Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

newbie question about stem sizes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 01:46 PM
spinner1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what is the range of stem sizes? and what is their importance?:confused:
Old 02-28-03, 02:13 PM
Rotifer
WallaWalla!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stems range in size fairly dramatically, from 0mm on up. They are important because, otherwise, your bike would only be connected to the fork via the cables. Ha ha. No, stem length needs to be adjusted according to your riding style and physical build. You'll want to consult a LBS (local bike shop) since you, apparently, don't have much experience in this area - there are some great ones in Portland. One other thing; stems also come in varying degrees of "rise" which allows you to further tweak handling and ergonomics.
Old 02-28-03, 03:35 PM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rotifer
Stems range in size fairly dramatically, from 0mm on up.
0.....really?? I see a Hammer Azonic in the QBP that is listed as 0,but the bars are still ahead of the steerer.
Old 03-08-03, 06:27 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rotifer
They are important because, otherwise, your bike would only be connected to the fork via the cables. Ha ha.
Thanks, Rotifer. I was at work when I read this and a bit miffed because I wasn't getting down what I wanted to. I pictured a bike with forks connected by cables and I laughed and laughed. It cheered me up. Thanks!