Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant TCR carbon bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant TCR carbon bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 09:25 PM
Roadierookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant TCR carbon bikes

Anyone have any comments on Giant TCR bikes (specifically the TCR 2)? I have heard that they are really good value for the money but I am wondering what owners have to say or riders that have test ridden them?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 11-09-05, 10:12 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not a expert on this but I beleive the 2003 - 2004 Giant Carbon road frames were simply known as TCR carbons. A long with that they also had a TCR carbon aero time trial frame. The new model Giant carbon road bike frames go under the TCR & OCR badging. I've seen the TCR carbon frames go on eBay for as low as $650.00. A good deal for a carbon frame.

Last edited by jimbud; 11-11-05 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 11:26 PM
iansir

Bikes: Giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The carbon TCR is called the TCR composite. There is also an OCR composite.
Then there is the plain TCR, it is aluminum (as is the OCR). Good bike but best thing to do would be test ride it for yourself.
Old 11-09-05, 11:29 PM
Warblade
Beko = Touring God.

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To bad you can't buy the ACTUAL type of frame the Mobile boys use...noo we have to have seatposts! Not the seattube extended with a clip like device on the end with minimal adjustment.
Old 11-10-05, 12:01 AM
acathi_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warblade
To bad you can't buy the ACTUAL type of frame the Mobile boys use...noo we have to have seatposts! Not the seattube extended with a clip like device on the end with minimal adjustment.
apparently they're selling them in th UK, along with some other frames I haven't seen. check out the link.

https://www.lafree.com/uk/030.000.000...2006&range=226
Old 11-10-05, 12:48 AM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bleh, they dropped the ball on the seatpost clamp thing. It weighed in at about 100g, pretty excessive if you ask me.

They should have gone with something akin to what Paduano does with their integrated seatpost.

Last edited by BigFloppyLlama; 11-10-05 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-10-05, 11:10 PM
craign04
Fahren auf den Autobahn

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, 2004 Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive seen the tcrs with integrated seatposts in shops in germany, so if you really want one go on vacation and bring it home
Old 11-11-05, 09:00 AM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my take on the TCR 2. I LOVE IT!! I bought me the '05 TCR Composite C2 w/ full Ultegra compos about 1.5 months ago. It has been fantastic. Giant uses the same frame in the TCR 2, 1 and 0. The ride is very responsive (step on the pedals and go), handling is amazing and climbing is effortless. Road bumps are soaked up nicely but does not yield that "wooden" feel, IMO. Within the first week I changed many of the components to FSA carbon cranks, Wipperman stainless chain, Easton EC90 composite fork, EC90 composite bars, EC70 stem, EC70 carbon seat post, SLR saddle w/ Ti rails and Mavic Ksyrium SLs. This all has really lightened the load and it feels so much better. I was debating between an '04 Kestrel Evoke and this bike. Liked the Kestrel but this one felt soooo much better to me. Plus I love the racing geometry (and the mile of seat post that goes with it). Just go out and ride as many bikes as you can to find the one that feels the best and the one you have an instant connection with. Hope this helps!

"The bicycle has a soul. If you are able to love it as it deserves, it will give you emotions you will never forget." -Mario Cipollini
Old 11-11-05, 09:33 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My brother has one and he also got one for his wife and they both love them. About 5 guys in my club bought them and they love them as well. Interestingly enough, a lot of guys bought the Orbeas and didn't like them. Though the hispanic guys swear by them.

As a plug - I just got a 2002 Look KG 241 and am REALLY happy with it. It rides so smoothly that I'm constantly surprised at how fast I'm going. 40 mph feels like 30. I don't think that Look is making these any longer but they're still available on the internet. Mine is the 60 cm (c-c so it's really more like a 61 c-t) and I'm riding it all the time right now.
Old 11-11-05, 10:09 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a TCR C2, as well. I'm loving it. I've had it about a month and have put almost 880 miles on it so far.

Old 11-11-05, 10:12 AM
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Bill above, I bought a TCR Comp 2 about 1.5 months ago ($1,599 at Performance) and absolutely love it. My previous ride (an 80's steel Colnago) was nice, this puppy is great. I really love the responsiveness - mash a few strokes and this baby jumps. Hill climbing is easy - no problem with descents (I am a bit careful, so I'm not the best to gauge high speed descents).

My bike is stock - including the Time Impact pedals. Only problem now Bill has me thinking about upgrades. Actually, I doubt I'll be doing any this season, but I'll keep his list.
Old 11-11-05, 02:54 PM
Rman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2005 TCR C1. Same frame and colour as the C2 but with an all carbon fork. I find the frame a little flexy in the bottom bracket compared to my 1992 Klein when I stomp on the pedals. The bike came with a carbon fibre stem but I managed to crack it on the first ride. I got it replaced with a FSA OS-115 and fortunately no failure yet. There does not appear to be any difference with the FSA stem under normal cruise speeds; however, I do notice the front end appears much stiffer than with the CF stem when pulling on the bars out of the saddle (also way stiffer than my old Klein). The Giant compact geometry fit is perfect for myself. The steering is a bit too quick for my liking but handles better on my rollers than my Klein. Replace the brake pads right away. The stock pads shed so much brake dust, make as terrible grinding sound, and requires so much pressure on the levers to stop. The Time Impact pedals are terrible IMHO - they are throw aways.

Last edited by Rman; 11-11-05 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 03:45 PM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill post up a pic for Bobby as soon as I get the bike back from the shop (FD adjustment).

"The bicycle has a soul. If you are able to love it as it deserves, it will give you emotions you will never forget." -Mario Cipollini
Old 11-11-05, 05:27 PM
craign04
Fahren auf den Autobahn

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, 2004 Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here is my '04 TCR C1, i love it, swapped the time pedals for look KeOs, bars for ritcheys, stem for an ITM, and the saddle was horrible i swapped it for an arione. After 1 season I upgraded to 10 speed dura ace from 9 speed ultegra just cause i got a deal i only had to pay $325 to do it.
Old 11-12-05, 10:21 AM
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brahman Bull
Ill post up a pic for Bobby as soon as I get the bike back from the shop (FD adjustment).
Thanks Bull, I'd really appreciate it. Always interested in seeing what others do to their rigs. I'm mostly wanting to change pedals, not sure what else I'll try.
Bob
Old 11-12-05, 10:29 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why would a sane person want minimal adjustment?
Old 11-12-05, 10:32 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
I have a TCR C2, as well. I'm loving it. I've had it about a month and have put almost 880 miles on it so far.

You actually ride that thing with the saddle like that? A bigger size might have been appropriate.