Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Synapse Neo e-Bike cable runs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 01:38 PM
Cleavey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Anyone managed to replace the gear cable inner on a 2018 Synapse Neo? Can't tell if the inner & outer run the full length of the bike or the inner runs in short sections of the outer. Thx!
Old 05-24-24, 01:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,590 Times in 1,888 Posts
Although we have one of these, I am unsure of your terminology.

Our bike (Neo 1) has Shimano 105 shifters, and those use conventional brake cables and housing. The cables are internal, and the housing appears to be continuous. I would leave the housing in place unless it is damaged, and simply replace the shifting cables
Old 05-24-24, 02:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,959 Times in 1,640 Posts
It's easy enough to find out when comes time to replace.

Slacken the cable and pull one end of housing out an inch or two. Either you'll expose more housing bare inner wire.

Either way, do not pull the housing or wire out completely. While the process is different for continuous vs. interrupted housing, there are ways to avoid a fishing expedition trying to find the exit.
Old 05-24-24, 02:46 PM
Cleavey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. The bike I'm working on has SRAM drivetrain and levers, but there doesn't seem to be any movement in the outer cable. I noticed a very small hex-head screw in the head tube adjacent the point where the cable enters the tubing and wondered if this was some sort of clamp on the cable outer,
Old 05-24-24, 07:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 3,999 Times in 2,378 Posts
The hex screw sounds like the fastener that secures an entry port "fitting". Some companies use a removable (at least till the tiny screw becomes frozen from corrosion) cover plate that has the cable casing stop/port. Removing the screw and the cover results in a far larger access to the tube innards, often thanked for when fishing inner cables.

The other location cover plates can be found is at the BB. I strongly suggest that if anyone here rides a bike with these cover plates that are held by screws that they remove, clean off and reinstall the screw periodically. Sweat can do a real number with steel screws in either AL or carbon fiber... Andy