sounds to me like the Schwinn had longer cranks on it than the Specialized and this makes a huge difference to comfort and feel. Or a different seat tube angle (big can of worms here.).

Here are my favorite references on bike fit, https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html and https://www.cranklength.info/ (read the start of the first article and check your inside leg measurement in the crank length calculator)

Also a 1 degree difference in seat tube angle makes a big difference.

To get good fit your first need to find your correct crank arm length, then you need to set your saddle so you have KOPS as a starting point and then you need to see where your reach naturally falls.

This works well for custom frame building but with factory bikes there are all sorts of compromises.

Anyway please read the references so it makes more sense. Feel free to ask more questions after reading the articles.

Regards, Anthony
Old 08-08-05, 03:04 AM
MichaelW

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Read
www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

When comparing bikes, I avoid the problems of different frame angles by using [x,y] coordinates, with the origin [0,0] at the bottom bracket.
Two bikes may have identical top tubes, but one may have a slacker seat-tube (ie more length behind the BB, less ahead). When you slide your saddle to the correct position relative to your pedals, the slacker angle frame now has a shorter reach!

If you have been riding for a long time, and know what your riding position is, make the bike fit you, not the other way around.
Old 08-08-05, 03:28 AM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good bike fitter is like finding a good MD..........invaluable.
Old 08-08-05, 05:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 645 Times in 366 Posts
Check out the difference in handlebar height. To me the drop from the saddle to the handlebar is a key dimension and lots of people completely overlook it. The easiest way to measure is to measure from the handlebar and from the saddle to the floor and take the difference. If the Schwinn has a shorter head tube, the handlebar might be significantly lower. That would explain your breathing issue.
Old 08-08-05, 05:34 AM
Stjtoday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your lbs is not taking full measurements of your body and determining your needs in a frame, I would find a new lbs.
Old 08-08-05, 05:50 AM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that the sense of comfort on the bike is mainly subjective. There can't be precise rules predicting and guaranteeing how a particular bike will feel.

In my experience, if you like the feel of the bike right away, it will stay that way for a long time, and vice versa, uncomfortable bike will not become comfortable (disregarding getting used to it).

Who is pushing you? Get the one YOU really WANT.
Old 08-08-05, 08:53 AM
Jenifer
Rides a red bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Check out the difference in handlebar height. To me the drop from the saddle to the handlebar is a key dimension and lots of people completely overlook it. The easiest way to measure is to measure from the handlebar and from the saddle to the floor and take the difference. If the Schwinn has a shorter head tube, the handlebar might be significantly lower. That would explain your breathing issue.
It certainly would, and that's what I think is happening with the XS Schwinn frame -- it's actually too small. The seat is pretty far above the handlebars. I'll try one frame-size bigger and see if it helps.

Test-riding the Schwinn(s) will be possible this afternoon (it was raining last time I was in the shop), so I'll do that. On the other hand, I just test-rode the Specialized again at a different shop, and once again, I loved it. Felt like I was flying; couldn't wipe the grin off my face! I think I know what my choice will be...

Thanks for the bike-fitting pages everyone posted. Those have been helpful!
Old 08-08-05, 09:24 AM
H20.1

Bikes: Bianchi, Olmo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best source on Bike Fitting Ive found is a book put out by Greg LeMond back in the 80s. Some items are a little outdated but his guidelines on fit are outstanding. They are used by many professional fitters and developed by his French coach when he was racing with Peugeot.

Using his method and a few simple measurements you can fit yourself. And the best part is that it WORKS. He was a big name so any library should have a copy of the book.
I like Peter White's site too but the problem I have with his methods is that too much is done simply by feel. Using LeMonds book I was able to get a position on the bike that was more aerodynamic yet very very comfortable (two things I thought didnt go together well).