Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone w/ rollers please help.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 04:10 PM
Brahman Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am thinking about buying rollers to train when I am unable to get outside to ride. Do rollers wear out tires fairly quickly? I know on my trainer the rear tire wears out very fast. Any insight would help! Thanks.

"The bicycle has a soul. If you are able to love it as it deserves, it will give you emotions you will never forget." -Mario Cipollini
Old 02-23-06, 04:12 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No, they don't. Riding on rollers is actually better (from a tire wear perspective) than riding on the roads because rollers have a smooth surface.
Old 02-23-06, 04:18 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont really wory about it. I have a spare wheelset that gets ridden on rollers. Any way you need something to do with worn out tires any way.
Old 02-23-06, 04:28 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
No, they don't. Riding on rollers is actually better (from a tire wear perspective) than riding on the roads because rollers have a smooth surface.
That's generally true, although you don't get any wear from cornering as you would outside.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 02-23-06, 04:41 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
That's generally true, although you don't get any wear from cornering as you would outside.
Good point - I hadn't thought of that. . .
Old 02-23-06, 08:12 PM
merlin70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard they wear tires fast too. But in my first season w/rollers (this winter), I haven't noticed any excessive wear. I have noticed that the tires become almost "polished", since they are spinning on smooth drums w/no grit, sand, etc. like on the road they become very smooth and bald looking. A ride on the steet makes them look torn up compared to roller rides.