Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring plans for 2006? Let's hear them!!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 07:45 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts

I'm pathetic. We just got home from a 980 mile tour from Burlington VT to the coast of Maine and back to Burlington. I need to be finishing up that touring journal found here:
Our Touring Journals

Instead I'm thinking of next July and of all the places we could go. Someplace out of the US this time.

What do you have on the burner? Anyone already got their 06 tour figured out?

Cheers,

Ron
Wasatch Mountain Range, South Ogden Utah
Old 08-12-05, 07:59 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to take 2 months off and do a Yosemite-Tahoe-Mt. Shasta-Redwoods-Coast ride-Big Sur-Santa Rosa (my new home) loop. My touring this year has been weak sauce because I had to settle into the move to Cali.
Old 08-12-05, 08:11 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Haven't done my 2005 tour yet.

I've got plans for the next 10 years!

Next year should the north shore of the St-Lawrence river to the road's end and back by boat or from Chisasibi (east coast of James Bay, another road's end) to home in Montreal via the western border of Québec (maybe some bits in Ontario).

Other plans include Atlantic Canada, preferably in a single 2-month trip, if I can ever take that much time off from work. Another would be from Calgary to Anchorage (2 months also).
Old 08-12-05, 08:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Instead I'm thinking of next July and of all the places we could go.

That's normal. There's usually a mild sense of depression and/or restlessness when you are finished a big tour and have returned to "normal" life. To combat that, we start looking ahead to future tours ... to comfort ourselves.

Before I even finished my 2004 Australia tour, I was already planning my 2005 tours and cycling events.

I'm not done all my 2005 tours yet, I've still got one coming up in a couple weeks, but I'm toying with touring bits of the following areas for 2006:

Alaska
British Columbia
North America East Coast
California

There are cycling events in each of those areas which intrigue me, and if I go, I will probably do a little bit of touring before and after.
Old 08-12-05, 08:20 PM
natelutkjohn
Cheesmonger Extraordinair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Instead I'm thinking of next July and of all the places we could go.

That's normal. There's usually a mild sense of depression and/or restlessness when you are finished a big tour and have returned to "normal" life. To combat that, we start looking ahead to future tours ... to comfort ourselves....

This year, after a great month long tour in May, to combat my return depression, I sold my car best damn thing I've ever done, and much better then turning to food or alcohol...
Although now I am planning my next tour and my next/second bicycle to replace the vehicle.
Old 08-12-05, 08:33 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
I'm pathetic
I think the word that you're looking for is addicted.
Old 08-12-05, 08:57 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

That too.

I've been biking a long time and just can't think of a better way to vacation.

I also hope to be car free one day. Or at least just have one and rarely ever use it. Right now that's not possible due to my working situation. I did move much closer to work though. 25 miles closer.

Back to the touring....

Nancy and I are thinking of either Scotland or Italy for July 06 but who knows. I may throw a companions wanted ad in the ACA mag and see if we can get a group tour going. So many choices.

Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
I think the word that you're looking for is addicted.
Old 08-12-05, 09:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Nancy and I are thinking of either Scotland or Italy for July 06 but who knows. I may throw a companions wanted ad in the ACA mag and see if we can get a group tour going. So many choices.

Italy might be on the agenda for 2007.
Scotland is on the 2009 plan.
Old 08-12-05, 11:16 PM
kevink159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to New Zealand and Austrailia for 2 months, then coming back to the states and bumming around the southwest until I'm broke or it gets to hot. IF I make it through spring, to the mountians I go.
Old 08-12-05, 11:48 PM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im planning a tour of the Yucatan peninsula (Mexico) for this fall. Ideas for next destinations include Cuba, the US West coast and somewhere in Europe.
Old 08-13-05, 12:26 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm thinking 4-6 months around Europe. Some kind of a zig-zag.

My current VERY LOOSE plan is France-Spain-France-Italy-?Monaco-Italy-Switzerland-Germany(Bavaria)-Austria-Czech Rep-Slovakia-Hungary-Balkans-?Greece. Perhaps back through Bulgaria-Romania, time permitting. I haven't checked rough distance-if it seems too much, or if the weather is crap I'll hop a ride (rail-coach) further along.

I'm not sure if I can buy a round trip flight with that much time in between, or if I'll get stuck buying pricey open jaw.
Old 08-13-05, 08:32 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

I've looked into this a bit since Nancy and I hope to reach the point where we're going out for several months each year. I was able to get roundtrip airfare for $750 that covered about 5 months. Just one example of course.

Cheers
Old 08-15-05, 07:38 AM
axolotl

Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Well, I was thinking seriously of going to Sri Lanka this coming January or February (anyone interested?). Now I'm hoping the cease file continues there following the recent political assassination. If that trip doesn't happen, I might return to northern Thailand and/or Laos. And before 2005 ends, I'm hoping to visit the highlands of Oaxaca & Chiapas in southern Mexico.
Old 08-15-05, 11:22 AM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My plans are small in comparison. I plan to ride the 525 miles of the Grand Illinois Trail in late spring. Maybe the RAGBRAI if time and plans work out.
Old 08-15-05, 12:29 PM
racpat_rtw

Bikes: Vittorio Strada randoneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We hope to start an "at least" one year trip through SE Asia, China, Tibet, Nepal, India and possibly back to Africa..... Keep on dreaming.
Old 08-15-05, 03:20 PM
edtrek
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My modest plan for 2006, which pales in comparison to the adventures listed previously, is a circumnavigation of the Chesapeake Bay, 508 miles, flat, hopefully some great food.
Online trip planning here if anybody's interested, always eager to have tips & advice.

Someday when I become the cyclist my dog thinks I am, I'd like to try the bigger trips.
Old 08-15-05, 04:37 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wait a second! The best of 2005 isn't over yet! I'm not leaving on my tour until October. I love touring on the shoulders! You seldom see another tourist. No crowds and it is not too hot.

I'm heading for Wales in October and coming back from Gatwick. Stealth caming all the way.
Old 08-15-05, 04:49 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short rides for '06
-Ride across Yosemitie. Weekend trip with some light hikking.
-San Francisco to San Diego. Long Weekend, light load, fast dash and a flight back.
-San Francisco to Durango. The big one. Fast tour with randomme load and extra water for the desert crossings. Two weeks hard across badlands, salt flats and Utah's canyon country.

(OT, a buddy of mine just left on a Denver Durango off road. 10 days MTB... ahhhh.)
Old 08-15-05, 08:13 PM
velomedieval
Spandex Disaster

Bikes: Scott Contessa CR1 (2006); Kona Dew Deluxe (2005); Roadmaster Little 500 SS (1997); Peugeot UO10 (1980)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to southern France for a research trip in May. Depending on the amount of funding I get, I'll be there for between 2-6 months and covering up to 5 regions (I have 2 months covered so far). I'll be on my own and I've never done anything like this before, so I'm simulataneously very excited and completely freaked out. Sometimes I almost manage to talk myself out of it. Even though I've been scouring the Touring forum, I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions for the more experienced.
Old 08-15-05, 09:22 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't given much thought to 2006 yet, I am still working on this years tours
For 2006, I have been thinking about paddling the 330 mile length of the Erie Canal in my home built Kayak I finished a few days ago.
We also got a vacation rental up in Mahoney Bay ,Nova Scotia for 3 weeks next year So I expect to be doing day rides up there with hopefully a 3 or 4 day tour in Newfoundland. with my son off to college I can go back to doing my longer tours in the fall which I prefer.
Old 08-16-05, 07:28 AM
axolotl

Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by velomedieval
I'm going to southern France for a research trip in May. Depending on the amount of funding I get, I'll be there for between 2-6 months and covering up to 5 regions (I have 2 months covered so far). I'll be on my own and I've never done anything like this before, so I'm simulataneously very excited and completely freaked out. Sometimes I almost manage to talk myself out of it. Even though I've been scouring the Touring forum, I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions for the more experienced.
What exactly are you freaked out about? Seriously, it sounds like you've got a fabulous arrangement. Things will be easier if you can speak French, but even if you can't, you should have a great time.
Old 08-16-05, 07:49 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have exchanged one obsession for another. I was a workaholic with over 40 weeks of unused vacations. Working for 50 years.
My new obsession is biking. Planning and training for ABB fast across America in May 2006. (Supported tour) Currently biking every available hour.
Old 08-16-05, 03:05 PM
velomedieval
Spandex Disaster

Bikes: Scott Contessa CR1 (2006); Kona Dew Deluxe (2005); Roadmaster Little 500 SS (1997); Peugeot UO10 (1980)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
What exactly are you freaked out about? Seriously, it sounds like you've got a fabulous arrangement. Things will be easier if you can speak French, but even if you can't, you should have a great time.
Details! Little things! Safety! See, I don't have to have anything in particular to worry about, I just worry. Period. I do speak French (choppily) and am memorizing a nice list of bicycle related terms. I think once I get there and hit the road, I'll have blast. All the tourers here always look like they're having such a marvelous time in the photos they post-- I want to get to that point!

Oh, velonomad- that's a gorgeous kayak!
Old 08-16-05, 04:57 PM
imafencer
ChainringTattoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I *think* '06 is my year for the TransAm. This is my first year touring and I've gotten the bug to do more than weekend trips. I had been planning for a Minneapolis to Indiana via the UP of MI, but I'm a teacher/student and don't know how long this summers off gig will last. Hey, what's a few thousand extra miles?
Old 08-16-05, 05:24 PM
Gordon P

My life is a bit chaotic at the moment, but I am thinking about travelling. If I don’t go back to school next month, I may take a short cycling trip to England and cycle or hike the coast to coast. If I do go back to school, it will be for one year and after I finish, I will go to Denmark in September of 2006. I have the use a friend’s summerhouse north of Copenhagen and I would like to tour around the north of Sealand and maybe explore Jutland and cross over to Norway or Sweden. However, for now it is all a dream!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.