Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How to make a better looking bike light

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 08:58 AM
purple hayes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm knowledgeable enough to make my own bike light, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on how to make it look better. Any tips and/or tricks to making a DIY bike light look a little better?
Old 10-17-05, 09:26 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, John. How's it going?

Sorry about the hijack.
Old 10-17-05, 10:46 AM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think over in Total Geekiness thread (good luck searching that monster! ) there are some posts about using automobile driving light housings, I think they were Optronics brand or something like that. Do a search on "Optronics" in the forums and see what you come up with. I think these lights accepted MR-11 or MR-13's, so you could put in what you want for wattage.

Also, I recommend looking into Phillips energy-saver bulbs. A friend sent me one he wasn't using and it's great, putting out about 50% more light per watt than a standard halogen bulb, allowing me much longer run time, which also allows me a more powerful bulb for my small battery.

Good to hear from you, Purple Hayes, wasn't there a newspaper article on you commuting from Grayson to Atlanta? Keep up the good work...
Old 10-17-05, 11:07 AM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spraypainting something black makes it look a lot more like it belongs on a bike. It also helps to use "bike style" hardware, such as allen head bolts instead of regular hex or philips head, and the Minoura bracket instead of cable clamps.

However, at a certain point you have to just accept your geekiness and it will accept you.
Old 10-17-05, 11:58 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hi John. Haven't heard from you in a while. Good to see you're still around. How are things going in your part of Gwinnett? Still working at the same place?

Can't help with the light, but as Pete suggested, try the Total Geekiness thread.
Lots of black tape? Spray paint?
Post some pictures when you're finished.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-17-05, 12:35 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I noticed that in addition to their inexpensive ($110) HID lights (which look nice), TrailTech has some very nice looking MR11 and MR16 chromed brass lights. They're around $50. A little steep but not bad, and they certainly look good.

Here's the page:
https://www.trailtech.net/atv_light_parts_1.htm

Here's how I mounted my HID from them (looks the same as the MR11 halogen)
https://www.hauntedfrog.com/gallery2/...serialNumber=2
Old 10-17-05, 01:26 PM
purple hayes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Hey, John. How's it going?

Sorry about the hijack.
Hi, right back at you, Isaias.

wasn't there a newspaper article on you commuting from Grayson to Atlanta?
Yup. Earlier this year. (two, in fact)

How are things going in your part of Gwinnett? Still working at the same place?
I'm in the Gwinnett part of Loganville now, but still work in the same place. The new commute is around 17-18 miles each way. Still looking for the best route to work.
Old 10-17-05, 01:42 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by purple hayes
I'm in the Gwinnett part of Loganville now, but still work in the same place. The new commute is around 17-18 miles each way. Still looking for the best route to work.
John, you're a TRUE bike commuter. Moving so your bike commute is 2-3 miles longer.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-17-05, 04:22 PM
rnagaoka

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
I think over in Total Geekiness thread (good luck searching that monster! ) there are some posts about using automobile driving light housings, I think they were Optronics brand or something like that. Do a search on "Optronics" in the forums and see what you come up with. I think these lights accepted MR-11 or MR-13's, so you could put in what you want for wattage.

Also, I recommend looking into Phillips energy-saver bulbs. A friend sent me one he wasn't using and it's great, putting out about 50% more light per watt than a standard halogen bulb, allowing me much longer run time, which also allows me a more powerful bulb for my small battery.
I'm in the process of brewing up some lights myself. As LittleBigMan says, the Optronics Fog lights seem to be the "standard" for no-hassle and cheap gratification. They hold mr16's, which I actually prefer for their larger, more efficient reflectors and choice of the above mentioned Philips Masterline energy saver bulbs or "HID" white bright Solex bulbs. (Put 2 side by side on your handlebars and it'll look like you're entering the Dakar Rally)

Besides the famous "Geekiness" thread, here is a condensed tutorial on a home-built Optronics light:

https://www.peteryan.com/morc/BikeLightsPart2 (or try...)
https://www.peteryan.com/morc/BikeLightsPart2.pdf
Old 10-17-05, 06:37 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was out riding with my optronics lights this afternoon (it was daylight and they weren't turned on) and a pedestrian asked me where I got them. So I guess they look OK. A minoura clamp and a piece of aluminum angle spray painted black complete the look.
Old 10-17-05, 10:44 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where can I get a lightweight battery to power my 1 million CP Cibie Rallye lights?
Old 10-17-05, 11:10 PM
steveknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rnagaoka
I'm in the process of brewing up some lights myself. As LittleBigMan says, the Optronics Fog lights seem to be the "standard" for no-hassle and cheap gratification. They hold mr16's, which I actually prefer for their larger, more efficient reflectors and choice of the above mentioned Philips Masterline energy saver bulbs or "HID" white bright Solex bulbs. (Put 2 side by side on your handlebars and it'll look like you're entering the Dakar Rally)

Besides the famous "Geekiness" thread, here is a condensed tutorial on a home-built Optronics light:

https://www.peteryan.com/morc/BikeLightsPart2 (or try...)
https://www.peteryan.com/morc/BikeLightsPart2.pdf
https://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...002817/c-10101
I have this light andi t is nice and small.
Old 10-18-05, 12:05 AM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
use two. On my MTB i have 2 lights, right next to the grips. The seperation means the lights pick out shadows and give more depth, makes the bike look more car-like... I get lots of comments on the setup.