Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

clipless and platforms

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

clipless and platforms

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 09:12 AM
bfloyd

Bikes: vintage Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clipless and platforms

So, what seems to be the going pedal for single speeds, clipless or platforms? Maybe a mix of both? Mostly urban setting riding . . .
Old 12-02-06, 10:41 AM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use your hands.
Old 12-02-06, 11:04 AM
veggiemafia
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I hate to say it, because I think it won the poll for "Most Annoying BFSSFG Cliché," but there are some situations where it's just so perfect...

Do a search.
Old 12-02-06, 02:14 PM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ummmmmm, why would you want the hassle/restrictions of clipless, for a ss commuter? do you like tap dancing? cause you can just wear tap shoes with platforms if you'd like.
Old 12-02-06, 02:27 PM
In Absentia
Wolfman got nards!

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Volpe, '09 Mercier Kilo TT, '08 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustang
ummmmmm, why would you want the hassle/restrictions of clipless, for a ss commuter? do you like tap dancing? cause you can just wear tap shoes with platforms if you'd like.
Oh, please. If you wear some decent mtb clipless shoes, they're just as easy to walk in as regular shoes.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. –Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 12-02-06, 02:30 PM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by In Absentia
Oh, please. If you wear some decent mtb clipless shoes, they're just as easy to walk in as regular shoes.
Its true. I know a lot of people who will wear clipless shoes all day. For me, I feel much more connected to the bike with clipless pedals than toe-clips. In the end, ride what you want.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 12-02-06, 02:32 PM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fine, but you're still wearing cycling shoes for absolutely no reason. this means either you have to keep them on thruought your day, or you have to carry a change of shoes with you...all for what gain? what possible advantages would there be to clipless on a commuter?
Old 12-02-06, 02:59 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fine, but you're still wearing cycling shoes for absolutely no reason. this means either you have to keep them on thruought your day, or you have to carry a change of shoes with you...all for what gain? what possible advantages would there be to clipless on a commuter?

or you could leave a pair of shoes at work. Clipless has the same advantages for commuting as it does for everything else. Granted performance is not quite as important as it is in a race but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all. For many of us clips and straps feel like **** in comparison to clipless and after riding clipless for so long it's just annoying to try to use clips and straps.
Old 12-02-06, 03:21 PM
Rattlebag

Bikes: Yes please

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a member five minutes and I'm already bored of clipless v platforms. Beginning to think that the people that participate in these debates have really short memory spans.
Old 12-02-06, 03:27 PM
bfloyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't referring to toe clips but rather flat platforms. Not commuting either, just urban townie stuff.
Old 12-02-06, 04:05 PM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dutret,
we're talking SS, not fixed. also we're talking clipless vs. platform. no mention of clips.

what does 'urban townie' mean? liquor store? grocery store, etc?
clipless would be total overkill.
Old 12-02-06, 05:24 PM
sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The benefit to clipless (or toe clips) is that it will allow you to pull the pedal through the entire stroke, as opposed to just pushing down on the pedals like you do with a platform. This is only an issue if you are trying to accelerate quickly, or going uphill. I find that, especially on a single speed, being able to pull the pedals up makes climbing much easier. If you have hills in the area that you will be frequently going up, clipless is a good idea. In extreme cases (riding down flights of stairs) they will also keep your foot from sliding off the pedals.
If you have used clipless pedals before and like them, go ahead and put them on your ss. if you are just going to ride to the bar and cruise around the neighborhood, platforms will be easier.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 12-02-06, 06:05 PM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dutret,
we're talking SS, not fixed. also we're talking clipless vs. platform. no mention of clips.
I am talking ss, fixed, 3speed, 9speed, 30 speed whatever you commute on clipless has the same advantages though some may be slightly more pronounced with fixed or ss.

platforms without clips are absurd for commuting. I assumed we where talking about platforms with clips. Platforms without clips are for beach cruisers trials and freestyle bikes.
Old 12-02-06, 07:18 PM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fine, but you're still wearing cycling shoes for absolutely no reason.
No, you're wearing the shoes because they kick ass when you are on the bike. To me it is definitely worth it to commute in clipless carrying another pair of shoes. Hell, I'm carrying my lunch and change of clothes anyways, what's a pair of shoes?
Old 12-02-06, 07:20 PM
BodiesOfLight
Hey.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-02-06, 08:39 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
No, you're wearing the shoes because they kick ass when you are on the bike. To me it is definitely worth it to commute in clipless carrying another pair of shoes. Hell, I'm carrying my lunch and change of clothes anyways, what's a pair of shoes?
So what happens when you have lots of errands to do. You take them on and off? When do the benefits of clipless outweight the annoyance of having to swap shoes everytime you go somewhere?
Old 12-02-06, 09:03 PM
akaio

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik (2007) & Bridgestone RB-2 (1994).

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
So what happens when you have lots of errands to do. You take them on and off? When do the benefits of clipless outweight the annoyance of having to swap shoes everytime you go somewhere?
Well Get some MTB shoes that you can walk around in reasonably comfortably.
I leave a pair of regular shoes at work to change into when I get there (cause im gonna be wearing them quite possibly for 8hrs and not on my bike). But if I need to run to the grocery/hardware store or something. I just take my bike cleats. I mean they arent any kind of super-cushiony-running-shoe, but you can walk fine in them.

I use some Izumi Vagabond shoes (I bought them simply based off what felt the best and what was in my price range).

But there are some companies that are really blurring the lines between bike shoes and street shoes. I think I saw some from both Shimano and Adias.
Old 12-02-06, 09:09 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the OP: What shoes do you normally use for riding? If you normally ride clipless, stick with it. If you ride platform, use those.

I ride with clipless pedals, and switching to platforms feels disconnected, odd, and kind of dangerous to me at this point (kind of like driving with no seatbelt on). I have walkable shoes (I could walk for hours in them honestly) and I wouldn't think of riding without them. It is no inconvenience to me, but I am used to them. YMMV.
Old 12-03-06, 07:44 AM
bfloyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what was at first called an annoying thread sure is getting quite a few hits and debates

I have been riding clipless for years and must agree that at times when I would just want to jump on the bike and do whatever really quick, the thought of just throwing on the 'ole shoes and go would be nice. I remember trying clipless in my bmx days when people first started trying them for motos and always preferred my platforms. A good bmx type platform will give a good grip.

I guess I could get a hybrid shoe that has SPD compatibility while not a too aggressive sole for walking and blending in more as normal looking shoes . . . maybe like the Lake MX60 or something and use the platform/clipless combo pedals.
Old 12-03-06, 07:53 AM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
The only time I bring an extra pair is when I'm going to work, where wearing my MTB shoes is frowned upon (office job). When I'm running errands, I just wear the MTB shoes all day. When I go to races or events out of town, I'll wear the shoes all day. No problem.
Old 12-03-06, 10:34 AM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sivat
...I feel much more connected to the bike with clipless pedals...
Because you are connected to the bike.
Become reality to me
Old 12-03-06, 11:50 AM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bfloyd
For what was at first called an annoying thread sure is getting quite a few hits and debates
dont get excited, we'll argue about absolutely everything here.

i maintain my position that if you're building a bike to ride to the bar or the store every once in a while, clipless is completely overkill. the fact that you even asked this question further proves that it's unecessary, since if you'd grown so accustomed to clipless that you felt you couldnt be without them, you wouldnt have bothered.
Old 12-03-06, 08:57 PM
slopvehicle
ass hatchet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barba
I ride with clipless pedals, and switching to platforms feels disconnected, odd, and kind of dangerous to me at this point...
I've been on clipless for mtb / clips + straps for road fixed for a couple years now and that's how it feels when I hop on a bike that has no foot retention system. Even beefy BMX pedals with studs.
Old 12-03-06, 09:42 PM
mncplfreedom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work clipless, and race clipless, but wear PF Flyers on said pedals when I am just doing point a-b errand/commuting stuff.

If you spend a lot of time on the bike in less than ideal weather, it's not so bad being able to trade yr pair of soggy cycling shoes for more civilized footwear, as opposed to being stuck with compromised kicks in the interim.
Old 12-03-06, 10:10 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i ride with platforms + clips it feels like my bicycle is broken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.