Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mystery ticking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mystery ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 04:13 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mystery ticking

i have a mystery sound coming from the crank arms/front derailleur/bottom bracket/pedal kida area. just a double tick sound, always at the same part of my spin, during the right side downstroke, regardless of which ring i'm on. if i don't put pressure on the pedal, i don't get it, when the bike's on the stand, i don't get it either. i've lubed the chain and the pedals, tightened the tension on the cleat release mechanism on the pedals, and i don't see a lot of wobble in the chainline. recently broke the chain and replaced it and the cassette, the noise seems a little worse since then. sometimes during and after being caught in rain, it goes away.

any ideas?

thanks so much in advance for reading & thinking it over!
Old 09-13-06, 04:17 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
What cranks and BB (ie, square taper or octalink)? Other possibilities could be seat/seatpost/seat clamp (clue here is no sound with light pressure on pedals). If you have a quill stem, it might also be a culprit and need regreasing.
Old 09-13-06, 04:39 PM
Norm Smith
Masters Rider (OK... old)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Laika,

I've had that sound in the past. My LBS clued me in. It's probably the bolts on your chain rings. My LBS told me to remove my chain ring bolts, then put a little (I stress little) lube on the collar of the bolt ( but not on the threads).

That worked for me, hope it does for you.

Norm
Old 09-13-06, 05:33 PM
wagathon
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe a frozen chain link?
Old 09-13-06, 06:47 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wagathon
maybe a frozen chain link?
that's what i thought until i changed out the chain and cassette due to the broken chain...the problem persisted tho. thanks all for the suggestions.
Old 09-13-06, 06:48 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
What cranks and BB (ie, square taper or octalink)? Other possibilities could be seat/seatpost/seat clamp (clue here is no sound with light pressure on pedals). If you have a quill stem, it might also be a culprit and need regreasing.
thx!
Old 09-13-06, 06:50 PM
jqnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interface between cleat and pedal. Try slapping some grease on your cleats. If that diminishes or eliminates the click, could be time for new cleats.
Old 09-13-06, 06:55 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jqnj
Interface between cleat and pedal. Try slapping some grease on your cleats. If that diminishes or eliminates the click, could be time for new cleats.
I was thinking that on the way home so when I cot home, i pedalled around a bit wearing sneakers and got the same click.
Old 09-13-06, 07:05 PM
FXjohn

Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
If you put the bike on a stand and spin the bike with just the crank arms do you get it?
Can you change out a set of pedals? For some reason i think it's in your pedals
Old 09-13-06, 07:43 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
If you put the bike on a stand and spin the bike with just the crank arms do you get it?
Can you change out a set of pedals? For some reason i think it's in your pedals
no, it really only seems to come when i am putting force into it. they spin noislessly on the stand and even if i spin while coasting w/o really applying any force to the drivetrain.
Old 09-13-06, 09:05 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
regrease the bottom bracket threads and re torque. just took care of a tick on my ride exhibiting the same symptoms.
Old 09-13-06, 11:55 PM
ThatWhichRolls
Palcontent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same sound recently. I serviced the BB and went for a test ride and it was still present. On Bike Forums-sanctioned advice, I removed the pedals, greased the threads, and then put them back on and made sure they were nice and snug. That solved the problem for me.

OTOH, it's important to note that these sounds can be coming from almost *anywhere* in the bike...sound travels easily via hollow tubes, and everything's pretty damned close together in the first place. I'm just giving this advice as my symptoms were similar: the ticking only occurred while the pedals were in rotation and only under weightload...couldn't replicate it in the stand. If it's not the chainring bolts or the pedals, try removing, regreasing, and re-installing the seatpost. The slight shift of weight on various points of the saddle that happens during pedaling could be shifting the seatpost ever-so-slightly. Extra grease would reduce friction between the post and the seat tube, which in turn would mean a quieter ride. It's probably not a bad idea to do this anyway if it's been a while since the last greasing of the post. (no euphemism intended)
Old 09-14-06, 04:16 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I had the same problem with my son's Haro MTB. He is a clydesdale (6'-6" 240#) so he was getting a lot more noise out of it than I was. I finally came to the conclusion that the threads in the crank arm where the pedal goes in were stretched. I replaced the offending arm and the noise went a way. On his bike it was the left crank arm. I think it may have been caused by either a partial misthreading of the pedal during orginal installation, or a pedal loosened up and he rode it for a bit before the pedal got tightened up.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-20-06, 03:01 PM
Laika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all for the excellent suggestions. rowan and surferbruce win...it ended up being the bottom bracket after all, but a nice regreasing later, all's quiet and it's smooth, silent spinning. thanks again!
Old 09-20-06, 03:26 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you stand on the pedals (butt off the saddle), does the noise continue?
Old 09-20-06, 08:20 PM
RussB

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem. Only on the downstroke of the left pedal. It was there most of the time but not all the time. If I used less force on the pedal it would stop. And I couldn't recreate it on a stand. I have a triple in the front and changing gears made no difference.

The solution: the crank was slightly loose. I understood that a worn bearing in the crank will give the same sound