Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 Specialized Team Allez - David Tesch Built

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 01:42 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 176 Posts

My brother, who resides in Golden, discovered the '87 Tesch-Built Specialized Team Allez, S/N 064 in nearly new condition with its original owner in Boulder. He facilitated our transaction, and I purchased the bike sight unseen, relying solely on his detailed account of its pristine state. Along with the bike, I acquired the original, unused black Turbo saddle and the 1987 Specialized catalog. At that time, I was living and working in Europe, and after my brother brought the bike to his home, he took the following photographs and forwarded them to me.

Last night I asked my brother to re-send me the photos and I thought it might be a good idea to place them in an easily accessible location for future review. I am planning to obtain higher-resolution images of the catalog to include as well.

Feel encouraged to share photos of your Tesch Team Allez here. Let’s keep our focus on the Tesch-built Allez in this thread, please.

The initial photograph showcases the catalog page for the Team Allez. Notably, as previously mentioned in posting #53 by BF member 900ss of his
Team Allez S/N 001 - thread post located here, the bike in this image features a distinct color sequence on the top tube decal that differs from that on the later production models. One could speculate that this might be the prototype for the Tesch-built frames. The catalog photo depicts the decal colors in the order of red/pink, orange, and bright yellow from front to back, whereas the production bikes display a gradient from dark yellow to orange, culminating in red/pink. The downtube decal is also different, lacking the red pinstriping present on subsequent models. Additionally, the seatstay ‘S’ remains unpainted, in contrast to the red painted ‘S’ found on later versions.

Here is how the bike looked as found

Here’s the bike’s current appearance: I’ve restored a period-appropriate Turbo saddle, opting for white this time. The black anodized Specialized-branded Nitto stem has been exchanged for a Dura-Ace aero stem of identical length that’s true to the era. While I’ve fitted more recent tires for regular use, I’ve preserved the original, barely worn tires for any future owner who might want them.

Lastly, presented below are the detailed photographs captured by my brother at the time of purchase.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 05-21-24 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-21-24, 01:44 AM
BMC_Kid 

Here are the rest of the photos.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 05-21-24 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-21-24, 01:46 AM
BMC_Kid 

Here are the catalog photos that will be replaced.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 05-21-24 at 01:49 AM.