Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Be Careful Out There

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Be Careful Out There

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 05:07 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts
Be Careful Out There

I was out riding this afternoon but came to a red light and stopped.

Unbeknownst to me, a young man (~20) walked across the street in the middle of the block, not in the cross walk, not at a corner.

He walked directly towards me but from behind, in my "blind spot". Not expecting to hear anything (no cars), I turned to see him approaching after hearing his footsteps.

He was about 5-6 feet away but still behind me when I heard him approach.

When I looked at him, his right arm relaxed and the small baseball bat went back down to rest on his shoulder. He immediately changed his direction of travel, too.

His buddy, back across the street, ostensibly at the bus stop, was actually pissing on a building in broad daylight, in public.

A woman in a Mustang stopped mid-intersection and yelled at him to stop!

He started yelling back, telling her to, "**** off!" His baseball bat buddy started yelling at her, too, pointing the bat at her in a threatening manner.

She drove on.

All that transpired in about 60 seconds or so. Then the light turned green for me and I spllt.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-22-24 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-23-24, 07:15 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 3,183 Times in 2,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag

Unbeknownst to me, a young man (~20) walked across the street in the middle of the block, not in the cross walk, not at a corner.

He walked directly towards me but from behind, in my "blind spot". Not expecting to hear anything (no cars), I turned to see him approaching after hearing his footsteps.

He was about 5-6 feet away but still behind me when I heard him approach.

When I looked at him, his right arm relaxed and the small baseball bat went back down to rest on his shoulder. He immediately changed his direction of travel, too.

His buddy, back across the street, ostensibly at the bus stop, was actually pissing on a building in broad daylight, in public.

A woman in a Mustang stopped mid-intersection and yelled at him to stop!

He started yelling back, telling her to, "**** off!" His baseball bat buddy started yelling at her, too, pointing the bat at her in a threatening manner.

She drove on.

All that transpired in about 60 seconds or so. Then the light turned green for me and I spllt.
thats were a 'yield" is practiced.
Old 05-23-24, 07:41 AM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,702 Times in 802 Posts
I think you were about to be bike-jacked. You're lucky.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-23-24, 08:27 AM
work4bike

Liked 1,086 Times in 820 Posts
What kind of area were you in? Seems like there would be a lot of witnesses in the afternoon?

I've cycled thru some shady areas before, mostly on my tours and I do know the feeling of being scoped out and it is usually best to ride like you're riding thru hell...just keep going

Likes For work4bike:
Old 05-23-24, 03:24 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Liked 6,650 Times in 3,291 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Next time, keep going.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-23-24, 03:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,945 Times in 1,632 Posts
This could be anything from paranoia to luckily averting theft, injury or death.

There's no conclusion to be drawn, except as a reminder to be aware of our surroundings and make decisions accordingly. My commute used to take me through various towns where besides cars I had to worry either about being in a very rough neighborhood, or being in a town with ticket happy cops. What I did at lights depended on where I was as much as anything else.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.