Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cycling addiction

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Cycling addiction

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-02, 09:54 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Cycling addiction

OK, I'm beginning to think this is a serious medical condition here. I just got back from a tour, but I find that the more I ride the more I want to ride. I just can't stop myself. At the moment I'm seeing all the other mundane activities (i.e. sleeping, breathing etc) as just an annoyance. Help!

That is all.
Old 12-01-02, 10:08 PM
oxologic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's totally fine, just don't overtrain.

Try to bring in other sports as well, otherwise if you keep cycling, you'll most probably lose interest in it sooner or later (See : Burnout).
Old 12-01-02, 11:25 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
naw, I agree with you Chris.. Once you have the ablility to do long tours it is in your blood. I get over one tour and I am planning the next.. The addiction is not loosing the ability to go onto the next tour... That would be unforgiveable...
Old 12-03-02, 12:03 AM
Hawkphoto
Nikon Nemisis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I skip Classes, and even Work to go ride...
Old 12-03-02, 12:04 AM
Airborne
Sir Crashalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by oxologic
It's totally fine, just don't overtrain.

Try to bring in other sports as well, otherwise if you keep cycling, you'll most probably lose interest in it sooner or later (See : Burnout).
yeah i hear you all on this... i burned out a few weeks ago from a constant pace since may.... out a few weeks here...
Old 12-03-02, 03:05 AM
cyclezealot

To think about not getting atop my favorite hill, winter being here and the countryside is greening up, traversing through areas loaded with hawks, bougainvilla; a day without at least a short 30 mile ride is like a day without your favorite walk. Do not get burned out on that.. It is what I do.
Maybe to be training too hard can get a person burned out.. I ride for pleasure- sort of a daily mini-tour through your favorite hills and dales- can't imagine gettng burned out on that.. Riding for pleasure is still exercise. Don't have to always hit it so hard. Just go out for the fun of it- once in awhile..
For me, my group rides two days a week is somewhat competitive. the rest is just like my daily "constitutional.." It is something a person should do daily.. Or almost daily..
Old 12-03-02, 11:40 AM
alexeicharkham

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was it the victoria trip? how was it chris?
Old 12-03-02, 01:26 PM
Chris L

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Yeah, I had a great time in Victoria. I'll be posting a full report in the touring section at some stage in the near future (probably this weekend). Cycling the Great Ocean Road is something I'll never forget.

That is all.
Old 12-03-02, 02:30 PM
Greg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not alone Chris.

My wife has caught me a few times recently in the kitchen just sitting on my bike.

She doesn't understand when I tell her I don't know how I got there.

I'd rather ride than most anything else.
Old 12-03-02, 03:52 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's the "most anything else" that might have your wife concerned.
Old 12-03-02, 09:12 PM
geofflowery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Greg
I'd rather ride than most anything else.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 12-03-02, 10:05 PM
cyclezealot

I am one of those who think too competitive a spirit can be one that eventually causes the competitive sport addict to become disinterested.. Once you can't compete, what else is there to do, unless you love the bike and use it as it is intended- to transport yourelf about.. Yes, the competitor can like both, the race and the travel aspects- but if you are not in love with the act of cycling and just competiting with your opponent- you will eventually call it quits. We can't all be speed demons forever.
I have enountered the triathlete type who see no fun in the bike if they are not racing.. Just to go out and ride is foreign to them..
One amazing thing I shall ever remember, riding down the Pacific Coast highway in Solana Beach... A group of triathlete males, abandoned a beautiful female triathlete.. She got a flat. None apparently stopped to help her out, even though she was not equipped to handle a flat. Not sure how large her group was..
Well, we roadie /tourist types stopped to help her out.. She was a poor helpless female.!!! Had not adequate gear to fix a flat even.. ! We told her when we parted after fixing her flat, she should travel with touring types.. They would have the time to help one another.
Heah, I am not picking upon Triatthletes, just sometimes any of us can take life too seriously..
Biking is great. The people you meet and the stories you hear.. Two years ago on my central coast tour- we camped with Brits in the state parks, encountered trans-continental cycle tourists. There is always a story out there to learn from one another.. Touring is great.. We immediately relate to one another. At least those I meet..
Think it is just not the act of riding long distances itself, but sharing with other cycle tourists your stories.. And the reaction of the locals to you...
Old 12-04-02, 03:05 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can relate. i've gone on non-cycling vacations a few times in the last 2 years and i just about freak out after about 3 days not being on the bike...

i agree with cyclezealot about cycling and competition - that i love cycling when i'm not competing as well as competing and training for competition. this year i only did about 5 races and last year about 3 - since i left Oregon i haven't really gotten back into the racing scene and i'm not actively training for races - i just ride! but i've still logged some 10,000km and 61,000m vertical this year! i may not be quite as fast as i could be but i actually have had as much or more time on the bike as when i was actively training for the 3 years prior.

in January i'm going to Russia for 10 days and i don't think i'll be riding - i'm going with my sister who's only a good weather cyclist and i'm not taking the bike and it's REALLY cold in Russia in January with average temps in the -20 to -15C range. but in the past i've actually found a week-long break every few months makes me love cycling even more.
Old 12-04-02, 07:43 AM
Greg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by wabbit
I think it's the "most anything else" that might have your wife concerned.
You're probably right. She's probably thinking of tonites excuse right now.
Old 12-13-02, 05:32 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Greg

You're probably right. She's probably thinking of tonites excuse right now.
she might have a pak of asprin ready in case you have another "headache"
Old 12-13-02, 04:47 PM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yesterday (12/12) my wife and i had to get to the hospital by 6am. By 8:43am we welcomed Benjamin Charles RiPHRaPH into this world. After being up all night the night before and waiting with my wife in recovery and seeing the baby, i went home to 'get some sleep' for 3 hrs before i was to pick up my 2 other children from school to meet their new brother.

well...i took those 3 hrs to....yep....ride. did the same thing today. sleep is overrated anyway...right?
Old 12-13-02, 06:31 PM
Greg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the addiction, I mean addition, RiPHRaPH.
Old 12-13-02, 09:09 PM
RiPHRaPH
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very punny greg. and thanks.
Old 12-13-02, 09:52 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken to sleeping with my bike so it is always near me
Old 12-14-02, 01:57 PM
Chris L

Originally posted by greywolf

she might have a pak of asprin ready in case you have another "headache"
A friend of mine already tried that. He approached his wife with two asprins and a glass of water. When she told him she didn't have a headache, he said "OK, let's f***." He didn't get the response he wanted from that one.

That is all.