Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I pull my Segino AT cranks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 04:11 PM
CalTex
Older, but wizened

Bikes: Purchased a Soma "Speedster" in May '08 to replace my cludged-together Peugeot "UO-8" with alloy upgrades which will be up for sale on craigslist in the near future.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought this would be a simple matter of using a hex wrench to take the dustcap off the cranks and use a standard crank tool for the removal. However, when I turn the hex wrench about half a revolution counter clockwise, it starts to tighten up again. I see that there are slots in the dustcap on either side of the hex bolt (see attached image). Is there some special tool I need to get or is there something I need to do differently? As always, I appreciate y'all coming to my rescue. Thanks.
Old 08-25-05, 04:15 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are probably self extracting. The "dust cap" is really a ring that threads into the extractor/dustcap threads so that as you back out the fixing bolt, it pushes the crank off.
Old 08-25-05, 04:37 PM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, so the drill is turn it some more.
Old 08-25-05, 05:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Yep, you have an "Autex" crank bolt set. As recommended, keep unthreading the hex bolt and the crank arms will come off.

BTW, it's a nice feature and Shimano adopted a very similar arangement with it's Ultegra and Dura Ace "Octalink" crank sets.