Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

why aren't dc riders friendly?!?!

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 11:32 AM
bluehorizons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i got out for the first time this year sat, sun, & mon -- i only saw a handful of serious riders, and always at least flick a few fingers off the bar in offering up a simple hello. but nobody ever returns the favor. well, i guess maybe 1 in 10 -- still poor! i thought cyclists were friendly! what happended to the good ol' days?!?!

happy mlk day!
Old 01-15-07, 05:30 PM
Bob N.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I don't even get a return nod 50% of the time, makes me want to stop which is sad. Sometimes folks don't see it though, or aren't sure, or it doesn't register quickly enough.
Old 01-15-07, 06:53 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys shouldn't let it bother you
most people are out to ride, not make friends
i try to nod at passing cyclists. if i get 50% response i consider it a unusually busy day. considering how many bikes i see out there i sometimes feel like a bobblehead.

are you talking about the roads or the trails?
Old 01-15-07, 08:03 PM
SMN21601
Just ignore the wind...

Bikes: Mountain & Touring bikes...so far.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree...many other cyclists appear to be unfriendly by not returning waves or head nods etc. but if they want to be snobs or anti-social, that is their problem! I make an effort to great all fellow cyclists when I'm out and about...maybe it will catch on.
Old 01-16-07, 08:44 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the '50s and '60s when I drove sportscars, their drivers always waved to each other. Except for Porsche drivers of course. But as they became more and more prevalent, people seemed to stop for the most part.

Now I find that xB drivers (including me) are doing it again. It has something to do with exclusivity, I think.
Old 01-16-07, 08:47 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll wave, I promise.

I usually do, especially when other folks catch me looking at their bikes...
Old 01-16-07, 09:07 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was out Saturday and Sunday riding the trails around DC and it was fairly crowded which I think leads to non waving because there are just so many people to wave too. People got more social once the density died down a bit (Northwest Branch & Indian Creak trails.) Anyway I’ll wave or nod if you see me.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 01-18-07, 02:45 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I ride I hardly notice riders passing in the opposite direction. those that I do see, though, will get a friendly wave or head nod from me!
Old 01-18-07, 03:03 PM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
we're plenty friendly, but we're also paying attention to the road/trail.
Old 01-18-07, 06:41 PM
hoodoo40

Bikes: 2007 Novaro Randonee & 1984 Specialize Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes wave, sometimes I'm elsewhere (brainwise) and I'm not quick enough to wave back. So here you go:

Can't just wave here, so I'll wave a beer >>>
Old 01-18-07, 09:02 PM
Vitamin_J

Bikes: Giant OCR3 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to head east a little. Plenty of riders waving around the Chesapeake. Oh and the scenery aint half bad neither hon.
Old 01-25-07, 04:26 PM
Dunvegan67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waving/nodding in DE

Most people I come across when riding in Northern DE and Southeastern Pa seem to say hi, wave, or at least nod when you say hi. I'd say at least half of them offer greetings on their own, so I wonder if that's a regional thing, or just sheer cooincidence that maybe the people who happened to be out the day you were riding were mainly asses. Could've just been a roll of the dice! Some times when I'm walking down the street
I notice that the people I run across are friendly, then on a different day, on the same street the people seem to be more rude and apathetic. Just chance I guess. Whats funny though, I bought a Harley Sportster last June, and I noticed when I'm out riding it, people on other bikes will wave at me as I ride by. So I figured it's 'motorcycle etiquette', so I started waving at other bikers as I see them. Would't want to seem rude!
Old 01-25-07, 04:47 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunvegan67
.......maybe the people who happened to be out the day you were riding were mainly asses.
A rather harsh negative conclusion to which to jump. Asses because they didn't wave?
Old 01-25-07, 06:10 PM
Dunvegan67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Common Courtesy... thats all

Originally Posted by webist
A rather harsh negative conclusion to which to jump. Asses because they didn't wave?

I was agreeing with the original point made that if you say hi, or wave to someone, and they look into your eyes and dont have the basic courtesy to return the greeting in at least some fashion, thats rude! Unless they are busy, and dont see you. Its really not a big deal, I just replied to the original post. I'm not particularly bothered if someone doesn't return the basic human courtesy of a hello or a wave, but it is kinda rude. So as to your question: Yes, I think ass would be an accurate description! I was born in N.C., and I was taught, and believe in common courtesy, if thats a problem...sue me!
Old 01-26-07, 08:35 AM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i think it's really more related to where you're used to riding. out on the paths, i try to say hello as often as i can. or if i'm on an uncrowded street in a neighborhood. but i'd never even consider diverting my attention in city traffic. no amount of courtesy is worth that.

i think many of us who commute in the city stay in "city mode" by default for safety reasons, even when we'd be fine letting our guard down for a bit. so to those i've ignored:

HI! *waves*
Old 01-26-07, 08:38 AM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh yeah, in the interest of friendliness. i'm "leading" a ride out to the old dominion brewery tomorrow. ride starts in georgetown by the key bridge, should be about 50 miles round trip at a relaxed pace.

i'd love it if any of you could make it out. cheers!

-john
Old 01-26-07, 09:25 AM
Relaxer
Tora Tora Tora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that I'm guity of responding to a wave or a "hi there" with a blank stare, but it's totally not malicious or arrogant. When I bike, especially when I'm training or doing laps at Haines Point, I totally zone out and focus on every ache and pain in my body, on the road, on my speed, etc. Often someone will greet me, and I'll hear it and look up, but honestly I won't register what was actually said for 5-10 seconds.

And then to actually shake out of my trance and work up a response is usually another lapse of time. So by the time I'm saying "Hi!" back to you, you're already home and in the shower.
Old 01-26-07, 01:12 PM
Dunvegan67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To greet or not to greet, that is the question:

Originally Posted by dirtyphotons
i think it's really more related to where you're used to riding. out on the paths, i try to say hello as often as i can. or if i'm on an uncrowded street in a neighborhood. but i'd never even consider diverting my attention in city traffic. no amount of courtesy is worth that.

i think many of us who commute in the city stay in "city mode" by default for safety reasons, even when we'd be fine letting our guard down for a bit. so to those i've ignored:

HI! *waves*

Couldn't agree more. Its definitely different in city situations than in small towns or areas where you are only confronted by the occasional person. I also cant believe that I've devoted this much time to discussing the unspoken rules of 'greeting etiquette'. Clearly I have too much time on my hands as a self employed landscape designer in the middle of winter! Must find something to do....How about a discussion on how far off the trail one should wander when relieving yourself if 'nature calls' when you're riding? Is it acceptable simply to walk behind the nearest tree, or would it be more appropriate to journey a certain distance off the trail before you begin? Just kidding......(unless anyone wishes to opine)