Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Former Pro Cyclist Shot At By Teens!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-05, 08:35 AM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Former professional cyclist and current professional triathlete/duathlete, Andrea Ratkovic, was shot on Monday October 10th at approximately 1:15 pm while riding her bike. Ratkovic was riding on a bike path when a car in the road lane closest to her opened fire with a small caliber gun firing several shots but only hitting her once in the lower back.

"All I heard was TAT, TAT, TAT, TAT, and I knew what was coming. I was hoping I wouldn't get hit, but then I felt the fire and sting, and I knew that I'd been hit." Ratkovic said from that point on she tried to monitor her bodily functions.

"After I felt like I was going to be okay and not pass out or something, I prayed for a red light up ahead, and I got it." Ratkovic jumped off the bike path and rode up to the passenger side of the car which was stopped at the red light.

"I was afraid I might get shot in the face, but at the same time I felt that I had to be able to identify the shooter." She said she yelled at the boys inside who were around 16 or 17 years of age. "I asked them why they shot me, and they said they didn't know. They apologized. I told them I was going to report them to the police."

Ratkovic got the car's tag number and filed a police report and was then transported to the Norman Regional ER where she was treated and released. "Everyone there was so wonderful because my roommate told everyone what had happened. She works in radiology there, and so do I. We're like a big family up there, so when something like this happens it's pretty traumatic."

Ratkovic was told that her clothing helped to keep the bullet from entering her body. "I have a hole in my back over my left kidney, but the bullet itself I think glanced off of my jersey, plus I also had another shirt under that. If the bullet would have hit an inch lower then it would have been a straight on shot, and there would have been problems because it would have penetrated me pretty good." "I'm just glad they didn't hit my neck or my
eye!"

Andrea is expected to make a full recovery. "It's funny because everyone was so surprised that I didn't yank those kids out of the car. I might race aggressively, but I'm not that way in my every day life."

https://www.duathlon.com/articles/3958
Old 10-12-05, 08:38 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
if my kid ever did that he'd better not even bother coming home.
Old 10-12-05, 08:49 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great she got the license plate number ! what presence of mind ! those little sh*ts
Old 10-12-05, 08:57 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad she's alright; I've done club rides with her a few times when I'm in OK for the summers. She did better than I would have. I would have pulled the ****er out of the car and shoved his head up his own ass. Local paper mentioned that lawyers will take over from this point.
Old 10-12-05, 04:12 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
if my kid ever did that he'd better not even bother coming home.
That kid's lucky he did come home!
How many of us would be that cool?

Now, sitting here i'd think of all the community service i'd have the kids doing (makeing bike paths with a q-tip and paint) while they pay me millions of dollars...

but at the time someone's shooting, if the limbic system part of kill or be killed kicks in... i'd hope i'd have enough self control not to get biblical on someones kid.
Old 10-12-05, 05:26 PM
cruentus
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read about this on another site. She describes the two little sh1ts as "middle class looking White kids, driving an SUV". Way to go mom and dad, give your little cretins everything they want, except a moral compass.

Lucky it wasn't me, I shoot back and I don't own anything smaller than a 9mm.
Old 10-12-05, 05:41 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Liked 695 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by cruentus
I read about this on another site. She describes the two little sh1ts as "middle class looking White kids, driving an SUV". Way to go mom and dad, give your little cretins everything they want, except a moral compass.

Lucky it wasn't me, I shoot back and I don't own anything smaller than a 9mm.
But havent ya heard? 9mm just doesn't have the 'stopping power'

If it were me those kids would be alive, but only just. Their SUV would have gone up in flames right there. I hope they do some serious time and enjoy being bubba's b!tch.
Old 10-12-05, 05:46 PM
nolageek
FixedGearQueer

Bikes: 2005 IRO, 198x Bianchi Stelvio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait. After they shot her, she asked them why and the reply was:

"Um, I dunno. Sorry."

That's so f**ked up.
Old 10-12-05, 05:47 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh man... that would've given me a reason to fire back..
Old 10-15-05, 12:32 PM
phinney

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shot at with a toy gun...
Old 10-15-05, 12:40 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That happened right down the street from me. I ride that road EVERY day.

Difference is - if those kids had shot at me, I would have beat up the lot of em, called it self defense, and never had a guilty thought about it. Also, I would have put their car in drive and let it drift into the embankment.
Old 10-15-05, 08:10 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know man, I can't say what I'd do if I was in her position. She's just pretty damn lucky to be alive. I guess that's the only thing you can really take out of it, right? Kids will always be messed up. I'm sure she'll get a pretty penny from the incident too (not that that makes it any better though).