Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Skid Patch Theorem

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Skid Patch Theorem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 03:08 PM
Fraction

Bikes: 2008 ZR Cycles track, 1985 schwinn peloton, 1983 univega gran turismo, fixed gear beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skid Patch Theorem

Theorem:
Let a / b be the reduced gear ratio (that is, a and b are integers with no common divisors other than 1). Then,
(1) With single-sided skidding, there are b skid patches, and
(2) Ambidexterous skidding doubles the number of skid patches if and only if a is odd.
(1) is already well-known. It is proved here for completeness.
(2) is generally not known and disproves several conjectures seen recently.

Proof of (1):
Turning the pedals through one revolution turns the wheel through a / b revolutions. Turning the pedals through b revolutions turns the wheel through b * (a / b) = a revolutions. That is, after b pedal revolutions, the wheel is returned to the same position it was originally (since a is an integer). So there must be no more than b skid patches, since the same cycle of b wheel positions will be repeated through every b pedal revolutions.

Now suppose that two of the intermediate wheel positions were the same, say, after i and j pedal revolutions (0 <= i < j < b). Then j - i pedal revolultions also returns the wheel to its original position, so (j - i) * a / b is an integer. Thus b must evenly divide (j - i) * a / b. However, a and b have no common divisors, so b must evenly divide j - i. But j - i is less than b, so this cannot happen. Therefore, all b of the intermediate wheel positions (after 0, 1, 2, ..., and b-1 pedal revolutions) are different. So there must be no fewer than b skid patches.

There are no more than b skid patches and there are no fewer than b skid patches, so there must be exactly b skid patches.
Proof of (2):
As above, turning the pedals through one revolution turns the rear wheel through a / b revolutions. Turning the pedals through one half-revolution turns the rear wheel through half as many revolutions. So the number of skid patches with ambidexterous skidding should be the same as that with single-sided skidding on a gear ratio half as large. Now to apply (1) to this situation, we need to know how 1/2 * a/b reduces as an integer ratio. This depends on whether a is even or odd. If a is even, (a/2) / b is the reduced ratio, so there are b skid patches, as in the single-sided case. If a is odd, a / (2b) is the reduced ratio, so there are 2b skid patches.
Old 11-02-06, 03:11 PM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yup. we were just talking about this earlier in the week. i was thinking that a AND b need to be odd, but i agree with you that it's just a (not that it matters what i agree with, nice proof )
Old 11-02-06, 03:14 PM
maxknee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nerdy
Old 11-02-06, 05:01 PM
dylandom
Velorution

Bikes: Bareknuckle, IRO, Bianchi Pista concept 2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
omg what did u get in differential and calc 3. don't tell me, an A. i'm going to go over ur theorem with the math club tonight. hopefully ur right.
Old 11-02-06, 05:09 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 11-02-06, 05:13 PM
lasertotheface
horray for bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i didnt even read it.
Old 11-02-06, 08:57 PM
endform
blacksheep the blemish

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur (manufactured by panasonic), Italvega Super Speciale (fixed, primary ride now), Kona 2004 JTS 10 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jesus, I was trying to blow off my number theory homework not do extra curricular work.

Anyways, nice proof.
Old 11-02-06, 09:16 PM
dommer
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no ****ing way am i reading that
Old 11-03-06, 12:48 AM
Analog
Bike fiend.

Bikes: Giant STP SS, Trek 400 (Fixed), 1970's Orion, Huffy Flatbed BMX, Vintage Huffy Kids Cruzer, Vintage Sears Cruiser, Trek Prototype Frame (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I nominate this thread for "Best Title of the Week"
Old 11-03-06, 01:23 AM
Moximitre
dig dig dig

Bikes: Full Fendered Bareknuckle, Faggin with 10spd Centaur, 1973 Raleigh 3spd Cruiser.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just rotate your tire a few degress every so often. prob. = solved
Old 11-03-06, 07:13 AM
stevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moximitre
just rotate your tire a few degress every so often. prob. = solved
or your cog (relative to the same links)
Old 11-03-06, 08:31 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Maybe its time to update my SP chart and put the ones to double for ambi in italics or somesuch. Last update was may-05

Old 11-03-06, 02:49 PM
WakeUpOnFire

Bikes: 1989 trek 330 fixed gear conversion, fuji something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 03-27-07, 12:17 PM
testtube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've added a "skid patch analysis" function to rabbit showing the conclusion of Fraction's SPT is valid.

Check it out at https://software.bareknucklebrigade.com if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: png
rabbit-screenshot-2.png (40.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 03-27-07, 12:38 PM
jamey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like bikes...
Old 03-27-07, 07:23 PM
nexus6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just run a 17t cog, problem solved!
Old 03-27-07, 07:33 PM
thatcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
theres a book called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon it has a cool discription of how code machines work n it uses a bike to describe it.
Old 03-27-07, 09:26 PM
TimArchy

Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatcher
theres a book called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon it has a cool discription of how code machines work n it uses a bike to describe it.
I read that book and the only part I found really interesting was the story about the one mathematician who had a bad tooth on his cog and a stiff link in his chain which, when they hit in a particular spot, would drop the chain. He would keep track in his head how many pedal revolutions it would take between instances where the bad tooth and stiff link would meet. Whenever it came around he would stop, get off and rotate the cranks one turn and get back on.

This was when I was a math major but yet to get into bikes.
Old 03-28-07, 01:39 AM
shogun17
Sheldon Brown's posse

Bikes: BMC SL01, XtC, Rhythm GX and a frankenstein avalanche 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok. I am having a little trouble understanding exactly what a skid patch is. I'll take a guess and say every rotation of the pedals you lock up the wheels once or twice (single-sided or ambidextrous)?
Old 03-28-07, 05:49 AM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ask and ye shall be linked:
https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#skid

edit: if the theorem above is correct, and it looks like it is, the sentence should read:

If you are an ambidextrous skidder, and the simplified ratio has an even numerator, your number of skid patches will be the same.

If you are an ambidextrous skidder, and the numerator and denominator is odd, the number of possible skid patches will be doubled.

to be fair, i was the one who called sheldon out on this originally, and being the reasonable person he is, he changed his site to reflect it. turns out we were both wrong
Old 03-28-07, 05:51 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shogun17
ok. I am having a little trouble understanding exactly what a skid patch is.
A skid patch is the spot on your tire where the rubber wears down from skidding. Since skidding generally only happens at two different points on the chainring rotation, the location of skid patches on the tire (and their quantity) can be calculated by looking at the number of teeth on the cog and chainring (the gear ratio).
Old 03-28-07, 05:51 AM
shogun17
Sheldon Brown's posse

Bikes: BMC SL01, XtC, Rhythm GX and a frankenstein avalanche 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah thankyou. That explains a lot.

get a brake.
Old 03-28-07, 06:45 AM
oldsprinter
oldsprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyphotons

edit: if the theorem above is correct, and it looks like it is, the sentence should read:

If you are an ambidextrous skidder, and the simplified ratio has an even numerator, your number of skid patches will be the same.

If you are an ambidextrous skidder, and the numerator and denominator is odd, the number of possible skid patches will be doubled.

to be fair, i was the one who called sheldon out on this originally, and being the reasonable person he is, he changed his site to reflect it. turns out we were both wrong
The photos on that page are shocking!
Old 03-28-07, 08:06 AM
FridgeRobot
Loners

Bikes: 1980s Schwin Sprint SS, IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nexus6
You just run a 17t cog, problem solved!
truth
Old 03-28-07, 10:20 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtyphotons

Look here, according to Fraction the denominator doesn't have to be odd. Only the numerator matters. I just want to get clear on this because everyone's website says a different thing and Fraction's result is backed up by his proof (which looks OK to me, but ought to be checked by someone better at math) as well as Rabbit's brute force algorithm.

Originally Posted by fraction
Let a / b be the reduced gear ratio (that is, a and b are integers with no common divisors other than 1). Then,
(2) Ambidexterous skidding doubles the number of skid patches if and only if a is odd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.