Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

biking in france

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 09:53 AM
rharrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
biking in france

I am going to France next summer for the TDF. I would like to bike the Alp D'huez, Mont Ventoux and Col du Tourmalet on mountain bike. I will be in France for a month starting and ending in Paris. Should I get a bike in Paris and get a bike rack on my rental car or try to get a bike at each town close to these mountain rides? I have decided not to ship my own bike over. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-06, 10:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
I'd get a bike in Paris and take it with you. I don't recall seeing obvious places to rent a MTB in any of the 3 areas you're mentioning. Besides, a lot easier to get one bike fitted, and set up with your seat and pedals, than repeating the process 3 times.
Old 12-08-06, 05:33 PM
marmotte

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc
I am going to France next summer for the TDF. I would like to bike the Alp D'huez, Mont Ventoux and Col du Tourmalet on mountain bike. I will be in France for a month starting and ending in Paris. Should I get a bike in Paris and get a bike rack on my rental car or try to get a bike at each town close to these mountain rides? I have decided not to ship my own bike over. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi rharrison,
are you really fixed upon Alpe d'Huez and Mont Ventoux? I Think, the most interesting, fascinating and deciding stage will be that of Iseran, Télégraphe and Galibier in ONE day. Take this one instead of the others.
Don't try to get a bike close to the TDF events (there will be none). If you need some accomodation in this area, please ask via PM. If you visit my homepage (click translation flag) you will have a first impression of what you'll see on your way from the alpine region to the pyrennees.
marmotte
Old 12-08-06, 05:45 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I suspect if you think it possible to rent the bike of your dreams at every stopping point, it would take extreme luck. My fear, your want the chosen bike, I'd rent it somewhere in Paris and lug it about on a bike rack.
Old 12-10-06, 10:11 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took my bike over in 2004, and went to the Tour as well as Germany, England, Belgium, and Holland. I took my own bike primarily because I'm really picky about how the position is set up. In your case, the cost of buying a rack and frequently renting a bike is money that could go towards purchasing a hard shell bike case for the flight. The airline allowed me to count the bike box as one piece of luggage, rather than charging extra. So, it might be worth reconsidering shipping it over. I will admit though, that I had a friend in Germany where I could leave the bike box instead of taking it with me. That made it easier to fit my bike inside my rental car.

If you still want to get a bike over there, I'd consider either renting one in Paris for the month, or buying one and bringing it back as a souvenir. You should be able to get a cardboard box from a bike shop for the flight back home. When I was at Alpe d'Huez, I did not see anywhere to rent bikes. In fact, driving there late at night, I wondered if I was indeed going the right direction - it's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere (in a good way). The view from the mountain at night is nice because there is not a lot of light pollution. But back to your topic, I think you'd spend a significant amount of time finding a place to rent, completing the paperwork, getting the bike set up, returning the bike, etc. every time you went from town to town.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures when you get back!
Old 12-10-06, 07:32 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
one suggestion. I just took a flight from within Europe. Watch out for more strict weight standards if its within EU. You weight allowance between North America and Europe is almost double the European standard.
Old 12-12-06, 09:38 PM
AtlAllez

Bikes: Specalized Allez Elite and Vintage Vitus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DO NOT RENT A BIKE THERE. I went to france this summer intending to do alot of riding. I drove all around france looking for good road bikes to rent. They do not exist. I emailed 10 places that all said they carried good road bikes. To my absolute horror all any place had were touring bikes or rusted out mountain bikes. I might cost you some serious cash but, bring your bike if you possibly can.
Old 12-13-06, 03:36 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
If you travel frequently, another option is to pick up a coupled travel bike or folding bike.

Bikes with couplers are usually 700c wheels, and can be touring or road bikes. Co-Motion makes some good travel bikes. You can also retrofit a bike with S&S couplers (unless it's made out of aluminum).

Folding bikes typically use 20" wheels, and are easier to transport. You do not need a car rack, as you can just fold it down and toss it in the trunk. The best manufacturer for travel bikes is Bike Friday, which does fully customizable bikes (both geometry/setup and components). If you're on a budget, get a Xootr Swift and change the gearing to suit the hills.
Old 12-14-06, 01:19 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Liked 921 Times in 479 Posts
We brought our bikes for the '04 Tour and borrowed/rented soft carrying cases for them from a local bike shop. There's a better chance a soft carrying case will fit in your rental car than a hard case. Better yet, find a place you can leave the case during your stay, if you'll be returning to that spot. If you do this, practice your packing and re-assembly before you go to iron out any bugs and to have a firm grasp on what tools you need. For instance, my threadless headset would not adjust properly once I re-assembled it in France. I found a work-around, but it was a hassle. I don't recall seeing any places to rent bicycles either, but then I wasn't really looking. Wrap all your bike's tubes in inexpensive foam house pipe insulation when packing. The bagage handlers beat the bajesus out of those cases. Have fun.
Old 12-19-06, 07:46 PM
senlanhu
senlanhu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool...

have a nice trip...
Old 12-20-06, 03:52 PM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rented a nice road bike in Saint Lary-Soulan in 05. Rented it the day before even. You just have to look hard. I'm not sure why the OP wants a Mtn Bike though. Getting a road bike with a triple is pretty easy, its lighter and you'll have way less rolling resistance for the 15% grades....
Old 12-21-06, 09:05 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by AtlAllez
DO NOT RENT A BIKE THERE. I went to france this summer intending to do alot of riding. I drove all around france looking for good road bikes to rent. They do not exist. I emailed 10 places that all said they carried good road bikes. To my absolute horror all any place had were touring bikes or rusted out mountain bikes. I might cost you some serious cash but, bring your bike if you possibly can.
I concur. I was in the south of France the year before, and the only bikes I could find to rent were heavy cruiser type bikes. While great for the cobble stone streets in some areas, not exactly a long road tour type bike.
Old 12-30-06, 12:42 AM
Beethoven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know for a fact that you can rent pretty classy road bikes in Bourg d'Oisans, just at the foot of L'Alpe d'Huez, in that bike store in town in the pedestrian zone. You might have to reserve, though.
Old 12-30-06, 05:12 AM
POTFH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know for sure you can rent a road bike in Valloire just at the foot of Galibier and a short drive to Alpe d'Huez. We didn't rent and got bikes the day after the tour went thru last year. Good luck!
Old 01-02-07, 07:10 AM
I saw Elvis

Bikes: Colnago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I'd take mine with me, a month on a bike that isn't yours is a long time and a lot of pain.
If you're looking for places to stay around Le tour - good luck. If you want to see Le tour I'd contact sportingtours.co.uk - they take coaches out to the race, will carry your bike and will book all the hotel rooms for you - all you need to do is turn up.