Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Poor Shifting After Rain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Poor Shifting After Rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 10:08 AM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poor Shifting After Rain

I recently completed Cycle North Carolina. The last 3 days / 225 miles were in pouring rain (T.S. Tammy) and my bike had to sit outside, uncovered on the first rainy night. When we got home and dry, I noticed really stiff shifting. I started with simple stuff and worked my way up. After my efforts resulted in only marginal improvement, I finally replaced the shift housing. That did the trick.

The housing was really stiff and rusty on the ends. I usually don't start a ride if I think I'm going to get soaked, but I've been caught out on occasion. I also occasionally wash my bike, but have never had any housing-related shifting problems like this before. I've been replacing my housing every other year as a preventive measure, and these were only 9 months old.

Since I don't ride in the rain much, I was wondering just how much exposure it takes to have a problem.
It seems as if occasional wet riding is normally not a problem (as long as you can dry out afterwards) and the 1 1/2 uninterrupted days of exposure to riding and sitting in the rain (followed by 2 more days of solid rain) that got me. Comments?

Thanks
Old 10-22-05, 11:08 AM
lmzimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you ever lube the chain/drivetrain? How often?More often after wet exposure??
Old 10-22-05, 11:24 AM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you lube the cables & housing? For fairweather bikes, I generally squirt triflow into the housing. For all-weather bikes, I rub the cable down with the goopiest grease I can find--usually trailer bearing grease--before putting it in the housing. Good for keeping water out.

But then again, I usually work on old friction shifting bikes, and I don't know much about/hate indexing. I could be missing something.
Old 10-22-05, 11:38 AM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used TriFlow and kept the chain / drivetrain clean and lubed daily in the rain. But then again, my problem was the housing of my index shifters (STI).

I've never lubed derailleur cables (except unber the BB and where it enters the rear derailleur housing. Is this one of those topics that divides the bicycling community?
Old 10-22-05, 11:47 AM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try lubing your cables. The worst that yould happen is 2.4 extra grams of grease.
Old 10-22-05, 06:27 PM
beowoulfe
Honorable Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A wrench told me once that lubing the cables sucks dirt etc into the housings as the cable slides in and out.
Old 10-22-05, 06:32 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the chain cleaned up and re-lube. You should not have to lube the cables IMO.
Old 10-22-05, 06:54 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 324 Times in 170 Posts
Shimano recomends greasing the cables, and has some cables now that come with silicone grease already in them.