Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

is standing up while riding bad for the knees?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 12:31 PM
alexeicharkham

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a hybrid and a road bike. The hybrid is quite heavy (another thread about heavy bikes, below, reminded me of this question), so I find I stand up a fair bit. I remember hearing a while ago that standing too much is bad for the knees.

Is it?

Cheers, and happy new year all,
Alexei
Old 01-16-03, 08:25 PM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not really. You're more likely to hurt your knees mashing away while seated. If you like to stand, stand!
Old 01-16-03, 08:29 PM
sscyco
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride a SS bike on the road, I find myself standing often - never having any knee pain.
Old 01-17-03, 08:54 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think it depends on the knee problem (if you have one).

i have tendonitous in knees from overtraining (mostly running) a few years ago and i found that STANDING i could ride for hours without aggravating my knees while sitting would cause pain...

although, generally when you stand you use bigger gears (i use 2-4 gears larger usually) so this is more force and lower cadence, so there is more force...

in general i would still say "no"
Old 01-17-03, 10:58 AM
MichaelW

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Riding in too high a gear, whether standing or seated, can be bad for your knees. Standing is a usual method of climbing steep hills, and when alternated with sitting, can make a big climb much easier.
Old 10-10-07, 07:09 AM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course it is bad for the knees, you are putting all your weight on the knee, and the stress on it is higher. Not to mention the stresses on the bike itself are higher too.
Old 10-10-07, 07:15 AM
edzo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aMull
Of course it is bad for the knees, you are putting all your weight on the knee, and the stress on it is higher. Not to mention the stresses on the bike itself are higher too.
incorrect and incorrect.

it depends on the knee.

but for the most common knee surgery for cyclists,
therapy includes riding the bike and doing more standing on
the grunts and gradual climbs. it preserves the knee

those who say it is bad for the knees do not really know what they are talking about

it is generally, mostly good for the knees. sitting and mashing hills is what kills knees
Old 10-10-07, 03:07 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not really - and here's why. When you are standing, you generally put more energy into the pedals - this much is true. However, when you are seated your knee angle is much more bent than when you stand and pedal. Generally speaking, it's this more bent knee (more pressure on the joint) that causes the stress on the knee.

... Brad
Old 10-10-07, 06:44 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Well... not really. When you think about it, ALL of the stress will ALWAYS go through the knees. Strong riders can actually exert twice their body-weight on the pedals.

The issue is really about where the weak point is in a particular knee. Some people have it on teh side, others in front, other behind. Which leads to a different position where the knee is stressed the most. In general though, it's safest to apply large forces with the legs fairly straight. Such as when reaching up for a high-shelf, or when kicking someone in the face.

It's applying large forces on a BENT knee that causes the most problem. In this position, the forces are no longer going through the bones, but have a larger percentage going through the ligaments and tendons. The sideways wobbling of the knee around the top of the pedal-stroke is a sign of this looseness. Then try applying a lot of force... ouch... That's why a low seat that's too far back is the worse set-up for knees.
Old 10-10-07, 09:29 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stand alot... Every 8-10 minutes I'll ride standing for 30 seconds to 2 minutes at a time. Once I did my entire 9.40 mile loop just dancing on the pedals. I really didn't have a choice because my seat post clamp broke and my seat fell all the way down. I still maintained around 19 mph average on that stretch until I got back to my car and switched the clamp out.

The only problem I seem to have is that I like to stand and push a big gear 53-15 or 50-12 depending on what bike I'm on... this causes problems with my IT band sometimes. Less now that I've learned some new stretches.

I don't have any other problems with my knees unless my saddle is too low.
Old 10-13-07, 08:45 AM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i don't know if that's anything to go by since it happened for the first time last monday (i also stand when riding from a stop light, or some short hills for example), but when i was standing up last week i got pain above the knee of the my left leg, and as soon as i sat down it went away. It really surprised my since in the last year of commuting i have never experienced it. The day before i rode the bike without this problem. Next time i rode i tried to sit as much as i could which made starting from lights really slow, but i didn't get any pain. I will ride today as well and will try standing up to see if it's back.