Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Any diabetics on the insulin pump?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 10:39 AM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just went on the pump two hours ago...I rode 13 miles to the Dr. and 13 back--this happens to be an identical commute to work as well (+2 miles)--anyway, I feel great (120 when I left, 98 @ 1/2 way had some carbs, and I was 98 when I got home).

Nevertheless, I have some general anxiety about my new "lifestyle" only because it is so different from the one I have been used to for these last 17 years...

Anybody have any suggestions? Tips for cycling (like where to put the dang thing)...resources I can use?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 10-09-06, 10:46 AM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not on the pump myself. I'm a T2 myself. Won't the pump fit in a jersey pocket? or perhaps you could wear a strap, like a chest strap from a HRM and clip it on to something like that.

Just be carefule the first few weeks until you can get everything adjusted properly. Are you using saline in it right now, or actually using insulin? Most of the people I know that have a pump were using a non insulin solution until they got used to everything, such as how to adjust the settings, giving an extra bolus, and cleaning the connections.

Anyway...I think its great that you got a pump. what kind did you get? minimed?
Old 10-09-06, 12:00 PM
rguysailing
There are no short cuts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey slim,
I've been a diabetic for 40 years and went on the pump 4 years ago. I will never go back to shots again. My control is soooo much better with A!C is in the low 6 range. When I ride I like to cut the bazal down by 50% because when I ride my blood sugar drops like a rock. How long have you been a diabetic? How old are you? What pump are you using?
Old 10-09-06, 12:44 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the minimed 722...I have been diabetic for 17 years and I will be turning 30 next month. I am glad to hear an endorsement for the pump, I have not heard anything negative about them, so long as you had decent control and discipline to begin with.

Congrats, rguysailing! 40 years with diabetes is something I am looking forward to! So, I guess I can loose my its tough to "teach an old dog new tricks" excuse!

And yeah, Modo, I will definintly be careful...like rguysailing, muy temp basal is 50% of my regular dose and that should do the trick...It will take some time to fiddle with the proper methods and adjustments but well worth it, I'm sure!

Rguysailing, have you noticed a difference in sensing low reactions? I am concerned that the slow influx of insulin will cause potential problems...or am I too concerned?
Old 10-09-06, 01:31 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
one more thing...do you guys know of anything that would make life easier...gadgets, software, that lycra chest strap for the pump?
Old 10-09-06, 01:37 PM
rguysailing
There are no short cuts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are to concerned. The reason I went on the pump is because I was haveing a hard time sensing a low blood sugar. Now I have time to feel the chang and do something about it. Looking back to when I was taking shots I thought I had control but not really. NOW I HAVE CONTROL and its so easy.

It will take a little time to get thing right but when its right you will love it.
Old 10-09-06, 01:40 PM
watchman

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on the pump for a few years and am very active- I'll have around 7,000 miles on the bike this year, running another marathon in feb, rock climb etc...
The pump has made all the difference in my ability to go harder for longer in everything I do. For riding I put my basal at 30% with and depending on circumstances I will lower the basal to 50-60 % an hour or more before the ride and keep it low after too. Lots of flexibility with the pump that makes control before/during/after long endurance possible.
As for carrying your pump, depends on the weather. If the temps are above 45-50 I will cary it in the middle jersey pocket. If colder below 45 or staying out in cooler weather for many hours, I have a carrier that I wear around my stomach, my body heat keeps the battery from dying and the insulin from getting too cold. If you go on Minimeds web site you can find a number of accessories for carrying your pump, some are good with adaption, some are crap.
Hope this helped.
Old 10-09-06, 02:18 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very helpful...great to know this stuff...
My doctor suggested the same, watchman, cut the basal in half for two hours after a good workout. I'll need to determine how soon before to reduce the level. Good tips on the temperature, I wouldn't have thought about that...

Thanks everyone! I will be checking this thread regularly, I hope it can help others as much as myself.
Old 10-09-06, 02:28 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
how do you guys handle peripheral neuropathy, {PN} of your lower extermities and bike riding., with concerns to the pain, muscle loss and different variations of foot problems
Old 10-09-06, 03:19 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
how do you guys handle peripheral neuropathy, {PN} of your lower extermities and bike riding., with concerns to the pain, muscle loss and different variations of foot problems
From what I understand there are two types, inherited and acquired. Diabetics that suffer PN would (mostly) fall under the acquired category and therefore it would have been more avoidable than someone that inhertied it from grandma or a genetic oddity (diabetes can be this too). PN in diabetics is a consequence of poor health and poor diabetes management and not an inevitability. So, for the most part, things like the insulin pump, balanced smart meals, regular exercise will all prevent PN.

I have no problems with my circulation; I play soccer and cycle. I have no pain other than what is considered normal work out related mussle tear and fatigue...
Old 10-10-06, 05:42 AM
Gordonm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been a type 1 for 32 years now. 43 years old. I am going on the pump next Tuesday. I have the MM 522. I can't wait. I will read more of these posts in depth tonight when I have a chance but this is all good info. Almost everyone who goes on the pump loves it. I don't know why I waited so long. I have been in good health so far, no complications and an A1C of around 5.8 to 6.4. Always looking for better control. Lots of lows, need to get rid of them.
Old 10-10-06, 06:49 AM
rguysailing
There are no short cuts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gordonm,

Those are great A1C's for not being on a pump :-)
Old 10-10-06, 02:32 PM
Cyclingmaniac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fellow diabetics:

I'm a T2 and fortunately under tight control of blood sugar levels. I don't use a pump, but have been diabetic for 25 years. I'm in awe of your numbers and your ability to get out and actively participate in cycling with pumps! You people ROCK!

Suggestion on any diabetic monitoring equipment: Contact the manufacturers (like Accu-Check for glucometers) and ask them to create a product or system where you can attach your monitor to the handlebar or a place on the bike. Let's start a campaign! The more that speak up about the needs, the faster they will respond. Another suggestion might be to attach your pump to your heart rate monitor belt/strap.

There are more and more diabetics out on two wheels than ever before!
Old 10-10-06, 03:01 PM
watchman

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankfully no PN here either so I am unable to anwer that question. One thing to pay attention to, I have noticed, is what basal rate you are in relative to your workout. For example if you have a higher basal rate in the afternoon and workout after work, you may need to lower your basal a greater percentage than in the morning where you have a lower basal. This is an issue for me when I work days and bike commute, my BG drops like a rock about 10 mins into the ride home, even when I lower my basal to 30% an hour or more before and eat a bar of some sort. Your results will vary.
Old 10-10-06, 03:35 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclingmaniac
Fellow diabetics:
The more that speak up about the needs, the faster they will respond. Another suggestion might be to attach your pump to your heart rate monitor belt/strap.
oooohhhh! I like this idea! (Although I doubt insurance will pick it up! HA!)
Old 10-10-06, 03:48 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclingmaniac
Fellow diabetics:
Another suggestion might be to attach your pump to your heart rate monitor belt/strap.
Great idea, but I read your post too quickly. I thought you were suggesting a heart rate monitor that would talk to the glucometer...all the info in one device. The continuous glucose monitering system would be great for this...you could study IN DEPTH your rate of exercise as it directly impacts your blood glucose... I suppose this would also help study the effects of stress on BG.

Gordonm, congrats!

This is my second day and I have had to change the absorption site already, but I already like the freedom...I have bumped it a bunch of times too (chairs, walls, the podium in my classroom) I know it is strong, but still makes my heart skip...
Old 10-10-06, 04:32 PM
JLauren
Skybird

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 years as a type 1 and a bit over half that using a pump. IMHO, a pump is the way to go. The downsides of more expensive supplies and living with this little "pocket pancreas" more than outweights the flexibility and control you get.

As for riding, I use a belt clip on my pump and clip it to the waistband on my shorts. You probably have a choice of reducing your basal rates, or eating before, during,, and after your rides to compensate. Since I'm going to be eating more anyway, I chose the latter, eating as I go. I worked out a schedule by checking my BG right after rides of gradually increasing length until I got to the time/distance I was looking for. I think I have a stable situation now with a pack of peanutbutter crackers every 25km.

For for accessories I use a large Dia-Pak (available from most places that sell diabetic supplies) to carry my supplies, which includes a spare infusion set and reservoir. More than once I've had to change out an infusion set at work when one came loose during a lunchtime workout. A wide variety of cases, clips, holsters, etc... are available.

Be prepared to expriment to find out what works best for you. All the advice here and elsewhere is just a starting point, or something to try. This is a very individual condition, and we're all different. My biggest light-bulb moment with diabetes came when I realized that doctors cannot treat it. The *patient* has to do the treatment. The doctors, nurses, nutritionists, *ologists, BF posts, etc... all provide useful information and advice, but treatment is entirely in the hands of the patient.

While I'm here, let me suggest a couple of books I've found very helpful:

"Think Like a Pancreas: A User's Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin" by Gary Scheiner, ISBN: 1569244367

"Psyching out Diabetes: A Positive Approach to Your Negative Emotions" by Richard L. Rubin, June Biermann, Barbara Toohey, ISBN: 0737302585

I highly recommend both.
Old 10-11-06, 08:20 AM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=JLauren]...a pump is the way to go. The downsides of more expensive supplies and living with this little "pocket pancreas" more than outweights the flexibility and control you get.

???...I assume you mean that a pump IS worth it. And yes, you are absolutly correct, everything here are simply suggestions, and need to be adopted to your physiology.
Old 10-11-06, 05:36 PM
Cyclingmaniac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attaching/Combining HR Monitor and Glucometer/Pump?

This is where ideas are born . . . through exchange of information! I was suggesting just strapping your pump to the strap of the heart rate monitor. But you hinted to another solution ... why can't they combine a glucometer with a HR Monitor system or the bike computer? Hmmmmmm!
Old 10-11-06, 06:13 PM
JLauren
Skybird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=slim_77]
Originally Posted by JLauren
...a pump is the way to go. The downsides of more expensive supplies and living with this little "pocket pancreas" more than outweights the flexibility and control you get.

???...I assume you mean that a pump IS worth it. And yes, you are absolutly correct, everything here are simply suggestions, and need to be adopted to your physiology.
Yeah... I meant to say that "the downsides are more than outweighed by the flexibility and control..."

So much for ESL .
Old 10-11-06, 08:51 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife teaches bilingual/ESL clases...if you need help just ask!

Have you or anyone else heard about a Diabetics Exercise & Sport Association? What is it (besides the obvious!)? Are they national? Is there a cycling branch? A nurse mentioned it to me, I guess some guy at medtronic is involved or runs it.

...just fishing.
Old 10-12-06, 07:38 PM
JLauren
Skybird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slim_77
Have you or anyone else heard about a Diabetics Exercise & Sport Association? What is it (besides the obvious!)? Are they national? Is there a cycling branch? A nurse mentioned it to me, I guess some guy at medtronic is involved or runs it.
You mean these guys: https://www.diabetes-exercise.org/index.asp ?
Old 10-13-06, 05:01 AM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JLauren
Yep, that is them...I found the site (after I posted) but was wondering if anyone here was or had been involved. They are trying to revive the Chicago chapter with a meeting on 10/28 and I was thinking of attending...just to check it out.
Old 10-17-06, 03:15 PM
Gordonm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just fired my pump up about two hours ago. I went for my training today and all went well. Now the fun starts of getting all the rates set correctly. Looking forward to the increased flexability for sure.
Old 10-17-06, 07:15 PM
slim_77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordonm
Just fired my pump up about two hours ago. I went for my training today and all went well. Now the fun starts of getting all the rates set correctly. Looking forward to the increased flexability for sure.
Congrats! It is nice to have a supportive online group that will answer questions that are perhaps too mortal for the docs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.