Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Repair Table With Table Mounted Tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 08:53 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to convert a small basement room for bike storage and tools. It's about 8' x 10', and I'd like to place a bike repair table in the room. The repairs would be more in the line of preventive maintenance, but I'd like a table that is also good when I gradually progress upward in scope of repairs on my bike.

Any particular manufacture and model of repair tables that you would recommend (and why), along with basic table mounted tools to begin with? An example of table mounted tools I can think of would be perhaps a clamp for working on chrome or aluminum (won't scratch parts) and a vice for the sturdy bike components.

Along with recommending repair tables, what would be good table mounted tools that either come with the table ... or can be mounted onto a bike repair table?
Old 02-26-07, 09:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by a "repair table". A workbench? A bike repair stand? Both?
Old 02-26-07, 09:15 AM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm not sure what you mean by a "repair table". A workbench? A bike repair stand? Both?
Sorry for the confusion. You're right, I'm talking more of a workbench. Later on (or sooner ), I'll be checking into repair stands for raising/inverting the bike.

So, I could use suggestions on bike-specific workbenches ... and suggestions about workbench-mounted tools (devices).
Old 02-26-07, 09:56 AM
vpiuva

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Put a pegboard on the wall for organizing wrenches and the like. Sorry I'm not much help with the workbench - but you'll want the pegboard anyway.
Old 02-26-07, 09:59 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
You can probably make your own bench cheaper. I've used an old hardwood table top and made a frame from 2X4's
Old 02-26-07, 10:08 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I made mine from 2x4s and plywood. Tools hang on peg board, and I mounted a vise at one end. Sears, Home Depot, most major hardware stores have workbenches you can buy.

Last edited by jsharr; 02-26-07 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 10:56 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Here is a way to use a prehung door as a fold away workbench

Last edited by jsharr; 02-26-07 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 12:31 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is how I solved some of my space problems. The Minoura B3000 bench mounted work stand is great.
This is a link to show what it looks like: https://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod1442.htm
Yes it was the first good link Google found from Austrailia.
Old 02-26-07, 12:53 PM
the royal 'we'
Batteries not included.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try checking around some of the bigger tool stores, like Sears, Lowes, etc. Sam's Club or Costco might be worth checking, too. I got a workbench a couple years ago at either Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember which), on closeout for around 120 bucks. I think it was originally around $200. Has a metal frame, pegboard on the back, tray shelf on top and shelf underneath, 2 tool drawers and plenty of space to mount vices and frame clamps, etc.

Normally I'd say build one, but for that price, it's prolly not worth the effort.
Old 02-26-07, 03:09 PM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
I'd agree that building your own bench is the way to do. I have a bench drill on one end and a bench grinder also. At the other I have a jig for an angle grinder and a dremmel type tool mounted there. In the middle I have a vice and I have a larger vice with pipe grips on the other bench. If you are into wheel-building/repairing you might want a truing stand fixed to another bench as well.
A few electric sockets along the front of the bench and you're set.
Old 03-05-07, 06:44 AM
aubeONE
1st Timer, be gentle...

Bikes: Aquila Road, NN (junker) MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built my own bench out of a steel saw horse from Canadian Tire and a few spare parts from an old roof rack system I used to have.

I have some pics of switching my bench between bike and ski duty, link below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...662790051&prev
Old 03-05-07, 07:18 AM
iNewton

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only college studs can make use of your link.
Old 03-05-07, 09:12 AM
bikerbob1

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro,Easy Racer Gold Rush, Norco

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the peg board bit as well. For the work bench I bought a couple old dressers from a garage sale for $25 each and attached a piece of 1" plywood to it. It measures 62 X 30. To spruce up the drabness of the dresser I purchased a few quarts cans of various colours of mismatched paint from the local paint store for a couple of bucks each. I painted the drawers different colours, I have pink and green and yellow. Looks fantastic. I have mounted a vise at one end and hung a flurescent light over the work area. The investment was next to nothing except for the vise
Old 03-05-07, 09:13 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
I would put some kind of white (easy to see parts) vinyl/plastic on the work bench surface with a beveled lip about 1/2 inch high all the way around so little parts don't fall into the black holes that are known to lurk in workshops.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-05-07, 10:51 AM
Gravity Worx
Parts Guy

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An 8 x 10 room is obviously not going to have much room, so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone as the saying goes.

Try looking at Sears Craftsman work benches. They are about 2' x 6' and have a small cabnet and drawers for tools and part storage.
Mine came with a galvanized steel top cover and works great. Only cost me about $100 if memory serves correct.
Then from there, I'd look at the fore mentioned peg board.

When complete, the room would be a small but very functional and hopefully well organized shop with only about $125 into the bench and all. Just add tools, bike stand, and the bike of course.
Old 03-05-07, 01:36 PM
cmdr
Don't call me sir

Bikes: 1954 Holdsworth 3 speed, 1969 Bob Jackson, 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred (retired), 1989 Schwinn Paramount, 2004 Santa Cruz Blur Classic, 2012 Specialized P3, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've built one for myself and one for my girlfriend. It took about 3 hours (each), a skil saw, a square, a cordless driver, and some 2 1/4in drywall screws. (clamps are helpful) The wood ran about 60 bucks.
It's not the easiest way, but it allowed me to get the stuff to my house since I have no truck. It also allowed for customization as far as working height and room dimentions.