Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I fix a kickstand that falls down while I'm riding?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-24, 05:30 PM
gravelocity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It just flops down instead of staying locked in the upright position. I of course can't ride with the stand scraping the ground, so for the time being I'm tying it in place with a bungee cord while riding.

I tried Googling it, but every single result is about loose kickstand brackets, which is a completely different thing than what I'm experiencing. My stand is built into the bike frame.

My bike is a 1980 Schwinn Cruiser.

Last edited by gravelocity; 05-16-24 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-16-24, 05:46 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 532 Posts
If the kickstand is bolted to the bike, just replace it. If it’s one of the Schwinns with the kickstand kind of integrated to the frame, like the below picture, you can take it apart and possibly repair or replace it, but dealing with those is trickier.

Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-16-24, 10:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,620 Posts
That kickstand works with a cam that has pockets for both positions, and a spring that allows it to push in and leave one and go to the other. They die in one of 2 ways.

Either the up position pocket wears, so the latch isn't reliable, or the spring breaks, so it's not pressing in hard enough. If you look in the back you'll see that the back end is kept home with the cross pin, that sits on the cam. Fixing it calls for pressing it in to expose the pin, which you push out allowing the kickstand to slide out. Unfortunately, the spring is strong enough that pushing the kickstand in takes considerable strength.

There is (was) a tool made for that job, and there's a good that an old time bike shop that used to be a Schwinn dealer will have the tool. Otherwise you might be able to lever it back using the chainstay as a fulcrum. As for finding the parts, I'll venture they're still being sold on ebay.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-16-24, 10:56 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 976 Posts
FBinNY You can also effect the same result with the box end of an appropriately sized combination wrench. It will work like the catch of a screen door mechanism against the tight bend of the kickstand allowing you to lever some weight on the spring. Once the pin unloads it simply drops out or can be removed with thumb & forefinger.

At the OP: Deep down inside the frame mount, the 3 lobed block is clocked. 2 positions for the index pin (kickstand up, kickstand down) and 3 positions to install the block. It is possible to get this wrong. If so, there may be nothing wrong. The "kickstand up" index may just be clocked wrong. Rotate the block and reinstall. If that doesn't work, the index pin in the kickstand may be worn. IIRC, it's a standard issue roll pin available at any Ace Hardware, McMaster Carr or McClendons. Home Depot/Lowe's are not hardware stores. But it is possibly you might get lucky if you have no better options. An actual hardware store is much more likely to have the roll pin you need.

Last edited by base2; 05-16-24 at 11:19 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-16-24, 11:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,620 Posts
WBITD, we had a mechanic who did this without tools. He'd brace the bike against a workbench, push the KS in with one hand and reach around for the pin with the other.

I never had that kind of hand strength, so I listened to Archimedes and used a lever and the chainstay.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-17-24, 06:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-18-24, 03:26 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
. As for finding the parts, I'll venture they're still being sold on ebay.
Note that there were different cams and kickstands to fit the many different Schwinn bikes. Fortunately the “Cruiser” models were quite common.

OP: it may be the grease inside has gotten gummy with age and is preventing the pin from seating in the cam properly. Once you have it apart, clean it up and inspect the pin retaining the spring. If it’s not obviously worn, grease the bejeezus out of it and reassemble.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills: