Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Popularity of stems with two separate clamps instead of single faceplate

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 10:37 AM
sysrq

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I guess they are starting to appear in order to avoid X pattern while tightening.
Can't remember if I tightened the faceplate last time using X pattern or not due to partially spacing out while doing mundane/repetitive tasks recently while also having to pay attention to other semi-related details (might be complacency).
Shame there aren't any markings indicating bolt tightening order on every faceplate as a reminder.
Old 11-28-23, 10:43 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Liked 1,257 Times in 724 Posts
Don't you tighten all bolts in a X pattern?
Even if only two bolts I tighten them evenly.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 11-28-23, 11:35 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Barry2
Don't you tighten all bolts in a X pattern?
Even if only two bolts I tighten them evenly.

Barry
As far as I can remember I tend to always tighten them in X pattern normally but sometimes get confused with repeating exact tightening order.

Last edited by sysrq; 11-28-23 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-28-23, 12:49 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
If it's a solid faceplate, I use the X pattern. For split clamps, I evenly snug down the bolts, one side at a time until the handlebar does rotate. Then use the X pattern to final torque all 4 bolts.
Old 11-28-23, 03:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,010 Times in 1,257 Posts
I overtightened a stem on a travel bike a while back, and stripped the aluminum stem. Got a single-set torque wrench while I was getting a new stem, so now I don't worry about over (or under) tightening.

IME, the two separate pieces was a bit easier to handle during installation and removal. Maybe it doesn't matter for removal (now where did that bolt go??), but trying to hold one stem, one bar, four bolts, and an Allen wrench with only two hands can be a challenge. Take two bolts away and it's nearly possible for humans.
Old 11-28-23, 11:27 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,576 Times in 1,091 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
IME, the two separate pieces was a bit easier to handle during installation and removal. Maybe it doesn't matter for removal (now where did that bolt go??), but trying to hold one stem, one bar, four bolts, and an Allen wrench with only two hands can be a challenge. Take two bolts away and it's nearly possible for humans.
You make it sound so hard!

Regardless of whether the face plate is one piece or two separate bars, all you have to do is to evenly tighten two bolts so that the face plate is barely holding the handlebar snug, adjust handlebar as desired, then evenly tighten the other two bolts until they are barely snug, then tighten all bolts half turn per bolt in an alternating pattern to specified torque.
Old 11-28-23, 11:42 PM
Kontact

Liked 1,845 Times in 1,195 Posts
You can tighten a 4 bolt plate in any order you want, as long as it is even geometrically and in tension. 2 piece plates are lighter, not easier.
Old 12-01-23, 09:30 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Kontact
You can tighten a 4 bolt plate in any order you want, as long as it is even geometrically and in tension. 2 piece plates are lighter, not easier.
The are some stems with markings indicating to tighten the upper bolts finger tight and then the lower ones up to specified torque.
Old 12-01-23, 10:34 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by sysrq
The are some stems with markings indicating to tighten the upper bolts finger tight and then the lower ones up to specified torque.
Yup. But those stems are designed to work like a one piece stem with the upper plate in contact with the stem body. Similar looking, but completely different design.
Old 12-02-23, 11:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,020 Times in 3,454 Posts
OP...Perhaps the manufacturer's feel that if you tighten it to what ever method or criteria they give you that it is satisfactory for use. You are imagining that perfection in tightening is quantifiably better for safety.
Old 12-02-23, 06:20 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Liked 333 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
First encountered this assembling my new mtn bike with a Race Face Turbine R stem. You torque the top two bolts closed, then the bottom two, which will have a gap (they dub it "overbite" faceplate). 5Nm all around.

Compared to other 4-bolt plates that should show even gaps everywhere, it's simpler to install and adjust, and probably harder to screw up. Mind, I first installed it without reading any documentation, following the Guy Rule, and did it the old way.
Old 12-02-23, 10:39 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Rick_D
probably harder to screw up.
I first installed it without reading any documentation, following the Guy Rule, and did it the old way.
And that's why it isn't harder to screw up.

I think this type is dumb.