Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone contacted COVID and continued riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-24, 08:19 PM
jzr756

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

so 4 days ago came down with covid for the first time, After joining a meeting with some nice folks. afterwards I felt horrible , severe headache like never in my life, severe pain in both legs sore throat Anywho couldn't fall asleep so decided Ill take a midnight ride, Came home. Surprised actually felt just a tad better and fell asleep. Anyone else contact covid and continued riding? EDIT the only symptom remaining is a pretty uncomfortable sore throat.

Last edited by jzr756; 08-26-24 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-27-24, 02:45 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 377 Times in 223 Posts
The times I have had COVID were mid winter. But I wasn't bad enough to stop me from doing stuff. Was like getting the week off paid for the sniffles. After 14 years of working as a plumber in a level one Trauma center my immune system has to be robust
Old 08-27-24, 03:58 AM
Duragrouch
Durable Senior Member

Liked 882 Times in 706 Posts
I got it after 2 vaccines (currently up to 6 or 7). Worse than a cold, fever. Detected early (within 48 hour max window I think) so just a phone call to doctor and got prescription for two meds that I can't remember, one stops virus from replicating and one combats it I think. I took it easy, and I think was well in 4 days on meds. I don't think vigorous exercise is recommended, perhaps just stretching. Decades in the past, I recall having a cold that hung on for a couple weeks, at end a good bike ride helped blow it out. But covid is more serious and recovery can vary from mild effects to... death. Being vaxxed helps mitigate risk a TON.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 08-27-24, 05:58 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 377 Times in 223 Posts
I work maintenance in a hospital. Part of my job involves checking COVID-19 patients rooms to be sure they are negative pressure. Every time they bring out a new version of the vaccine, COVID cases sky rocket then taper off to just a few people each time the jump is a little less
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 08-27-24, 06:13 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday All-Packa & Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte, Ozark Trail G.1 Explorer

Liked 1,603 Times in 723 Posts
I know a fistful of people who recently caught COVID. Glad we have the meds and treatment protocols now. Be safe everyone!

Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-27-24, 07:27 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Liked 768 Times in 471 Posts
Had covid at the beginning of this month (Aug). Felt like maybe riding around day 7, but waited until day 10 and the ride was fine. Rode much better than I had expected to. It was a great surprise, as at the onset, thought it would take much longer to recupe. No way I could have gotten a ride in on those first 4 days.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-27-24, 07:45 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Liked 1,125 Times in 559 Posts
Rona for me, after being exposed early and often, was one infection that the symptoms lasted about 2 hours. I had a fever all the sudden and felt pretty bad, had a positive test result, went to sleep and woke up fine & did a 50 mile +/- ride.
Old 08-27-24, 08:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,158 Times in 1,328 Posts
When I caught Covid, I was pretty careful NOT to exert myself for a couple weeks. Having lived through one heart attack, I had no desire to risk cardiac inflammation and subsequent effects that had been observed earlier in the pandemic.

You know Ben Franklin's dictum, "Experience is a hard school, but a fool will learn in no other?" I try to learn in other ways.
Old 08-27-24, 11:45 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
The way I discovered I had COVID was I couldn't climb!
I was OK on the flat but I just could breath enough to get up the hill.
I was on a tour too!!!
I got home took a test and it was positive.
Old 08-27-24, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,404 Times in 3,729 Posts
Like any other illness, it pretty much depends on how you feel. If you feel like riding your bike, ride your bike. If not, don't ride your bike. You should also consider what your doctor or healthcare professional has to say about it.

If I knew you had COVID and were in my group on a ride, I'd just try not to be where you might be blowing snot rockets. But I watch for that with anyone. Though sometimes unsuccessfully. AFAIK, there are no known cases of someone contracting COVID from another while outside.
Old 08-27-24, 02:18 PM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
First bout with Covid nearly took me out, but with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times I was riding while still testing positive. Solo, of course...
Old 08-27-24, 02:51 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts
My son at the time was 20 years old and a College Cross County Runner. He tested positive and they made him stay home from school till clear. He had no symptoms and went out that day and ran 5 miles in the August heat above 85, mowed the grass and was fine. 2 Days later he tested negative, I don't know what went on, he though a week or so before that he just has some snuffles but nothing else and he has allergies. He was and has never been vaccinate. I got panicky when tested positive but far as I know I have never had covid. I did get the original vaccine and one booster one year later. I would not get another for sure I think it may have caused some issues but I am not a anti-vac person either. Just they don't have enough data.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 08-27-24, 03:15 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Liked 354 Times in 219 Posts
Flew out to St. George, Utah in 2022 for a family Back Roads guided ride and came down with Covid once there. I'd had the initial vaccination. Felt like hay fever. Had a cough but didn't really interfere with the tour at Bryce Canyon and Zion NP. I did take the shorter alternative climb one day.
Old 08-28-24, 06:20 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520

Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts
I was on a bike tour with 5 other people this past summer. I Didn’t feel great but symptoms were minor. I get allergies in the fall and it kind of felt like that and given this crazy weather I thought my allergies were coming earlier. The first time I got it, I had minimal symptoms as well. I rode for two days about 50 miles each day.

on the end of the 2nd day, my wife had more traditional symptoms. . We both tested positive. We ended our tour and drove back home.

I was happy to learn I did not infect anyone else. The first time my wife got the Covid and it did hit her hard.

Old 08-28-24, 03:26 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 546 Times in 428 Posts
I had covid a few weeks ago. It mostly just made me stuffy, with a dry cough. I got Paxlovid immediately and by day 3 I was much better, and by day 5 I tested negative. I did a ride the next day and took it easy. But on day 8 I had tickets to see Green Day at Citifield and went, but during the concert started coming down with it again. I went home and tested positive. At no point did I feel very sick, no worse than a cold really. On day 13 I tested negative again and have been fine since, about 3 weeks now so I'm sure I'm ok. I rode after I tested negative again but took it very easy. The last few rides I've ridden a lot harder and am fine.

My theory is that Pax really knocks covid out of your system but it is still lurking somewhere and once it stopped it came back, except now your immune system can take care of it itself. You hear a lot about rebound cases with it, but the consensus seems to be that it is covid rebounding and Pax just can't prevent it as it is only a 5 day regimen.

And one more thing. Pax leaves an awful taste in your mouth. And when it came back in me I lost my sense of taste and smell but it came back quickly.
Old 08-29-24, 09:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Liked 846 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jzr756
so 4 days ago came down with covid for the first time, After joining a meeting with some nice folks. afterwards I felt horrible , severe headache like never in my life, severe pain in both legs sore throat Anywho couldn't fall asleep so decided Ill take a midnight ride, Came home. Surprised actually felt just a tad better and fell asleep. Anyone else contact covid and continued riding? EDIT the only symptom remaining is a pretty uncomfortable sore throat.

Last month (July) I had a cough, voice was hoarse, but I wasn’t feeling bad. Three home COVID tests had been negative. Then, went to the Dr and he did a test. It was a Friday afternoon, and he said since it was late Friday the lab probably wouldn’t get me results until Monday. I did a triathlon on Sunday. Lab called Monday and said the test positive for COVID.

Dan
Old 08-29-24, 04:44 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Last month (July) I had a cough, voice was hoarse, but I wasn’t feeling bad. Three home COVID tests had been negative. Then, went to the Dr and he did a test. It was a Friday afternoon, and he said since it was late Friday the lab probably wouldn’t get me results until Monday. I did a triathlon on Sunday. Lab called Monday and said the test positive for COVID.

Dan
So how did you do in the tri?
Old 08-31-24, 08:37 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Liked 846 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
So how did you do in the tri?
After doing a handful of triathlons every season since the 80s…eight years ago I had to stop running. My left hip had gotten bad, and then hip replacement six years ago. By the time I recovered from that, my right knee was getting bad…and it was eventually replaced in October 2023. Obviously swimming and cycling were never a problem through both situations. Finally in February of this year (after consulting with the surgeon about it) I began trying a bit of jogging. It’s not painful, and I’m only going 3-5 miles once per week or 10 days. And it’s pretty slow…like 10:00 minute pace at best. But at least it’s pain free, and I actually feel like I’m running…and not limping along. At the beginning of summer I started to wonder how I’d do in a tri. So, I registered for a sprint in late July. I finished mid-pack, and mid 60-65 age group. I’ll probably do more. But nothing beyond sprints. — Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-01-24, 11:29 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Liked 464 Times in 265 Posts
Both times I had Covid the primary symptom was extreme fatigue. That was the only thing that limited my riding somewhat.
Old 09-03-24, 01:40 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 2024 A Homer Hilsen, 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Liked 3,568 Times in 1,105 Posts
I got my second or third round at the beginning of August. Thought it was bad allergies but the test strip lit up in seconds. It was a full week before I tested negative and I was pretty low energy during that time. I've experienced a slow tapering off of the bronchial/respiratory symptoms since then. I rode after 9 or 10 days, short rides. I'm still not fully back but I was also off the bike for most of July.
2024 A Homer Hilsen, 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, 197? Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mark I
Curator/Team Mechanic: 2016 Dawes Streetfighter, 1984 Lotus Eclair, 1975 Motobecane Jubile Mixte, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Free Spirit Ted Williams, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Philips Sport

Old 09-03-24, 05:28 PM
50PlusCycling

Liked 1,025 Times in 507 Posts
I got it while on holiday in Hawaii in 2022. I felt a little funny when swimming at Bellows beach, but shrugged it off. Later in the day we went to the water park near Kapolei, and I began to feel some chills. When we got home that night, it hit me. Fever, chills, accelerated heart beat, and I lost my senses of smell and taste. Fortunately, we have a pretty large home on the island, and I was able to isolate myself on one side of it, with my wife and daughter staying on the other.

At the time I couldn’t return to Japan unless I had a negative COVID test, so my wife and daughter had to return home without me, and I had to wait it out a couple of weeks. I began to feel better after a few days, and I hopped on my bike to ride outside in the sunshine, riding from Ward Village to Hanauma Bay each day. I think the riding helped with my recovery, in a couple more days my senses of smell and taste returned.

After 2 weeks I got my negative test, and was finally able to get home. I suppose there are worse places to spend a month than Hawaii.
Old 09-04-24, 09:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
when I got it between Christmas & New Year's I was down for the count. a cpl symptoms included "zombie walk" at the grocery store. came home & took a test, positive. another weird symptom, night sweats, like a lot of sweating! had to change bed sheets & pillow cases. super weird. I forget but I think maybe I had body aches & head aches. I get head aches from everything. can't imagine I would have gone for a ride. HOWEVER, after those 3 days, I stayed home from work & was really really bored & felt AMAZINGLY healthy & STONG. so much so that I went out back & started moving stone walls. really. right now I look at those walls & think what the heck?